Glory 44 Chicago: Doumbé, Groenhart, Abraham, Jacoby, van Soest, Moroșanu [25th August]

Broadcast

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
20106471_1395227977225232_1072299085548307357_n.jpg

GLORY 44 CHICAGO

WELTERWEIGHT TITLE:

• Cédric Doumbé vs. Murthel Groenhart
SUPERFIGHTS:
  • Richard Abraham vs. Daniel Morales
WELTERWEIGHT TOURNAMENT 1/2 FINALES
  • Casey Greene vs. Antoine Pinto
  • Karim Benmansour vs. Harut Grigorian

GLORY 44 SUPERFIGHT SERIES

SUPER BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE :
  • Tiffany van Soest vs. Funda Alkayiş
CO-MAIN EVENT:
  • Cătălin Moroșanu vs. Michal Turynski
SUPERFIGHTS:
  • Dustin Jacoby vs. Sean Choice
  • Warren Thompson vs. Robert Thomas
  • Rafal Dudek vs. Nate Richardson
  • Victor Pinto vs. Adrian Maxim
www.boxemag.com

Greene is out the tournement is replaced by Zach Bunnell (link)

Nice title fight the rest is decent but not great.

pretty sure the Richard Abraham and Cor Hemmers meet up happened months ago for another event, and they just rereleased the video and deleted the old one.

good promotion.

Nothing to get really excited about here, unfortunately.

The main title fight is all I really care about.

Edit: well, Soest of course <3

Glory should get into their head that North America is not a place for Kickboxing,

They should focus on Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

Man, you guys are some negative mother f*ckers like usual. I think it's wise for Glory to do some North American cards as well as the European cards they have been doing lately and soon Asian cards too. It's a global sport with a lot of international talent from all over the world and the U.S. and Canada are important territories for their long term success along with the strongholds in Europe and China on the horizon. I appreciate the regularity of Glory's cards lately, approximately once per month and there are a lot of fighters I know here and some fun matchups, so not sure why people are complaining. It's not like it's a PPV which most people would stream anyway.

Man, you guys are some negative mother f*ckers like usual. I think it's wise for Glory to do some North American cards as well as the European cards they have been doing lately and soon Asian cards too. It's a global sport with a lot of international talent from all over the world and the U.S. and Canada are important territories for their long term success along with the strongholds in Europe and China on the horizon. I appreciate the regularity of Glory's cards lately, approximately once per month and there are a lot of fighters I know here and some fun matchups, so not sure why people are complaining. It's not like it's a PPV which most people would stream anyway.
no one here gives a shit where the fights take place. people are bitching because it is a sub par card especially for an organization claiming to be the biggest and best in the world. They have all of like 3 top 10 fighters on the whole show and if it was not for the main event it would be 1 who is a significantly over rated women.

The regularity is great but at the same time I don't see a reason to ignore the overall quality of fighters has dipped quite severely over time. Also I'd assume strictly speaking Glory is a fully paid product for most here. SFS behind fight pass and other than Americans with ESPN3 who the f--- gets Glory main cards live for free even half the time?

I guess the head of US operations for Glory is a hater too since they fired him for making the same points we make about Glory and Kickboxing in general in the US. All of the issues he brought up went on def ears.

Guys its an USA card no need for super fights. As long as they can scream USA and ppl get KOd its a good event.

Most ppl wont see diffrence in quality anyway

Most ppl wont see diffrence in quality anyway
I don't think banking on the ignorance of your viewership is a smart and sustainable business plan.

I know a lot of people wrote off Glory because of the Bellator Dynamite event. Good fighters typically result in good fights. The product should be presented at its highest level if you are trying to get fans to buy into your organization being the premiere league.

no one here gives a shit where the fights take place. people are bitching because it is a sub par card especially for an organization claiming to be the biggest and best in the world. They have all of like 3 top 10 fighters on the whole show and if it was not for the main event it would be 1 who is a significantly over rated women.
No one cares where the fights take place? Do you mean except for the one person in the thread who I was responding to who specifically mentioned the location being inappropriate, right? Secondly, there is no 'par" for fight cards, so what does sub-par mean? If Glory is trying to build a promotion and with it a sport, hiring solely top ten fighters resulting in a very small number of super-stacked fight cards only a few times per year and nothing else is going to get them nowhere to build an audience and is counter productive.

