GOAT Console

What is the GOAT Console

• Total voters
I voted N64 purely because even after a nuclear war it would most likely still be in working condition.

maybe, but the controllers wore out faster than any others that i've ever seen/heard of.

the sticks were garbage.

IMO its a three way tie between SNES, PS1 and PS2.
Just look at all the classic games and huge library those consoles have. Heavy hitters all around.

New game consoles > old game console. Being a kid playing games > being an adult playing games.

I voted N64 purely because even after a nuclear war it would most likely still be in working condition.

The hoardes of working Atari’s still out there laugh at the build quality of the n64

New game consoles > old game console. Being a kid playing games > being an adult playing games.

But firing up classics like streets of rage 2 , altered beast , and doom still provide hours of fun.

My wife and kid love playing super Mario and donkey Kong country but I just can’t play them and get the same enjoyment out of streets of rage

I think kid me would have had trouble processing the joy overload offered by games like Hotline Miami

PS2

GTA III
Vice City
San Andreas
God of War 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Okami
Devil May Cry
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
Beyond Good and Evil
Dragon Quest VIII
Prince of Persia
Kingdom Hearts
Soul Calibur
Socom

You've got the best open world games, the greatest platformers and just a boatload of great games.

You should only list exclusives. Listing multiplats is deceptive.

Oh you MFers I'm the only guy voting for the Xbox? Really?

That was my teen years.

Reasons, it was just so good. Halo 1, 2 and Fable...come on. The often poorly reviewed Brute Force was top class.
Love the controller, the HDD, the look and played Tony Hawk Underground 2 for about 5 hours a day for like 9 months on that thing.

PS2

Love the Snes, love the Megadrive, love the PS1, love the N64 but nothing has ever or will ever match the sheer amount of quality games the PS2 got.

It was that perfect time where games weren't too expensive to make, Capcom/Konami etc. were at their best, shitty anti-consumer practices like microtransactions and on disk DLC were non-existent, instead of SJW bullshit we got evangelical Christian bullshit that we all laughed at together, companies weren't over inflated and were more than willing to take risks. To this day I'm still coming across PS2 hidden gems.

That generation of gaming is what the 70's was to movies and Sony was king.

Oh you MFers I'm the only guy voting for the Xbox? Really?

That was my teen years.

Reasons, it was just so good. Halo 1, 2 and Fable...come on. The often poorly reviewed Brute Force was top class.
Love the controller, the HDD, the look and played Tony Hawk Underground 2 for about 5 hours a day for like 9 months on that thing.
Custom soundtracks for GTA was dope. Xbox usually had the best console multiplatform games

Custom soundtracks for GTA was dope. Xbox usually had the best console multiplatform games
Oh I forgot about that custom music in GTA and you could have custom music in RAW too.

Hm. For sheer enjoyment and nostalgia I probably have to go Snes. Some of my favorite games ever:

Final Fantasy 2 & 3
Chrono Trigger
Ogre Battle
Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Street Fighter 2
Zelda 3
Populous
Sim City & Sim Ant
Final Fight

I remember back in the day Ogre Battle was so rare that you had to pretty much meet black market dealers in an ally to smuggle a copy into the US. At one point the game was worth hundreds of dollars. I think they only made like 20,000 copies worldwide

PS2

followed closely with SNES, Gamecube and NES. The order changes on my mood honestly...

Oh I forgot about that custom music in GTA and you could have custom music in RAW too.
a lot of games featured it, pretty much all of the sports and racing games which made them automatically better on Xbox. I was bummed that the feature didn't really carry over to the 360 and One. I know you can still rip your music on the hard drive but afaik there are no in game options or features in any game to actually replace in game music with your own ripped files. Playing Vice City and San Andreas with brand new era appropriate music was so much fun

tough call between snes because of game library and N64 because of fun memories. Voted snes

Back