Glutes for the Slutes Squat/overhead press Competition

EIther post a study that says you NEED to do foam rolling and stretching before you squat to be able to squat or just stop typing and go about your day like nothing happened.

EIther post a study that says you NEED to do foam rolling and stretching before you squat to be able to squat or just stop typing and go about your day like nothing happened.
Post a study that says stretching doesn’t improve mobility or just go about your day like nothing happened

I have some Lift for Kids swag left over. I can offer a T-Shirt (Size <= XL) as a prize.

I'm pretty sure its widely accepted that a combination of mobility work and light sets at full ROM is a good, if not great way to stay mobile and capable.

Some people will blow their load repping out light weight as their means to stay mobile, and others will effectively injure themselves doing stretches and foam rolling their shit too much, or incorrectly.

Fucking moderation, again!

From the first article
The current literature measuring the effects of SMR is still emerging. The results of this analysis suggests that foam rolling and roller massage may be effective interventions for enhancing joint ROM and pre and post exercise muscle performance. However, due to the heterogeneity of methods among studies, there currently is no consensus on the optimal SMR program.

First day of Smolov in the books. 3x8 with 352.5#, 1x5 with 380#, 2x2 with 407.5 and 1x1 with 435#. Sets of 8 felt like cardio. Gonna post vids later to see if my depth is improving. One thing I’m noticing is excessive knee travel forward. The more forward the knees go, the further the hips have to drop to go below the top of the knee.

From the first article
The current literature measuring the effects of SMR is still emerging. The results of this analysis suggests that foam rolling and roller massage may be effective interventions for enhancing joint ROM and pre and post exercise muscle performance. However, due to the heterogeneity of methods among studies, there currently is no consensus on the optimal SMR program.
He cherry picked studies to try and prove his point, the same thing is done by anyone for anything. Vegans do it all the time. Sure he can hit depth without stretching but who is to say his form couldn’t be improved with some sort of mobility. It’s like saying you can bench without warming up your shoulders or lats. Anyone can, but doing so wil probably improve performance.

Starting to remember that everyone lit this dude up for thinking 485x5 deadlift meant he had a 600lbs max. I’m done with the topic.

And I remember guy just recently that claimed he had a 565 squat only that it was a mile high on video

I'm done with this topic

First day of Smolov in the books. 3x8 with 352.5#, 1x5 with 380#, 2x2 with 407.5 and 1x1 with 435#. Sets of 8 felt like cardio. Gonna post vids later to see if my depth is improving. One thing I’m noticing is excessive knee travel forward. The more forward the knees go, the further the hips have to drop to go below the top of the knee.
Fuckin Smolov, bruh?
That's brutal!

I will say this, though. I have never done a minute of mobility work since starting to train and although my numbers are not great, they are not a reflection of my lack of mobility (which is unquestionably OK for my age) but of my inability to remain consistent with training and diet and really not training hard enough.

I don't think that increasing my mobility time will positively effect my training as much as simply increasing the level of effort I put into my training.

I will say this, though. I have never done a minute of mobility work since starting to train and although my numbers are not great, they are not a reflection of my lack of mobility (which is unquestionably OK for my age) but of my inability to remain consistent with training and diet and really not training hard enough.

I don't think that increasing my mobility time will positively effect my training as much as simply increasing the level of effort I put into my training.
I used to do mobility work because I was doing a lot of weightlifting and hitting the hole on cleans and snatches required supplemental mobility work. I got a desk job and stopped doing mobility work and now my hips are tight as fuck.

I used to do mobility work because I was doing a lot of weightlifting and hitting the hole on cleans and snatches required supplemental mobility work. I got a desk job and stopped doing mobility work and now my hips are tight as fuck.

I'm on my feet most of the day, except for my 1 hour commute. My mobility just has never really been an issue. I mean, don't get me wrong, I could definitely improve, but its not what's keeping me from getting stronger.

The need for and amount of mobility work is highly individual and based genetical and habitual factors. Some people need more, some less, some people need this type, others need that. I will say that active mobility seems to be the most sustainable long term, but passive mobility has its uses short term as well.

Smolov day two, exact same as day one. Although I find myself already not wanting to be squatting lol. This is gonna suck dick. I’m going to stay the course though. I’m bored with Wendlers and with this much squatting I can’t help but see a positive body composition change.

Back