Give Dan Kelly 1 more shot!

lagofala

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
UFC veteran Daniel Kelly makes emotional plea for Adelaide swan song
TIME is running out for Daniel and Erik Kelly.
The fight game is drawing to a rapid close for dad Daniel, while Erik is putting up a brave fight with a deadly illness.

That’s why Daniel, a four-time judo Olympian and 10-fight veteran of the UFC, wants a swan song.

And the Melburnian is desperate for his ailing son Erik to be part of his final journey to the octagon.

“I just want one more fight,” Daniel pleaded.

“I want one more opportunity so that Erik can walk out with me.

“I’ve been against it in the past, but I saw Mark Hunt’s son walk about with him in Perth, I see Jake Matthews walk out with his dad Mick and the relationship that Jim Crute and his dad Gary have got and I think it would be great for Erik to experience that with me.

“I’ve had some really good fights in Australia and the crowds have got behind me, so I think it would be good for everyone to see me one last time.”

Erik, a 12-year-old high school student, has a kidney-killing disease.

But he won’t let it define him.

Diagnosed when he was an infant, Erik needs medication for cystinosis, a rare disease that attacks the kidneys, eyes, liver, muscles, pancreas, brain and white blood cells.

Without specific treatment, children with cystinosis develop end-stage kidney failure about age nine.

Erik already needs a transplant, but continues to attack life head on.

Daniel knows he could outlive his son, but he is determined to cherish every moment.

And to stride to the octagon in front of a packed house at Adelaide Entertainment Centre on December 2 would be the highlight of his career.

“He has a hard time in life and it’s hard yakka for him, but I’d like to do it,” Daniel said.

“I broached it with him and he said ‘I don’t want to be in the way’ and I said ‘you won’t be in the way, mate, I want you there’.

“I want to share that moment with him. My youngest boy is too young, he’s only eight, but I want to share this with Erik and I think it would be a good experience for him as well.

“I’m an emotional guy as well, but it would be very, very special.”

Make it happen Maynard.

Cummings vs Kelly.

Last edited:
Lmao Ozzie's actually pay for herald and telegraph?

My oh my.

ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER? LOG IN TO CONTINUE

<DisgustingHHH><Deported1><Deported1>
Oops. Didn't know there's a paywall.

The fight game is drawing to a rapid close for dad Daniel, while Erik is putting up a brave fight with a deadly illness.

That’s why Daniel, a four-time judo Olympian and 10-fight veteran of the UFC, wants a swan song.

And the Melburnian is desperate for his ailing son Erik to be part of his final journey to the octagon.

“I’ve been against it in the past, but I saw Mark Hunt’s son walk about with him in Perth, I see Jake Matthews walk out with his dad Mick and the relationship that Jim Crute and his dad Gary have got and I think it would be great for Erik to experience that with me.

“I’ve had some really good fights in Australia and the crowds have got behind me, so I think it would be good for everyone to see me one last time.”

Diagnosed when he was an infant, Erik needs medication for cystinosis, a rare disease that attacks the kidneys, eyes, liver, muscles, pancreas, brain and white blood cells.

Without specific treatment, children with cystinosis develop end-stage kidney failure about age nine.

Daniel knows he could outlive his son, but he is determined to cherish every moment.

And to stride to the octagon in front of a packed house at Adelaide Entertainment Centre on December 2 would be the highlight of his career.

“He has a hard time in life and it’s hard yakka for him, but I’d like to do it,” Daniel said.

“I broached it with him and he said ‘I don’t want to be in the way’ and I said ‘you won’t be in the way, mate, I want you there’.

“I want to share that moment with him. My youngest boy is too young, he’s only eight, but I want to share this with Erik and I think it would be a good experience for him as well.

Kelly wants to give his very ill son an experience.

Oops. Didn't know there's a paywall.

Thanks I think you should update the OP with this.

Also lol at this plea. Imagine it backfiring spectacularly and he gets KTFO right in front of his ailing son.

Dan Kelly truly the GOAT!

Wow, that is truly heart breaking

he shoulda had him walk out with him when he fought Rashad or Antonio Carlos Junior.

also, holy shit at "4 time Olympian". Australia either has a shit Judo team or Daniel Kelly is a monster.

he shoulda had him walk out with him when he fought Rashad or Antonio Carlos Junior.

also, holy shit at "4 time Olympian". Australia either has a shit Judo team or Daniel Kelly is a monster.

Didn't he compete in like 2000? The dude is at least 40 now and managed to compete at a fairly high level in the UFC at that age, I think it's safe to say he was probably a fairly athletic dude in his prime years.

Love the guy. Really bizarre but kinda effective style. Amazing how he was 13-1 at one point.

Give the king of dad bods one more shot, it's not like the Adelaide card is going to be stacked with better fighters than Dan Kelly anyway.

Didn't he compete in like 2000? The dude is at least 40 now and managed to compete at a fairly high level in the UFC at that age, I think it's safe to say he was probably a fairly athletic dude in his prime years.

yeah, but a 4 time Olympian, that's 16 years. that's a crazy long time to be able to make the Olympics 4 times.

Very sad to read. Why not give him another shot?
Needs to be a cupcake opponent though.

His TKO of Antonia Carlos Jr. was one of those old lion, feel good moments. They gave him some killers in Brunson and Breese.

Give him a guy in his age bracket and let him share this moment with his son. As others have said, I would really hate for him to get KO'd in front of his son, though; but this is what papa does for a living.

Dad bod Dan is tough as run dmc leather

Back