GLORY Returns to Rotterdam with Eight-Man Heavyweight Tournament

44754591_1914114115336613_6439671455914393600_n.jpg

+ probably Cătălin Moroșanu
* the prize is $150,000

Superkombat for the past 3 years had better judge decision than Glory. Moreover I think you haven"t watched the promotion anymore. Typical Dutch from you, rudness, plus please watch against Ghita vs. Verhoeven both fights. Do that for me! And come back here and tell me who won. But watch it from a neutral angle, not from Rico"s angle.

I watched these two fights several times and Ghita won them both. In fact, he humiliated Rico in the 2nd.
Im not being rude. I did watch both fights and i agree with the judges. But if they gave either fight to Ghita, i wouldnt be mad, as it was so close! and i don't even like Rico. Don't be so overly sensitive man!

This is just my opinion, Onne! People to judge after they watch the videos.

Wilnis and Inocente are part of pool 1. Tafa and Mozny are part of pool 2. The two remaining participants will also be added to pool 2.

Roel Mannaart vs Kirill Kornilov is the tournament reserve bout on the GLORY 62 SFS Series.

Luis Tavares is not in tournament. Moroșanu signed another paper with Glory, and I have the feeling he will be present this year in 2018 because in 2019 he again fights in Dynamite at home.

DqNXJ2_WwAEDAi4.jpg

My limited knowledge has won me more than five figures in dollars on kickboxing wagers in the last few years so somehow I'll find a way to live with myself, lol. I think you're fooling yourself if you think the champion losing in a tournament doesn't devalue the championship belt he holds, especially in a case where he loses to a tournament participant who doesn't even win the one-night tourney itself. That leaves arguably two opponents that ought to be ranked ahead of him until they can meet up afterwards and resolve that. In any case, the potential problems I pointed out are probably the reason why Rico won't be participating, so it's all academic anyway. It's simply less risky to Rico's brand if he just faces the winner. Would be cool if he did enter the tournament, but I'm not holding my breath to see it.
There's no perfect way to handle a tournament belt and champion belt simultaneously, that's why it's better to just choose one format or the other. However, you say Rico losing in the tournament devalues the belt, but the reality is Rico NOT joining the tournament devalues the belt and his status as the "King of Kickboxing". To me I'd hold the tournament winner in higher regard. When we talk about the GOAT of HW Kickboxing, Rico is compared to his peers and rated below his peers that have all won K-1 WGP's. This is historically how the sport of Kickboxing is judged. Now Rico has the opportunity to enhance is legacy by winning a semi-legit 8-man tournament and he's cowering away and its not a good look. I'm sure you don't see it that way because you have blinders on and are a complete Glory shill no matter what they do.

I don't really think it devalues much without Rico there. As said, we know he beats these guys in one-offs. Putting him into a situation where he needs to beat 3 of them, at least to keep his title, would be silly.

That said I think this could be done a bit better. "Eight Elite Heavyweights to Battle for Divisional Supremacy" isn't true without Rico there so just do the Wu Lin Feng Yi Long tournament thing and make it all about a stack of money and the opportunity to challenge the big monster at the end.

Or another way make it into a "Glory Cup" or something, a bigger elite tournament per weight class every year and have it be a separate thing from the title. Get a great trophy, engrave the winners name into it and all that shit. The regular champion could enter or not. If the champ did enter and lost no biggie since it's for a big meaningful trophy too and you could then have them fight over the regular title to settle it anyway.

I think they're halfway there with this :/

Last edited:
stacked main and SFS cards,Glory in NL is the real deal :)

A critic haves to be made, when you made an major event on Rotterdam-Amsterdam, you need fighters that sell a lot of tickets to fill 10k or more of sold tickets.

They have good sells on Ben Saddik + Jaraya + Jahfarr Wilnis + Beztati +Grigorian + Manaart, but isnt enough to fill it up.

If they are Having Jaraya on this one after he got TKO´ed by murthel, they should add Murthel too, he sells well...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need Rico or badr to fill this, i think Rico should be part of the tournament,he is by far the HW more prepared-with better cardio that could fight 3 fights in one night,also a big favorite even in an a lot if times always full of surprises 8 man tournament formacts...

It would be a mid risk for a pretty high reward for everyone since he beat the biggest favorites that we already know that are in the tournament, some of them more than once...

