PlayStation GOD OF WAR [2016, PS4]

I've been one-shot by quite a few normal enemies at this point. It can be maddening, especially considering how many hits it takes me to kill all the but the smallest enemies. For the trolls (at least the two I've fought so far), you can do melee combos if you stand behind their legs. But you have to dodge that club/pillar thing they use. Double-tap x on the opening melee swing (dodge to the left not the right), hit once with your axe, double tap to avoid the second hit, and then you should be able to land a full combo.

You have to roll dodge and not just evade (I got hit every time that I tried to simply evade).

I'm progressing just barely fast enough that I haven't given up and restarted on the next difficulty down, but some of the regular encounters are seriously taking me 45 minutes or so to get through. The only thing that keeps me going is that I eventually do find a strategy that works most of the time.
Yeah, i had those 45min/15 deaths in a row encounters, specially when i was cheap about upgrading. I found that upgrading Athreus is really worthy.

Games look amazing...will wait for it to be 30-40$ in 5-6 months. I'm a cheap bastard haha

I've never been able to get into the GoW, they've always felt to hack and slash. This one is looking really good and might have to pick it up.

I played for 1 hour and really regret buying this game. This is just an interactive movie. I should've researched this game before making this mistake.

Are you guys using the default control layout with the attack buttons being the R1 and 2 buttons?
I feel like I have to use the axe throw to try and keep enemies from either regenerating health or choking out Atreus, and since that means I'm aiming it's just more comfortable for me to use the shoulder buttons.

I played for 1 hour and really regret buying this game. This is just an interactive movie. I should've researched this game before making this mistake.
Can you turn off the cinematics? Some games give you that option, which is nice. I'm not really a fan of randomly losing control of my character during a fight.

So do you have to keep the kid alive, or is he just like a little helper dude?

So do you have to keep the kid alive, or is he just like a little helper dude?

You don't have to manage him at all. Some mechanics take him out of fight for a time or permanently but generally he's like a versatile indestructible turret.

Last edited:
Can you turn off the cinematics? Some games give you that option, which is nice. I'm not really a fan of randomly losing control of my character during a fight.

Most of the game is not like this. The best way I can describe it is the game has a very long intro. There are actually no cinematics either so his description is inaccurate. One of their lead devs said they felt like it breaks immersion so the game never really cuts away there are just storytelling portions of the early game.

I can say I had a bit of a struggle with how much story there was at first but at a certain point you are set free with lots of side quest options.

Finding my groove with the combat system. When you’re truly taking advantage of all you can do the flow you can get in is incredible.

Finding it really hard to put down.

Amazing how much it still feels like God of War with how much they’ve changed.

Finding my groove with the combat system. When you’re truly taking advantage of all you can do the flow you can get in is incredible.

Finding it really hard to put down.

Amazing how much it still feels like God of War with how much they’ve changed.

That seems good to hear. I never played the original GoW series but it seems like the combat is crazy frenetic if you are doing it right as the game progresses. With the kid and runes, stun mechanics, etc. there is so much going on in a good combat to take advantage of.

Kratos is such a dick to this kid lol

Not a bad game. Wouldn't call it epic but then again I just got past the part where you walk into the light.

Picked up the game. Probably going to wait til after the fights to start it up.

For those to yet start the game and would like a refresher for the storyline over the last 6 games (yes, six games: 1-3, Ascention, and the 2 PSP games).

This 15 minute summary is worth watching.

well I have to say, this game is fucking awesome

For those to yet start the game and would like a refresher for the storyline over the last 6 games (yes, six games: 1-3, Ascention, and the 2 PSP games).

This 15 minute summary is worth watching.

Sweet, thanks.. I wanted a refresher before playing. It's been awhile.

Waiting until Monday sucks ass. I'll watch this in the meantime.

Last edited:
If there's a big twist at the end I have a feeling I know what it is...Curious to see if I'm right now.

My first GOW game and fucking loving it

Back