Glory 62 Rotterdam: Heavyweight Tournament

Hardly even a Russian was successful in the UFC.
Lightweight is the deepest weight class in MMA, and it's not even close. The UFC lightweight champion is Russian. Khabib Nurmagumedov 27-0.
I think he was talking about adegbuyi being a contender for a long time but not fighting for the title(for obvious reasons),Comparing to a guy on UFC that is a title contender for the same ammount of time
Hm, i got it now, but he's still wrong..

For the same exact reason (being the #2 guy in the division, but having lost twice to the champion) Joseph Benavidez was "denied" a 3rd titleshot against DJ while riding a 6 fight win streak against top contenders.

I think he was talking about adegbuyi being a contender for a long time but not fighting for the title(for obvious reasons),Comparing to a guy on UFC that is a title contender for the same ammount of time
Lightweight is the deepest weight class in MMA, and it's not even close. The UFC lightweight champion is Russian. Khabib Nurmagumedov 27-0.
Hm, i got it now, but he's still wrong..

Russian Muslim. Moreover it"s Russia"s only champion in MMA. The others were Arlovski of Belarus, Rutten of the Netherlands and McGregor of Ireland. IN THE UFC HISTORY. Europe is not taking MMA seriously. And by the way, women can"t fight, in fighting sports shouldn"t be mentioned. I don"t pay for watching or seeing women fighting.

For the same exact reason (being the #2 guy in the division, but having lost twice to the champion) Joseph Benavidez was "denied" a 3rd titleshot against DJ while riding a 6 fight win streak against top contenders.

I was talking about promotion, not about switching sports. I could have easily said the name of another kickboxing promotion.

Not that he was denied, I am not sure Adegbuyi can ever beat Verhoeven although even Ben Saddik might have different outcome against him. He is the more technical fighter and also has power and probably better speed.

I don"t want to talk about Adegbuyi. It"s just the legacy which was created for Rico. Badr Hari injured his hand, Saki was deducted as points, Ghiță was robbed twice. Then he fought against poorer opposition, sometimes a lot worse than Adegbuyi and not deserveful.

If Rico is the man, make a 8-men tournament with Verhoeven, Ben Saddik, Adegbuyi, Hari, Ghiță, Wilnis, Londt, maybe Kryklia, bring somebody like Overeem, Saki, Spong or all, Raul Cătinaș would also be a super-acquisition even simply because of his knocking power. You can even make Final 16. I would have also said Brestovac if he would be able to bring anything; I don"t believe he can though although he improve a lot. Jamal was very fresh in the final.

The "champion" was in his knees twice against Ben Saddik and at the Ghiță rematch. I would have stripped him for refusing this tournament. But as I mentioned here, the 2 guys who own the matchmaking are Dutch. Even Glory 62 Rotterdam was made for Ben Saddik. Benny was #1 but got Wilnis and not Inocente for "revenge". Wilnis for the N time.

We already saw Guto against Verhoeven, do you think it"s an "accident" that the Dutch matchmaking sent him on Ben Saddik"s path? Guto brought nothing for Verhoeven and Ben Saddik. Don"t forget, Wilnis previously beat Ben Saddik and I think twice!

This is how we feel in my country, since the robberies against Ghiță. They don"t care, they just don"t want to take everything even via injustice.

Hey man @Broadcast , i respect your knowledge of kickboxing, but please it's evident you do not know what you are talking about regarding MMA, Europe is probably where MMA is growing the faster right now, many countries have rising stars and promotions which are establishing themselves and becoming more competitive day by day such as ACA in Russia, KSW in Poland, Oktagon in Slovakia, Cage Warriors in UK, Venator in Italy etc. That "Europe doesn't care for MMA" narrative would be true in 2010 or so, not anymore.
And many Russian federal districts are mostly Muslim so to say that "Russian Muslim" isn't Russian is just uneducated and stupid.

Wait so the tournament was rigged because JBS didn't have to fight a guy he lost to, and Benny didn't get to fight a guy he lost to. What kind of Transylvanian logic is this?

If Rico is the man, make a 8-men tournament with Verhoeven, Ben Saddik, Adegbuyi, Hari, Ghiță, Wilnis, Londt, maybe Kryklia, bring somebody like Overeem, Saki, Spong or all, Raul Cătinaș would also be a super-acquisition even simply because of his knocking power. You can even make Final 16. I would have also said Brestovac if he would be able to bring anything; I don"t believe he can though although he improve a lot. Jamal was very fresh in the final.
Do a gofundme or something in Romania and pay for it, I'm sure Glory would love to do that tournament.

Hey man @Broadcast , i respect your knowledge of kickboxing, but please it's evident you do not know what you are talking about regarding MMA, Europe is probably where MMA is growing the faster right now, many countries have rising stars and promotions which are establishing themselves and becoming more competitive day by day such as ACA in Russia, KSW in Poland, Oktagon in Slovakia, Cage Warriors in UK, Venator in Italy etc. That "Europe doesn't care for MMA" narrative would be true in 2010 or so, not anymore.
And many Russian federal districts are mostly Muslim so to say that "Russian Muslim" isn't Russian is just uneducated and stupid.
They are old promotions anyway. If MMA will grow up, the EU will ban it. Russia and UK care the most, but Russia could have been 5 times better in MMA than today since they have so many fighters in different style. And the British MMA scene is a joke. Boxing taking over there, and I didn"t happen before 2010 but these years.

Compared to MMA, we have loads of promotions. Just that they don"t have the best fighters which were in the Netherlands and Romania for a while (because of their promotions). Now the scene is opened up, since including Romania is divided. You can see amazing production even in Poland, in that DSF. In Germany, we have a pretty similar production, in the production where fights the most famous German heavyweight right now. But it"s not Mix Fight.

