Giving Homeless People Money

I do here and there (a 20$ sometimes) - but it is hard for me to feel bad or sympathize often. I see this old asian guy walking around picking bottles - never asks for money. Then there some kid (druggie) at the stop light with brand new nikes, champion hoodie and new jeans on with a sign asking for money.

I'm always a few dumb decisions away from being a street person, so I try to give it i have anything extra.

I honestly love when someone when someone comes up to me at the gas station and says they ran out of gas and don't have their wallet and no cellphone. Makes me lol really hard

Earlier today, an older man walked up to me and asked if I can give him $10. He looked homeless, but I don't remember if he told me he was. Long story short, he said he's an army vet suffering from combat PTSD and needed the money for a 60-mile bus ride. The man started to get emotional when he talked about how shitty the past day or two has been for him. Now, the story was depressing and I believe more likely than not, he was telling the truth. However, I always try to be a little skeptical about these kinds of things. Also, maybe I'm just a cheap piece of shit, but $10 isn't something I like to give away to some stranger. I ended up only giving him $1. What do you think? Should I have just given him $10? What are your personal experiences with this?

Most of the time it is a hustle and in many cases you are just feeding the problem. I have heard stories of people buying homeless people a sandwich and having it thrown back in their faces or people buying homes with begging money. Sometimes they just want money for drugs. We already pay a lot in taxes to help people who need assistance. If you want to help people, give to an accredited charity and if someone harasses you for money suggest they seek out support from that charity.

I can't believe how many people in developed countries are saying they give bums change. They are called bums because they are to lazy to work, or because they spend all their money on hard drugs/booze.

When i was in the sand box i ALWAYS gave those desitute kids on the side of the road food. I had to stop buying drinks and viddles at the PX because I would throw it all out of my truck to the kids a few minutes after leaving the wire.

But giving bums in the states change when they could easily get a job at taco bell to support their booze habit? Fuck all that.

I’m all for giving money to homeless shelters, just not so much the homeless. I do give them food sometimes. I just think giving them money for imaginary bus rides is not a good investment.

I give them money for drugs because that’s all I was going to spend it on anyway.

I can't believe how many people in developed countries are saying they give bums change. They are called bums because they are to lazy to work, or because they spend all their money on hard drugs/booze.

When i was in the sand box i ALWAYS gave those desitute kids on the side of the road food. I had to stop buying drinks and viddles at the PX because I would throw it all out of my truck to the kids a few minutes after leaving the wire.

But giving bums in the states change when they could easily get a job at taco bell to support their booze habit? Fuck all that.
Rather, I think they're smart. They set their own schedule, answer to no one, get high all day and do whatever they want. All they have to worry about is people on the internet criticizing them. If I didnt have any pride, I'd do it.

Earlier today, an older man walked up to me and asked if I can give him $10. He looked homeless, but I don't remember if he told me he was. Long story short, he said he's an army vet suffering from combat PTSD and needed the money for a 60-mile bus ride. The man started to get emotional when he talked about how shitty the past day or two has been for him. Now, the story was depressing and I believe more likely than not, he was telling the truth. However, I always try to be a little skeptical about these kinds of things. Also, maybe I'm just a cheap piece of shit, but $10 isn't something I like to give away to some stranger. I ended up only giving him $1. What do you think? Should I have just given him $10? What are your personal experiences with this?
I don't blame you for only giving him one dollar, asking for $10 is a bit much though if the story is true and he's desperate I understand that as well.
If the guy lied to me and spent the money on drugs, I wouldn't have felt good about that at all.
Whenever I give money to homeless people I already accept that its a strong possibility that they spend it on drugs.

Back when I was 18, I was filling up my car at the gas station and this homeless mom and young girl, were pushing a shopping cart of cans , ratty clothes. I felt horrible for the young girl so I gave them all the money I had in my pocket, around $60 or so. I felt good until I realized I filled up my car on gas and had no way of paying for it. I thought about asking for a $20 back, but called my dad instead to come and give me some cash for the gas.

Back when I was 18, I was filling up my car at the gas station and this homeless mom and young girl, were pushing a shopping cart of cans , ratty clothes. I felt horrible for the young girl so I gave them all the money I had in my pocket, around $60 or so. I felt good until I realized I filled up my car on gas and had no way of paying for it. I thought about asking for a $20 back, but called my dad instead to come and give me some cash for the gas.
<{CMPALM}>

The other day when I was driving to work I got to one corner where panhandlers stand at just the right time to see a guy “clocking in.” He jumped out of an almost new minivan.

I m abit torn on the matter. I feel alot of empathy for the "nice guy bums" who just try to get by in a shitty life.

But the hard core bum who is drunk, stinking like death, whose skin has like 5 different disease and who just sleeps in a metro taking up 2 seats and disturbing everyone can go fuck himself.

At one point does it become ok to say that some humans are a nuisance to others and that authorities should just put them in some camp somewhere with forced reeducation?

IDK but some of the bums are fuckin rotten and are essentially commiting slow suicide anyways.

I prefer to give food and water but will give money occasionally.

tons of homeless belong in institutions and could never acclimate to modern society and are extremely mentally ill, so the get a job bum blanket statement is shit tbh

The person I mentioned asked for money for food specifically.
In Toronto I've been asked endlessly for 'money for food' or 'money for the subway'. When I have said no and offered to buy them food instead or offered to use a subway token to get them into the subway i've been declined way more than its been accepted.

That said i have bought a lot of meals over the years.

I would say it does, yes. All you need to know is that those people, ifnthey’re asking for money, most likely need it more than you do. I’m not saying you should give money to everyone who asks. But I am saying you should be willing to part with a dollar some of the time to help people less fortunate than yourself. And I think the assumption that they are all addicts, or people who choose to be homeless, is spurious. I think it’s just a simple, go-to justification for being an asshole and not wanting to give anyone money for fear that they may be getting over on you. But my opinion is, who cares if they are? So what? You lost a dollar and gained the opportunity to help someone. Big fucking deal.
I couldn't disagree with this more. I think you are enabling. It gives you and others a temporary 'I did something' feel good high but you don't want to consider how those type of actions may end up keeping people on the street longer than they otherwise might be.

There is no more obvious tell, when someone knows they’re wrong, than when they try to completely mischaracterize the argument they are trying to argue against.
But you are criticizing him for taking actions based on his assumptions of them while you then do the exact same thing in giving them money based on your assumption of them.

10 bucks....What are you crazy... I dont have that kind of money

Rather, I think they're smart. They set their own schedule, answer to no one, get high all day and do whatever they want. All they have to worry about is people on the internet criticizing them. If I didnt have any pride, I'd do it.
True, now you have me rethinking all my lifes decisions. If I didnt have people that rely on me I would take the life of a bum into serious consideration.

Theres some pretty nice bridges in my city that i could live under.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back