The regularity is great but at the same time I don't see a reason to ignore the overall quality of fighters has dipped quite severely over time. Also I'd assume strictly speaking Glory is a fully paid product for most here. SFS behind fight pass and other than Americans with ESPN3 who the f--- gets Glory main cards live for free even half the time?
I won't compare the product now to the very early days of the promotion because from what I understand that was a very different era in the evolution of the company and I wasn't watching then either. But suggesting that Glory's roster is worse now in the last couple of years since they went to ESPN than it was when they were on Spike in the U.S. is madness. There are so many more top fighters and international fighters from countries all over the world fighting in Glory now than there were a few years ago, including top fighters who were champions or rated highly in other promotions. I imagine that it helps that in kickboxing, unlike MMA, a lot of the international fighters are able to bounce back and forth into or out of Glory to take fights in other promotions or in tournaments overseas so that surely helps attract good talent too.

As far as Glory being a fully paid product, it depends on where you live, right, as there are all kinds of international tv deals going on. Each person would have to know where it is in their own country. As an American, I don't consider the SFS being "behind" Fight Pass as a negative thing, as every single person I know who watches Glory in North America is an MMA fan who already subscribes to Fight Pass for the $89.95 a year pittance it costs. It would be a rare unicorn in North America who dislikes MMA and the UFC, doesn't have Fight Pass and only exclusively watches kickboxing, but not other combat sports. Likewise with The Fight Network for Canadians. Maybe you guys in other countries who can't get the main cards on ESPN3 online or ESPN on tv have Glory on one of your local tv channels- either in English or local language- but you're a cord cutter and refuse to pay for tv either. So whose fault is it if you can't watch Glory there if you're not paying for cable or satellite tv service either? I wouldn't even knock you if it was seriously just not available by any method in your country and you resorted to streaming it unauthorized. If so, what are you complaining about?

Sure it does come down to money, doesn't change the fact that this is a pretty bad card with subpar promotional effort behind it.

No one cares where the fights take place?

I mean, he's not wrong. Shadess broke down the viewing numbers and there is literally no progress happening at all on ESPN.

Come on! The have 7 divisions (6 men and 1 women). That makes 70 top 10 fighters and they only have 18 people fighting per event(10 fights but 3 of those use a total of 4 fighters because of the tournament every event). So even if they did 14 events in a year it would be possible to fill every single fight with 2 ranked fighters

This event is clearly sub par compared to events glory has run since leaving spike. More than half the card is filled with lower level fighters

Also glory is claiming they are getting $25 million form one investment firm a year but they surely are not spending anywhere close to 2 million on any event they have had this year and can't even be close to even half that on this event

Sure it does come down to money, doesn't change the fact that this is a pretty bad card with subpar promotional effort behind it.

I mean, he's not wrong. Shadess broke down the viewing numbers and there is literally no progress happening at all on ESPN.
Is it really realistic though to expect Glory alone to have the power to turn kickboxing into a much more popular sport in North America that gets much bigger ratings on tv, even if they spent a lot of time and money to do it? What the UFC did for MMA in the very early 2000s was a once in a lifetime confluence of people, personalities, a gamblers mentality and societal changes combined with a lot of luck. You can't expect that to happen again for kickboxing. It's a niche combat sport that is a distant third place behind MMA & boxing and it's unlikely to catch up any time soon. That doesn't mean the people who are fans can't enjoy it anyway and hope it slowly grows. Just from my anecdotal observations and talking to other fans on the MMA forums on Sherdog and elsewhere, Glory's presence on Spike and now Fight Pass and ESPN at least convinced a lot of MMA fans to check them out and continue watching. That's really what they should expect, not some miraculous explosion of popularity out of nowhere.

Is it really realistic though to expect Glory alone to have the power to turn kickboxing into a much more popular sport in North America that gets much bigger ratings on tv, even if they spent a lot of time and money to do it? What the UFC did for MMA in the very early 2000s was a once in a lifetime confluence of people, personalities, a gamblers mentality and societal changes combined with a lot of luck. You can't expect that to happen again for kickboxing. It's a niche combat sport that is a distant third place behind MMA & boxing and it's unlikely to catch up any time soon. That doesn't mean the people who are fans can't enjoy it anyway and hope it slowly grows. Just from my anecdotal observations and talking to other fans on the MMA forums on Sherdog and elsewhere, Glory's presence on Spike and now Fight Pass and ESPN at least convinced a lot of MMA fans to check them out and continue watching. That's really what they should expect, not some miraculous explosion of popularity out of nowhere.

The big issue really is a significant lack of US talent compared to MMA which never would have taken off it was only made up of Europeans and Brazilians.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but this card sucks.

From my anecdotal experience and talking to mma fans on forums a lot of them have been turned off of Glory from shitty cards like this, endless rematches and shady decisions.

The one forum where I talk mma they used to make threads and live discussions on Glory cards which stopped long ago.

Back