Glove advice

theranch

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Looking to invest in a pair of gloves that will protect my hands first and foremost. I end up training or hitting a bag 5-6 days a week for hour and a half minimum so it needs to be something that wont wear out.
I have had Sandee Venum Reebok and Fairtex (Fairtex and Sandee were good but i could do with some more wrist support) and looking to step up a level. My budget stretches to pretty much anything that isn't Winning so what gloves would people reccomend for pad work and bag work for maximum protection and comfort?

Are these gloves going to be strictly for bag and mitt/pad work or will you be using them for sparring as well?

For Muay Thai: I think Twins are more comfortable but Top King offers more protection (hand compartment is a bit small tho).

I don't have much experience in pure Boxing gloves, except for Everlast.

for the amount of time you are looking at hitting the bag per week, if you could save a bit more, i'd recommend getting a pair of winnings. super comfortable, lots of padding for your knuckles. i was able to get a pair of brand new in box 12oz lace-up winnings for a really good price on ebay from a japanese seller. (private message me if you want the seller id)

otherwise, i'd go with a pair of twins. obviously, it doesn't have as much padding as the winnings but it does the job. one thing about twins though, if you jam your thumb at any point when hitting, you definitely feel it. wrist support is decent.

top kings i have only had 14oz and up and use mainly for sparring so i can't comment on how they are as pad gloves. actually i lied. i used my girlfriends 14oz top kings last night for 2 rounds of pad work (before switching back to my 12oz twins) and it had a double wrist strap so you are locked in. they felt pretty good and felt like there was a lot of wiggle room for the thumb (not as snug as twins, maybe that's why you feel it more if it jams).

for the amount of time you are looking at hitting the bag per week, if you could save a bit more, i'd recommend getting a pair of winnings. super comfortable, lots of padding for your knuckles. i was able to get a pair of brand new in box 12oz lace-up winnings for a really good price on ebay from a japanese seller. (private message me if you want the seller id)

otherwise, i'd go with a pair of twins. obviously, it doesn't have as much padding as the winnings but it does the job. one thing about twins though, if you jam your thumb at any point when hitting, you definitely feel it. wrist support is decent.

top kings i have only had 14oz and up and use mainly for sparring so i can't comment on how they are as pad gloves. actually i lied. i used my girlfriends 14oz top kings last night for 2 rounds of pad work (before switching back to my 12oz twins) and it had a double wrist strap so you are locked in. they felt pretty good and felt like there was a lot of wiggle room for the thumb (not as snug as twins, maybe that's why you feel it more if it jams).

I agree with you on the Winnings but after ruining 2 seperate pairs of twins from the bag and pads, they don't get my approval for bag work. Padding breaks down quicker than I'd like. Used to be able to get them for $50 back in the day but it seems like you gotta spend a lot more than that today ($80-$100) range for a pair which is ridiculous IMO. Great sparring glove though.

I agree with you on the Winnings but after ruining 2 seperate pairs of twins from the bag and pads, they don't get my approval for bag work. Padding breaks down quicker than I'd like. Used to be able to get them for $50 back in the day but it seems like you gotta spend a lot more than that today ($80-$100) range for a pair which is ridiculous IMO. Great sparring glove though.

yeah, i forgot to mention that i baby my winnings and only use them for mitts. i use my twins for thai pads and bagwork because those activities are more abusive to the gloves.

i got my last pair of twins in march, 2016 and i just replaced them 2 weeks ago (october 2017) with another pair mainly because the leather at the tip on one of them was wearing out (i think it's from me grabbing the top of the bag where the chains are at some point while doing knees) and i also kind of stunk them up because a few times i didn't wear wraps haha. they are still usable as i donated them to the gym for beginners who don't have any gear or for people trying the classes out for the first time. so essentially i used them for a year and a half, and i feel like they still got a few more months left in them.

Last edited:
yeah, i forgot to mention that i baby my winnings and only use them for mitts. i use my twins for thai pads and bagwork because those activities are more abusive to the gloves.

i got my last pair of twins in march, 2016 and i just replaced them 2 weeks ago (october 2017) with another pair mainly because the leather at the tip on one of them was wearing out (i think it's from me grabbing the top of the bag where the chains are at some point while doing knees) and i also kind of stunk them up because a few times i didn't wear wraps haha. they are still usable as i donated them to the gym for beginners who don't have any gear or for people trying the classes out for the first time. so essentially i used them for a year and a half, and i feel like they still got a few more months left in them.