I dont think they are going to put Badr on this tournaments,judging his lack of cardio from the last fights would be a high risk for a very very giantic reward if he won the tournament, would be the biggest setup possible for a Badr Rico rematch.

lets see what happens, there´s still two names to be known on this tournament, i hope they fill it well.

wow look at my black belt :rolleyes::oops:

It has been a pleasure on chatting with you guys these messages for almost 4 years :)

Used to read this forum and K-1 Fans when my english was crappy...hasnt chaged a lot TBF .<DCrying>

wow look at my black belt :rolleyes::oops:

It has been a pleasure on chatting with you guys these messages for almost 4 years :)

Used to read this forum and K-1 Fans when my english was crappy...hasnt chaged a lot TBF .<DCrying>
<DC-Champ>
Congrats on the new belt!

I can see both arguments about Rico in the tournament or not.

The way I see it he has to be in it though. If we even ignore the promotional aspect where obviously a lot more tickets and PPV's will be sold if he participates, it also doesn't make sense to make a tournament without him where the winner gets "a title shot vs the champion" as they would probably get a title shot at some point anyway even if they don't participate because the division isn't that big and Rico is running out of opponents. And if the tournament is not for a title shot or the belt and is just a tournament to see who's the best HW in a tournament setting, then Rico must definitely be in it.

I hope they're saving that announcement for promotional reasons.

Sooooo…. could this 8 man HW tournament actually be for the belt? Rico vacating the belt now that he's going to do movies in Hollywood? Does anybody know the status of his contract? Anyway, I think Rico was smart enough to put in a clause when he renegociated his contract, to be released from his contract in case he was offered a major role in a movie, especially knowing how much he's chasing this pursuit. Will be sad to see him go if this is the case, also a major blow for Glory. The guy did more promotion for the organisation than everyone else combined.

Looks like Rico takes some time off.
From Dutch news website www.nu.nl

Rico Verhoeven gaat vanwege zijn acteercarrière voorlopig minder tijd besteden aan zijn loopbaan als kickbokser. De wereldkampioen zwaargewicht van profbond Glory zette deze week een nieuwe stap naar zijn droom om filmster te worden.

Verhoeven onthulde donderdag dat hij volgend jaar als hoofdrolspeler te zien is in The Black Lotus. Hij is bovendien coproducent van de Engelstalige actiefilm.

"Ik heb het eerder gezegd, maar nu het eindelijk zover is, wil ik sporten en filmen niet meer combineren. Ik ga voorlopig echt voor alleen film", zegt hij vrijdag tegen het AD.

Summary:

He takes his acting career serious. He does not want to combine kickboxing and acting. For now his only focus is acting.

It looks like he is out for a while. The movie doesn't even have a director yet.

Would have been nice if he had entered the tournament as a farewell. But no way in hell Rico is doing 3 fights in one night for 150k. He's become too big for that. Anyway best of luck to him, he cleaned out the division and has nothing left to prove. I really wouldn't be surprised if this tournament is for the belt, the timing is too convinient and it makes sense to me.

Also his last fight in the JC Arena with Glory 59 makes sense now. I thought it was strange to hire a stadium when the RAI and Ahoy are perfect venues to host kickboxing events.

Rico can't even get through a post flight interview without inducing cringing, how the hell is he going to read lines in a movie convincingly?

Well his post fight ring monologues are usually unscripted. :D

Having said that, him calling Badr out at Redemption was pretty good.

Also a remark about what I said earlier, about Rico entering the tournament as a farewell. If this is actually for the vacated belt, then it makes no sense to have Rico enter the tournament of course. I think Rico will be present at Glory 62 and grab the mic one last time to thank the fans. So get ready for some more cringe. :D

(this is all speculation on my behalf of course, maybe I'm all wrong)

Last edited:
Filming a movie doesn't that all that long and doubt even he is betting everything on a full-time movie career at this point at least.

That's what you think. I think Rico is taking it very seriously. Will probably take some additional acting classes, and work on his 'murican accent.

Also, he probably believes he has nothing left to prove in kickboxing, and rightfully so. He's just going in circles at this point. In addition, he doesn't have to fight for money anymore. So there is no incentive to keep fighting. It's either MMA, acting, or lean back and admire your work for him.

Having said that, it's sad to see him go.

Last edited:
You can take acting seriously and still the movie could flop.

I'm sure he is serious about it but it's not exactly fully in his hands how it goes. If he is good in the movie/it makes a ton of money sure maybe he would really pursue it further. It could also be awful, he could be bad in it and it could lose money, in which case continuing to make good money in kickboxing probably wouldn't seem like such a bad idea.

You can take acting seriously and still the movie could flop.

I'm sure he is serious about it but it's not exactly fully in his hands how it goes. If he is good in the movie/it makes a ton of money sure maybe he would really pursue it further. It could also be awful, he could be bad in it and it could lose money, in which case continuing to make good money in kickboxing probably wouldn't seem like such a bad idea.
Not only is he the lead, he's also co-producer. I'm not putting any stock into this being a successful venture. Rico will be back in Kickboxing within a year.

Back