Glory 49 & Redemption: Verhoeven vs Ben Saddik

Grigorian is the most overhyped fighter ever. He is incredibly one dimensional and you know what you are getting every single time he fights. I'll take prime Sato any day. See how Marat handles those gut munching knees and a level of pressure that is even more harsher than his.
OMG really? Like the most overhyped fighter EVER? Like in the history of the human species LOL

He showed improvements in his last fight. Was very patient against Mohamed. Yes he can be one dimensional at times but that doesn't make him overhyped. I've said Yodwicha was one dimensional a few times in the past but I never called him overhyped. Marat is a solid fighter who is constantly getting better. Of course you're going to pick Sato. You're in love with those older generation K1 fighters.

From what i remember he took Kyshenkos punches pretty well. And that is a guy that beat Yodsanklai.

Kyshenko beat a lazy much smaller Yodsanklai. Lets not forget that. That was at a very bad stage of Yod's career. Yod would of done a lot better if it was the Yod we saw later on in Kunlun.

Seriously, just to reiterate... I'm sick of hearing about Marat fucking Grigorian. Most overrated fighter in Sherdog history. Please make it stop. I'm begging you...

He's a journeyman. He's this generations Mike Zambidis. Lets get the facts straight.
Can we at least see how he does against Superbon? And a journeyman? Come on bro stop exaggerating. It doesn't help your argument.

Who is throwing a switch lead roundhouse like Buakaw today? Look at him. He's at another level in this fight.

As much as Buakaw sometimes gets hate in here, seeing him fighting was just beautiful back then. Don't think there have been a fighter with the same athleticism and clean kicking technique since then.

This seems to be a trend in most combat sports. The past will always be respected more than the present. Mayweather says he's better than Ali and I believed he had a good argument but so many boxing fans will get their panties in a twist. Its years after fighters retire that they start getting the respect they deserved.

I'm reading some of the comments and I genuinely dont see it. You can call me biased or whatever but I try be as open minded as possible. I truly believe fighters are more evolved and educated today than they were back then. Buakaw wouldn't be able to run through some of the fighters today like he did back then. Even someone like Davit Kiria could possibly give him that Kem treatment.

There were some good fighters during the K1 max days who could do well today but overall I think there are more today. Its debatable and we will never truly know but its my opinion. And Buakaw probably wouldn't of even fought Sittichai or superbon if they were fighting back then. Why didn't he fight Yod who was calling out? I think we all know why.

As much as Buakaw sometimes gets hate in here, seeing him fighting was just beautiful back then. Don't think there have been a fighter with the same athleticism and clean kicking technique since then.
Petpanomrung

This seems to be a trend in most combat sports. The past will always be respected more than the present. Mayweather says he's better than Ali and I believed he had a good argument but so many boxing fans will get their panties in a twist. Its years after fighters retire that they start getting the respect they deserved.

I'm reading some of the comments and I genuinely dont see it. You can call me biased or whatever but I try be as open minded as possible. I truly believe fighters are more evolved and educated today than they were back then. Buakaw wouldn't be able to run through some of the fighters today like he did back then. Even someone like Davit Kiria could possibly give him that Kem treatment.

There were some good fighters during the K1 max days who could do well today but overall I think there are more today. Its debatable and we will never truly know but its my opinion. And Buakaw probably wouldn't of even fought Sittichai or superbon if they were fighting back then. Why didn't he fight Yod who was calling out? I think we all know why.
Buakaw would beat Kiria if they fough today

I agree with the first part 100% but Kiria on the best day of his career would not beat the Buakaw of today.

How so? Pet has put kicking clinics on some of the best thai fighters out there.

I'm talking kicking technique, athleticism and how he put those things together. Or in other words the aesthetic of his fighting style. Not fighting ability.

No, not even close.

It depends on the opponent

I mean, Sagetdao isn't a particularly good kicker but you'd think he was when seeing the clip that you posted in the Thailand thread.

Same goes for Samkor, Kongnapa (Gonnapar), Pajonsuk (people lost their shit when he fought in K-1 for the first time) and lots of Thais who can exploit fighters who don't know how to space themselves and avoid the hundred kick medley.

Kongsak in his prime was getting incredible recoil on lots of his kicks and his opponents actually had a clue of what to do. I can't imagine the beatdowns he would have put on 126-135 pound foreigners and kickboxers at the time.

Also give me Sam-A, Nong-O and Prajantchai.

See above. Of course you look better against worse opponents, and most thais would kick the living shit out of most foreigners.

Big fan of heavy Buriram kickers like Singdam, Kongsak, Petpanomrung and especially Superlek, but kickers like that usually smash there opponent with one kick, when Buakaw mixed it up with one of the best switch kicks I've seen so far.

He had a attractive fighting style, not sure what else to tell you. Probably heavily subjective as well.

See above. Of course you look better against worse opponents, and most thais would kick the living shit out of most foreigners.

Doesn't agreeing with this contradict and deflate your reasoning for why you view Buakaw as such a great kicker?

I agree with the first part 100% but Kiria on the best day of his career would not beat the Buakaw of today.
Yeah I agree most likely not but I think kiria is still a decent fighter that probably could of held his own back in Buakaws day. He's just been losing a lot recently because he fights many other good fighters.

felt like the introduction to the new Max for me. Was pretty hyped for that tournament.

Well i think the discussion was about kickboxers, not nak muays. Kongsak and Singdam probably have harder kicks than Buakaw and also more useful kicks against a wide range of opponents. What i like about Buakaw is the way he put together super fast round kicks and teeps and low kick defense he was almost invincible in kickboxing. Sittichai and Superbon at least aren't close. I'd say Petpanomrung kicks just as fast as Buakaw but with more damaging power. I'd say he is a better kicker, maybe not as asthetic looking though.

If Samkor wasn't a good kicker then who is? I though he was known for his hard kicks? Are the current top 130-135 lbs guys that much better at kicking than he was? Panpayak sure but i don't know if its fair to say he wasn't a very good kicker.

I don't buy the argument of fighters being more used to thais. Thais have been fighting internationally for decades and their opposition still can't handle a good kicker most of the times. Sato fought alot of times against thais, Masato, Kraus, Drago several times. No way the average 2017 kickboxer have more fights against good thais than those guys.

samkor was like yodsanklai in that when they fought in the stadiums their kicks were not even considered their best weapon. It just they are known for it now because as soon as the hit the international scene they started obliterating opponents with them. Samkor was more a clinch knee fighter in the Thai stadiums and yod had much more success with elbows than kicks also

samkor was like yodsanklai in that when they fought in the stadiums their kicks were not even considered their best weapon. It just they are known for it now because as soon as the hit the international scene they started obliterating opponents with them. Samkor was more a clinch knee fighter in the Thai stadiums and yod had much more success with elbows than kicks also

Really? Every Samkor video i've seen (against other thais) he was roundhousing guys, even greats like Sangtiennoi. He had a strong clinch game but to me his roundhouse is what really stands out when you watch him.

Back