Glass jaws in boxing.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The term "glass jaw" gets thrown around a lot these days. When a fighter gets knocked out, he's said to have a glass jaw. Some say that the problem is less the fighter's chin and more his poor defense.

What do you think? Is there such a thing as a glass jaw? And who are some fighters the majority can agree have one?

The term "glass jaw" gets thrown around a lot these days. When a fighter gets knocked out, he's said to have a glass jaw. Some say that the problem is less the fighter's chin and more his poor defense.

What do you think? Is there such a thing as a glass jaw? And who are some fighters the majority can agree have one?
I go back and forth on it. People will say Terry Norris is chinny but then post a clip of him getting starched by one of the sports biggest punchers as proof. People said Mugabi couldn't take a shot but he went toe to toe with Hagler for what, 11 rounds?
Khan will go 12 rounds with Maidana but gets the shaky leg from Algieri.

I don't think its a simple yes or no. I think a lot of intangibles are involved.

latest

A thread about glass chins with Amir Khan in it ???

Id have never guessed that

I go back and forth on it. People will say Terry Norris is chinny but then post a clip of him getting starched by one of the sports biggest punchers as proof. People said Mugabi couldn't take a shot but he went toe to toe with Hagler for what, 11 rounds?
Khan will go 12 rounds with Maidana but gets the shaky leg from Algieri.

I don't think its a simple yes or no. I think a lot of intangibles are involved.

I know a lot of intangibles are in this, but Norris had a glass chin.

He was wobbled plenty of times throughtout his career by non punchers, and even knocked down by jabs at times, the one fight that strikes a chord with him for me is his with Simon Brown. He was wobbled nearly every time he was touched. And Brown is not a big puncher.

I know a lot of intangibles are in this, but Norris had a glass chin.

He was wobbled plenty of times throughtout his career by non punchers, and even knocked down by jabs at times, the one fight that strikes a chord with him for me is his with Simon Brown. He was wobbled nearly every time he was touched. And Brown is not a big puncher.
I can't say I recall Brown's entire career from memory but I can't really recall him being feather fisted.

Amir Khan
David price
Audley Harrison

Ha that's exactly who I was thinking of. All have/had terrible chins. All of them were expected to achieve a lot more than their chins allowed.

The thing about Khan is that when he gets hurt, he stays hurt. He was hurt for pretty much a whole round against Maidana, and he was still hurt at the beginning of the 4th round after being knocked down by Garcia.

There are glass chins but those get weeded out in the higher pro ranks

It has to do with age reaction and some plain are glass

Ha that's exactly who I was thinking of. All have/had terrible chins. All of them were expected to achieve a lot more than their chins allowed.
Some of the best bits of commentary I have ever heard comes from David price fights. The Thompson interview where he says his wife's gonna get her hip broken after.. and the fury big stiff idiot lines are amazing. Apart from that I feel sorry for price.

Fraudley was always a fraud. And Khan has done pretty well for having a bad chin.

I can't say I recall Brown's entire career from memory but I can't really recall him being feather fisted.

He wasn't Malignaggi, but he didnt really put people to sleep to the point where his jab would stun someone, never mind knock them down.

And it wasnt just the jab, he wobbled him every single time he landed, Norris had a bad chin, maybe not made of glass(which is an overated term) but he didnt take a shot well.

I dont think people with 'glass' chins ever get to fight or win a world title, its just an overated term coined by god knows who

Simon Brown wasn't Julian Jackson, but he was a decent puncher. Norris didn't take a great shot, though.

Tommy Morrison had a glass jaw.

I would suggest you go watch his fight against Lewis and then try again.

He got hit with some fucking hard shots throughout his career against a lot of fighters, i think you are mistaking with a fighter being stunned by a big shot and being unable to defend themselves, to being chinny.

My top 3 glass jaws are Roy Jones, Wladimir Klitschko and without a doubt my #1 choice is Amir Khan.

Amir Khan
David price
Audley Harrison
Ricky Hatton
Lawrence Okolie
David Howe
Michael Bisping (MMA)
George Groves
Luke Campbell (not KO'd but been wobbled in every major fight)

They dont call it the UK Glass for nothing

Ricky Hatton
Lawrence Okolie
David Howe
Michael Bisping (MMA)
George Groves
Luke Campbell (not KO'd but been wobbled in every major fight)

They dont call it the UK Glass for nothing
Ricky Hatton didn't have a glass jaw. That's ridiculous.
George Groves chin isn't that bad either. You're reaching....

And I could pick half a dozen american fighters with poor chins and claim US glass

Back