And Italy puts some good shows for years, Russia the same. Oktagon in Slovakia? It"s at least comparable to the kickboxing promotions of Czech Republic? I doubt so. I know W5 is Russian but they are hardly hosting shows now in Russia, all are in Central Europe. Just that in Slovakia, they are really minor. Croatia puts shows for years, etc.

You must understand a thing, in kickboxing we (the Europeans) are the best, in MMA not. The level of Cage Warriors was laughable compared to the UFC. While in kickboxing we had one of the best promos in the world. Not huge discrepancy, compared to K-1/Glory. In MMA in Europe it's bigger. Maybe some Russians though are really pillars of the world"s MMA, but notice hardly Europe had a champion in UFC. Most of them were Americans and Brazilians. Then a few Russians. Very rarely a Dutch or a Brit.

Last edited:
They are old promotions anyway. If MMA will grow up, the EU will ban it. Russia and UK care the most, but Russia could have been 5 times better in MMA than today since they have so many fighters in different style. And the British MMA scene is a joke. Boxing taking over there, and I didn"t happen before 2010 but these years.

Compared to MMA, we have loads of promotions. Just that they don"t have the best fighters which were in the Netherlands and Romania for a while (because of their promotions). Now the scene is opened up, since including Romania is divided. You can see amazing production even in Poland, in that DSF. In Germany, we have a pretty similar production, in the production where fights the most famous German heavyweight right now. But it"s not Mix Fight.

And Italy puts some good shows for years, Russia the same. Oktagon in Slovakia? It"s at least comparable to the kickboxing promotions of Czech Republic? I doubt so. I know W5 is Russian but they are hardly hosting shows now in Russia, all are in Central Europe. Just that in Slovakia, they are really minor. Croatia puts shows for years, etc.

You must understand a thing, in kickboxing we (the Europeans) are the best, in MMA not. The level of Cage Warriors was laughable compared to the UFC. While in kickboxing we had one of the best promos in the world. Not huge discrepancy, compared to K-1/Glory. In MMA in Europe it's bigger. Maybe some Russians though are really pillars of the world"s MMA, but notice hardly Europe had a champion in UFC. Most of them were Americans and Brazilians. Then a few Russians. Very rarely a Dutch or a Brit.

MMA is bigger than Kickboxing, even in Europe.

I'd guess there are more muay thai and kickboxing practitioners than mma practitioners. I meet amateur muay thai fighters quite often outside of a gym, never met an mma fighter outside of a gym. But of course mma stars such as McGregor, Khabib, Ronda Rousey etc are more famous than Petrosyan, Robin van Roosmalen etc.

I'd guess there are more muay thai and kickboxing practitioners than mma practitioners. I meet amateur muay thai fighters quite often outside of a gym, never met an mma fighter outside of a gym. But of course mma stars such as McGregor, Khabib, Ronda Rousey etc are more famous than Petrosyan, Robin van Roosmalen etc.

I don't have the numbers but I'd be ready to bet that there are now more MMA gyms than pure MT/KB gyms overall in Europe.

In any case even in Europe MMA draws much more spectators at live event and on PPV's / online streaming than KB+MT, so there are more MMA fans than KB/MT fans.

In any case even in Europe MMA draws much more spectators at live event and on PPV's / online streaming than KB+MT, so there are more MMA fans than KB/MT fans.
Correct me if I'm wrong but most if not all of Europe doesn't follow the PPV formula. I'm not saying what your saying isn't true just not sure of what data you are using to support this conclusion. From my perspective it's the opposite but I don't have any evidence to state that with confidence.

Correct me if I'm wrong but most if not all of Europe doesn't follow the PPV formula. I'm not saying what your saying isn't true just not sure of what data you are using to support this conclusion. From my perspective it's the opposite but I don't have any evidence to state that with confidence.

I used the wrong word. By PPV I meant TV channels, online streaming etc.

Heavily depends on the country.

No russian considers khabib russian, hes a dagestani. its not a muslim thing

and the reason there hasnt been a russian ufc champ is simple

mma is not that popular in russia,the most popular still are boxing, kickboxing, wrestling,judo sambo etc

Correct me if I'm wrong but most if not all of Europe doesn't follow the PPV formula.

In Romania PPV is again popular and back since 2018. We have 2 sports channels PPV on Telekom (one of the channels has NFL) and 10 PPV channels on UPC (2 are sports I think). They are 2nd and respectively 3rd after RDS/RCS (Digi), still a lot of viewers compared to Orange. One of these two operators also had UFC, not sure if it still has it.

Most popular was for years in the UK/Ireland. Only the islands are a little bit aligned to the United States. With real prices.

France experienced a lot, even since the 90s but it didn"t work. Now only Ciné+ is on demand, of the +Group. If I"m not wrong.

Also the Croatian combat sports channel Fight Channel in Croatia was offering PPV services. And I think it still does.

At some moment, Polsat in Poland, Germany, Italy/Albania and Spain also tried the formula.

Last edited:
Honestly it will never work in Europe. Southern and Central-Eastern Europe will never pay more than 5-10 dollars. And not per event. And Scandinavia is not interested in anything else than its sports. Handball, winter sports, whatever, just national team soccer in Denmark and Sweden NOW if I"m not wrong.

Prices in Latin America and China are somewhere between 6 and 8 dollars.

It was also proved in Australia and the UK/Ireland is not really going very well. In Australia because of PPV, the rate of buyers is really small. In the UK/Ireland they prefer to be at stadiums than paying so much for PPV in front of the TV. And the only pub followers are in the islands in Europe.

But 4K is kinda PPV in many countries in Europe. At least in mine, it"s not free.

Back