Glory 56 Denver Thread

Lame, that time the challenger deserved the decision and he didn't get it. At least it was somewhat close or debatable unlike the ladies fight.

I don't really see that happening. None of other kickboxing promotions are even a factor in the North American market or on tv. Glory has been doing well on their own and signing talent for fights as appropriate. It's not like the MMA business of the mid-2000s. They don't need to try to put other organizations out of business or sign a bunch of fighters to exclusive contracts to dominate. They can co-exist in different parts of the world in such a niche sport.
lion fight if it still exists

Damn

Haven't watched any fights yet but i trust the sherdog people about robberies morw than the judges. We all need to protest against this robbery then!

Meksen and Ilunga are more than robbed. This is direction cheating. I don' t know what Glory officials will say, but i will write to them officially. The judges have seen different fights. Looking at Glory statistics Danyo had around 490 punches and Kicks etc. Artem 250 - how can this be??? This is not acceptable.

Damn

Haven't watched any fights yet but i trust the sherdog people about robberies morw than the judges. We all need to protest against this robbery then!

Last edited:
lion fight if it still exists
I used to watch every Lion Fight show when it was on AXS TV, but then they went behind a very expensive subscription paywall at FloCombat a few cards ago. I know that they are still doing shows lately in the U.K. as a co-promotion with Muay Thai Grand Prix and elsewhere because I saw some publicity and interviews online. But there can't be many eyeballs on it with this kind of distribution platform.

Meksen and Ilunga are more than robbed. This is direction cheating. I don' t know what Glory officials will say, but i will write to them officially. The judges have seen different fights. Looking at Glory statistics Danyo had around 490 punches and Kicks etc. Artem 250 - how can this be??? This is not acceptable.
I'm convinced that a lot of bad judging in all combat sports has to do with where the judges sit. Putting judges on a chair ringside or cageside looking up at the action on a raised platform just makes for terrible viewing angles. They simply can't see what the hell is going on, especially if it goes to the far side of the ring or cage away from them or goes to the floor in MMA. Athletic commissions need to give up on this and let the judges watch monitors like the fans see on the broadcast. It's a million times better for them to see what is happening including the live action and replays and highlights on the broadcast.

I used to watch every Lion Fight show when it was on AXS TV, but then they went behind a very expensive subscription paywall at FloCombat a few cards ago. I know that they are still doing shows lately in the U.K. as a co-promotion with Muay Thai Grand Prix and elsewhere because I saw some publicity and interviews online. But there can't be many eyeballs on it with this kind of distribution platform.

Its a damn shame too because Lion Fights was great.

If there is one thing Glory is consistent at since day one it is horrendous judging.

I'm convinced that a lot of bad judging in all combat sports has to do with where the judges sit. Putting judges on a chair ringside or cageside looking up at the action on a raised platform just makes for terrible viewing angles. They simply can't see what the hell is going on, especially if it goes to the far side of the ring or cage away from them or goes to the floor in MMA. Athletic commissions need to give up on this and let the judges watch monitors like the fans see on the broadcast. It's a million times better for them to see what is happening including the live action and replays and highlights on the broadcast.

If these judges sat on the toilet they could still see that Meksen and Ilunga won...

I don't like robberies, but I am glad that Vakhitov "won" lol. Unsure why Vakhitov looked the way he did, I think it was rust. He is much better than this. Maybe there will be an immediate rematch for both fights.

I'm convinced that a lot of bad judging in all combat sports has to do with where the judges sit.
I doubt it. Judging doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with any other kickboxing promotion. You only seem to be around when its Glory events but I watch many other kickboxing promotions and judging isn't as bad. Occasionally you get a bad decision but not as much as Glory.

Combat Press 2016 Kickboxing Awards: Robbery of the Year – Yi Long vs. Buakaw Banchamek
Combat Press 2017 Kickboxing Awards: Robbery of the Year – Masaaki Noiri vs. Kaew Weerasakreck
Combat Press 2018 Kickboxing Awards: Robbery of the Year – Jady Menezes vs. Anissa Meksen

looks like Vakhitov broke his hand again
:( Get him Petro's last doctors number.

Having a flashback to Ilunga vs. Samedov @ GFC :D

Combat Press 2017 Kickboxing Awards: Robbery of the Year – Masaaki Noiri vs. Kaew Weerasakreck
Didn't see that fight or at least cant remember. Was it worse than Petch vs Roosmalen?

Watched the Meksen vs Menezes fight and it was basically:

Menezes charges forward throwing hands that are mostly partially blocked, Anissa counters with jab and occasionally teep, they end up in the clinch where Meksen lands side knees before a break. This repeated for basically the whole fight and I can see how a promotion like Glory with a stylistic bias towards pressure punchers in its judging could score it for Menezes.

I doubt it. Judging doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with any other kickboxing promotion. You only seem to be around when its Glory events but I watch many other kickboxing promotions and judging isn't as bad. Occasionally you get a bad decision but not as much as Glory.
That's just your anti-Glory bias speaking if you have one and you're taking the opportunity to bad mouth them like it's Glory's fault rather than the athletic commissions who choose the judges. Bad judging happens just as often in MMA and boxing and the issue I described of bad viewing angles applies to all combat sports. It's not an issue specific to Glory or even to kickboxing.

Back