Glutes for the Slutes Squat/overhead press Competition

I've just haven't seen a big improvement in a long time. I seem to always get to a good space, then something happens...

I know that feel man. I hope for your sake, nothing interferes this time. Stretch lots, don’t push the body when it’s yelling at you, etc. For personal life, there’s not a whole lot to prevent that stuff from happening.

This is a press and squat competition....when am I supposed to do upper body work?

"The overhead press was the most popular exercise in all of weight training because it was the lift that served as a gauge of upper body strength. Or more accurately, a person’s overall strength. Whenever someone wanted to know how strong you were, he asked, “How much can you press?” However, several events occurred in the early seventies that changed how people trained their upper bodies and ended up relegating the overhead press from a “must-do” exercise to one that was only done occasionally and with relatively light poundages."

bill starr in: https://startingstrength.com/article/the_quest_for_a_stronger_overhead_press

"The overhead press was the most popular exercise in all of weight training because it was the lift that served as a gauge of upper body strength. Or more accurately, a person’s overall strength. Whenever someone wanted to know how strong you were, he asked, “How much can you press?” However, several events occurred in the early seventies that changed how people trained their upper bodies and ended up relegating the overhead press from a “must-do” exercise to one that was only done occasionally and with relatively light poundages."

bill starr in: https://startingstrength.com/article/the_quest_for_a_stronger_overhead_press

Bill Starr is the fucking man.

I understand the press is an upper body exercise lol I’m saying where do I fit them in with all the squats lol

I think you could do other exercises in conjunction with Smolov (except deadlifts, of course), but I would keep the intensity at a low-moderate level.

I vaguely remember ... Jokerr??? here ran Smolov for squat, deadlift, and bench press concurrently.

I vaguely remember ... Jokerr??? here ran Smolov for squat, deadlift, and bench press concurrently.

Either that dude was juiced to the gills, had a suicide wish, or was stupid as hell. Or possibly all of the above.

Either that dude was juiced to the gills, had a suicide wish, or was stupid as hell. Or possibly all of the above.

I got it mixed up. It was Jester and he did smolov for squat, bench, and pullups. I was thinking/getting it confused when Max Aita ran it for squat and deadlift for a cycle.

I got it mixed up. It was Jester and he did smolov for squat, bench, and pullups. I was thinking/getting it confused when Max Aita ran it for squat and deadlift for a cycle.

Ok, that sounds a little more manageable. I don't think Max Aita is known for doing Smolov (I could be wrong, though) - he's a Bulgarian Method guy like me.

Well, guys. My knees are fucked right now, so I'm putting the Russian Squat Routine on hold. I'm going to run a cycle of Smolov Jr for the press for the time being.

Smolov week 2. Set of 5 with 435, 8x3 to a 12 inch box box squats with 275, and a few power snatches as dynamic effort.

Smolov week 2. Set of 5 with 435, 8x3 to a 12 inch box box squats with 275, and a few power snatches as dynamic effort.

Hmm... Interesting. What's the reason for mixing the conjugate method with your Smolov cycle?

Hmm... Interesting. What's the reason for mixing the conjugate method with your Smolov cycle?
I’m still on the intro phase, this week is only 1 set of 5 on squats, Monday Wednesday Friday. the rest calls for “jumps and dynamic effort work” according to the spreadsheet I found. Next week is when it gets tasty.

I’m still on the intro phase, this week is only 1 set of 5 on squats, Monday Wednesday Friday. the rest calls for “jumps and dynamic effort work” according to the spreadsheet I found. Next week is when it gets tasty.

Ah, I see. When I did Smolov, I forwent the intro cycle and went straight into the base cycle since I felt that my body was already accustomed to squatting heavy loads. In the end, I didn't complete the cycle due to severe tendonitis in the knees so...fuck Smolov for squats

Ah, I see. When I did Smolov, I forwent the intro cycle and went straight into the base cycle since I felt that my body was already accustomed to squatting heavy loads. In the end, I didn't complete the cycle due to severe tendonitis in the knees so...fuck Smolov for squats
I’m being very skimpy on the warm up sets to avoid overuse. Today I loaded 225 up before even touching the barbell. I don’t believe in that empty bar shit. Did 5 reps, 315 for a triple, 405 for a single, and then did the 435x5.

I’m being very skimpy on the warm up sets to avoid overuse. Today I loaded 225 up before even touching the barbell. I don’t believe in that empty bar shit. Did 5 reps, 315 for a triple, 405 for a single, and then did the 435x5.

My warmup's a bit different, but it's also short to avoid tiring myself out before hitting my daily max for the day. Basically, I start with the 20 kg bar for 2 reps and ramp up in increments of 20 kg - 30 kg for sets of doubles until I reach my 60%, from which I do singles until I hit my daily max. After I get my daily max, I take off 10-20 kgs off the bar and do back off sets for singles, doubles, or triples. Rarely do I do sets over 3 reps.

My warmup's a bit different, but it's also short to avoid tiring myself out before hitting my daily max for the day. Basically, I start with the 20 kg bar for 2 reps and ramp up in increments of 20 kg - 30 kg for sets of doubles until I reach my 60%, from which I do singles until I hit my daily max. After I get my daily max, I take off 10-20 kgs off the bar and do back off sets for singles, doubles, or triples. Rarely do I do sets over 3 reps.

you do the back off sets for recovery or just overall volume?

you do the back off sets for recovery or just overall volume?

I do them for volume.

Also, I forgot to add in the previous post that what I described is the protocol for the Bulgarian Method.

I do them for volume.

Also, I forgot to add in the previous post that what I described is the protocol for the Bulgarian Method.
I’ll show you a bulge area

I usually do leg press after squat to get some blood in

Took the first day of Smolov jr for the press lightly and now I tweaked something in my middle back :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back