Floyd Mayweather
Vasyl Lomanchenko
Canelo
Golovkin
Rigondeaux
Erilandy Lara
Charlo Brothers
Cotto

All examples of good footwork. But they were each meticulously taught.

do you know of any tutorials you can post? We can watch those guys but it still wont show us how to do the footwork we watch. MT footwork is nothing compared to boxing or even MMA but I feel if I could learn boxing footwork I can incorporate it into my MT and I would like to improve mine.

do you know of any tutorials you can post? We can watch those guys but it still wont show us how to do the footwork we watch. MT footwork is nothing compared to boxing or even MMA but I feel if I could learn boxing footwork I can incorporate it into my MT and I would like to improve mine.

I don't know of any off-hand that would explain footwork as I would. So it's difficult to say, almost every video on the subject that I've ever seen has some very detrimental aspects. Like, for instance, having the heels on the same line, which compromises lateral balance. I used to be METICULOUS with how I taught footwork, but nowadays the basic footwork my students learn is built into their drills. So they're not even fully aware that they're learning footwork.

Hey guys. I've been working on my footwork everyday at the advice of one of the coaches on my gym and more specifically I've been working on pivoting lately to create angles since I'm on the shorter side. I'd really appreciate some feedback and advice.

I can tell you have been training khan. I see improvements from the last time I saw one of your videos. You also seem fitter. Keep it up. Its not rocket science, as long we keep training, we cant do anything but improve. Having a coach would be your best option, but if you cannot have one, you can teach yourself, it will be a difficult and long road with much slower improvement compared to that of a coach, but it can be done. All fightings styles ever created, were at one point and time in history self taught. I have self taught myself quite a few things from studying fights, but as auries mentioned, it requires a more in depth understanding than most beginners have.

I kind of do have people to teach me a thing or 2, i have 3 people that help me out whenever they can when they don't i just shadowbox and try my best to work on virtually anything.

Theirs a guy whose from newark and did mma, boxing and muay thai. Theirs another guy who i've known for a while he is 5-0 in muay thai and is a champion and aparently he has training in a bunch of martial arts (capoeira, karate, kung fu, taekwondo) and the last guy he is an amatuer boxer (i was sparring with him yesterday for 10 mins straight non stop no rounds trying to get inside his reach and get past his guard and i did a lot of times).

So once i get to a fight gym, if i ever get to a fight gym, i'll probably be better then like 40% of the people in the gym.

Later on today I'll record a video executing some footwork maneuvers I learned through the years. Lots of ideas both for boxing and muay thai.

@dudeguyman and @ironkhan : be mindful of initiating the steps with the feet that is closer to where you wanna go. You both know it, I can tell, but sometimes got caught in momentum and do those little hops.

I've read in a @Sinister thread (which I don't remember exactly the name) these wise words:
DO: step and slide
DON'T: jump and run

Yeah, i was really looking to do the steps faster, but i forgot my principles "slow is fast, fast is slow". I should work on that next time.

Yeah, i was really looking to do the steps faster, but i forgot my principles "slow is fast, fast is slow". I should work on that next time.

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" i found this super important when shadowboxing for me because it helps with visualisation as well as technique. heres andre ward one of my favourite technical fighters shadow boxing

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" i found this super important when shadowboxing for me because it helps with visualisation as well as technique. heres andre ward one of my favourite technical fighters shadow boxing

I think Ward will be a good coach if he decides to go down that path.

I can tell what hes visualizing in the beginning. I need to get a little more imaginative with my shadowboxing like andre is.

I think Ward will be a good coach if he decides to go down that path.

Agree. its amazing what Virgil Hunter has done with him and i think the father/son type relationship has rubbed a lot of his teachings onto andre. when he speaks about boxing you can hear the passion

I can tell what hes visualizing in the beginning. I need to get a little more imaginative with my shadowboxing like andre is.

You can always start off with jabing and countering a return jab for a round then slowly work it up (eg. round 2 could be you jab then defend against a jab-cross)

ahh thats at ten goose gym. I found out about them not so long ago, maybe a 45 minute drive from me. I plan to visit them once i get back into fight shape.

I tried to film another footwork focused shadowboxing video, but the basketball courts were closed for a group yoga class, so i had to leave. Tomorrow i will film one.

I tried to film another footwork focused shadowboxing video,
Imo this does only make sense if you really have learned something new and for that its a pretty short time frame in between videos dont you think.

Its very difficult to learn new footwork without a coach in its transfer into actual sparring and not only looking fancy but as many others I dont have coaching that focuses on that (have learned near everything up until now on my own) so I am glad about any input like these threads.

Last edited:
Imo this does only make sense if you really have learned something new and for that its a pretty short time frame in between videos dont you think.

Its very difficult to learn new footwork without a coach in its transfer into actual sparring and not only looking fancy but as many others I dont have coaching that focuses on that (have learned near everything up until now on my own) so I am glad about any input.

I didn't learn anything new i just worked on a few aspects. One thing i'm trying to work on is a dart step. But thats not for at least 2 weeks to learn that. I kind of improved the footwork i was doing in the other video.

I didn't learn anything new i just worked on a few aspects. One thing i'm trying to work on is a dart step. But thats not for at least 2 weeks to learn that. I kind of improved the footwork i was doing in the other video.

What do you mean by dart step?
I use a dashing double jab, the way I throw it is by using pendulum steppping and doing a half rythm step so instead of throwing a 1-2 with pendulum steps I throw 2 jabs while moving forward, I think it's the easiest but you have to synchronize your hands and feet. Push with the rear leg and think your lead hand and rear leg as two ends of a string.

Last edited:
What do you mean by dart step?
I use a dashing double jab, the way I throw it is by using pendulum steppping and doing a half rythm step so instead of throwing a 1-2 with pendulum steps I throw 2 jabs while moving forward, I think it's the easiest but you have to synchronize your hands and feet. Push with the rear leg and think your lead hand and rear leg as two ends of a string.

The double jab has nothing to do with the dart step i should actually call it a power step because thats what one of my old instructors called it. A dart step is when you push on the rear leg and launch yourself into a right hand (or whatever attack you want to do). Obviously i can't do it now effectively now it's not even a proper dart step, but i will work on it for the next 2 weeks, then i'll see if i can do it effectively on the bag.

I'm just trying to broaden my base.

Isn't it a dashing punch?

I guess you can call it that, but it's called a dart punch because you launch yourself with your right leg, into your opponet (not flying obviously) and hit a single punch or a 1-2. It's one step though.

I can do something similar with the double jab, it covers much more distance than a single jump. The first jab is to cover some distance and disguise the move a little it will probably not land, I think it can work against retreating opponents.

You're saying to hit the 1-2 mid air while jumping, yes I can do that but it's sloppy, the opponent can send you flying if he catches you mid air.

Last edited:
I can do something similar with the double jab, it covers much more distance than a single jump. The first jab is to cover some distance and disguise the move a little it will probably not land, I think it can work against retreating opponents.

You're saying to hit the 1-2 mid air while jumping, yes I can do that but it's sloppy, the opponent can send you flying if he catches you mid air.

No it's not in mid air it's on the ground. It's like a skip really. You know how sprinters start off the races, they launch off their rear foot. It's kind of like that except not too wide and it's like a skip.

Last edited:
Back