Ah good to know, maybe they're better these days, mine were made in 08 & 09.

I vote for the UMA ultra with the "old padding" (aka standard padding). The paddings are really durable, very protective, great for both pads and bags with good pop.

Rival has some great bag gloves - some of them have a special velcro design that crosses itself and gives you much better wrist protection than normal velcro. Of course, lace up gloves are the best for support - but if you're going to tie them tightly, you need someone to help.

Are these gloves going to be strictly for bag and mitt/pad work or will you be using them for sparring as well?
Bag and mitt work. My Fairtex have enough life in them for sparring but hitting mitts with 16oz is a little eh

Im so so tempted by a set of winnings because I've had some pretty nasty hand injuries and i still want to be able to hit pads in 10 years time but they're just so damn expensive.

Rival has some great bag gloves - some of them have a special velcro design that crosses itself and gives you much better wrist protection than normal velcro. Of course, lace up gloves are the best for support - but if you're going to tie them tightly, you need someone to help.
Ive heard some good things about rival so they may well be worth checking out

Ive heard some good things about rival so they may well be worth checking out

my instructor lists his 10oz winnings as his favourites but for bag work, he has two pairs of rivals that he alternates.

I second the rivals for your budget, but definitely consider saving a bit longer for the winnings if possible. Still the best glove I've used til this day.

Definitely recommend Winning and Rival.

If you can't afford Winning for bagwork, here's a recipe for the best of both worlds:

1. Rival Evolution RB11 bag gloves, L or XL (makes step #2 more manageable off the get go).

$110 on titleboxing.com but you can get a 20% discount for signing up a new account.

2. Winning NG2 gel knuckle guards. Like $23 on Amazon.

3. 180" mexican handwraps. I prefer 200" though.

This way, you have a high quality bag glove (that snaps quite loud upon impact!) coupled with extra protection (and probably extends the durability of the gloves' padding due to the NG2s shielding your knuckles from making direct contact with the gloves).

If you want to go cheaper, then there's the Rival RB1 Ultras at $80 also on titleboxing.com. Just be warned that the thumb compartment is a bit short.

Also UMA's RT41 model. Plenty of padding in those. Boxingcustom.com. $90 pre shipping. Shipping costs like $30 to U.S. I think.

Last edited:
Definitely recommend Winning and Rival.

If you can't afford Winning for bagwork, here's a recipe for the best of both worlds:

1. Rival Evolution RB11 bag gloves, L or XL (makes step #2 more manageable off the get go).

$110 on titleboxing.com but you can get a 20% discount for signing up a new account.

2. Winning NG2 gel knuckle guards. Like $23 on Amazon.

3. 180" mexican handwraps. I prefer 200" though.

This way, you have a high quality bag glove (that snaps quite loud upon impact!) coupled with extra protection (and probably extends the durability of the gloves' padding due to the NG2s shielding your knuckles from making direct contact with the gloves).

If you want to go cheaper, then there's the Rival RB1 Ultras at $80 also on titleboxing.com. Just be warned that the thumb compartment is a bit short.

Also UMA's RT41 model. Plenty of padding in those. Boxingcustom.com. $90 pre shipping. Shipping costs like $30 to U.S. I think.
I think this is probably tge route i will take if Winnings are completely out of reach next month

uma rt-41 check my review on it , or sabas and rival would be your best options

Someone else mentioned in a thread somewhere that multi-layered gloves should be avoided on the bag. And I think that's right. They're good for sparring, but not for the bag. And if you're concerned about hand protection, they will not be good for you in the long run.

On the bag, I'd recommend something with a denser foam. I haven't used Rival bag gloves, but if they fit that description, then I'd opt for that.

At least that's my two cents.

Someone else mentioned in a thread somewhere that multi-layered gloves should be avoided on the bag. And I think that's right. They're good for sparring, but not for the bag. And if you're concerned about hand protection, they will not be good for you in the long run.

On the bag, I'd recommend something with a denser foam. I haven't used Rival bag gloves, but if they fit that description, then I'd opt for that.

At least that's my two cents.
Are Winnings multilayered then? Im starting to consider some custom made stuff as i could actually get it cheaper than Winnings abd on a par with Rivals

Are Winnings multilayered then? Im starting to consider some custom made stuff as i could actually get it cheaper than Winnings abd on a par with Rivals

S9tJI7.jpg

my gf also recently bought a pair of gloves from sabas and they are designed like cleto reyes. $120USD plus shipping.

Back