Goes to show how great Aldo was in his prime

Aldo made max look slow and predictable in the first two rds of BOTH of their fights but unfortunately for Aldo he can’t stay sharp for 5 rds anymore and once he gassed his defensive skills disappear.

But man Aldo was lighting max up nicely in those two fights.
Aldo is more accomplished, but Holloway is a better fighter.

Yeah, there wasn’t a point in Aldo’s career where he could go a hard five like that. He gassed when dominating some fights. He’s always needed to take breaks.

The Hominick fight was a prime example.

The fights that come to mind right off the bat for him being controlled and essentially good for 5 rounds at a solid, constant pace are: Mendes 2, KZ and Edgar 2 (his most complete performance IMO). I didn't include Faber because he was so far and ahead of that fight after 1.5 rounds that he could've done anything. Not his fault for being dominant.

Actually it shows how damn tough Ortega is compared to Aldo.

Max beat Jose like a rented Mule untill he looked for a way out and panic wrestled.

Max beat Brian like a rented me but could not break his spirit. It took a doctor to stop it.

Aldo made max look slow and predictable in the first two rds of BOTH of their fights but unfortunately for Aldo he can’t stay sharp for 5 rds anymore and once he gassed his defensive skills disappear.

Absolute nonsense the way you've framed this.

Aldo had to go 100% output to get any respect at all from Max, just to keep him off.

Its not possible for him (or any fighter) to maintain 100% output with heavy power shots in a 5 round fight. Max drowned him and he broke him down technically and made it look easy.

Aldo is past him prime, but their two fights looked like a mismatch and ended as horrific beatings both times.

Aldo did start off well but Holloway's cardio and pressure was too much for him

IMO Holloway overtook Aldo as the greatest FW last night
man

aldo´s reign lasted for years

That doesn't negate Aldo's greatness. Does the fact Ortega lasted longer than Aldo in both fights mean Ortega > Aldo now too?

Or could it be that styles make fights and Max is just Aldo's kryptonite?

Why is Aldo’s so called greatness being highlighted on the back of the Max destroying Ortega? Makes no sense since Max also destroyed Aldo, twice

2F54C06600000578-3357981-image-a-44_1449988363825.jpg

Disagree.

Aldo beat Max in the first 2 rounds of their first fight but he loss every round after that
They fought for under 6 rounds and Aldo won 4 of them. The only round that's even debatable is the second round of the rematch but the first round was a clear win for Aldo and I would say most gave him the second as well.

If Max didn't have a god like chin and unwavering cardio Aldo would still be the FW champion to this day because Max wouldn't have made it out of the first round of the first fight and I'm saying this as someone who has been a fan of Max from his first fight in the UFC.

Aldo did start off well but Holloway's cardio and pressure was too much for him

IMO Holloway overtook Aldo as the greatest FW last night

I remember my first beer.

I feel like Aldo's cardio is really the issue. If both of them started fresh after each round, Aldo would have won.
Max must have insane pace because when Aldo fights at his own speed he's been able to decision pretty much anyone he hasn't finished.

Or maybe Max is skilled enough that he forces Aldo to fight at a higher pace than his gas tank can support...

Max must have insane pace because when Aldo fights at his own speed he's been able to decision pretty much anyone he hasn't finished.

Or maybe Max is skilled enough that he forces Aldo to fight at a higher pace than his gas tank can support...

its his chin. Agility as well.

in past fights when opponents feel Aldo's power they back up which allows Aldo to dictate the pace. Holloway stays in his face so Aldo constantly has to throw hard shots. Holloways pretty good at sliding out of the way to so when Aldo misses with those bombs its going to take a lot of energy away, plus getting countered doesn't help.

Aldo is more accomplished, but Holloway is a better fighter.
No

Aldo is also the better fighter too just doesn’t have the gas tank and freshness anymore, keep in mind Aldo turned pro at 17 yrs old.

ortega landed much more damage on max than aldo did, and he was ready to go back out into the fifth.

ortega would smash aldo in a fight.

Man, Aldo defended his title over and over against the best fighters in the division at the time, rematched the close fights and reigned for a long time. Not sure how Max has surpassed his legacy already with one title defense. I'm not saying that Max isn't a BETTER fighter either, but 'greatness' is about legacy.

I agree punch for punch Aldo does enough damage early to deter Holloway. Plus we are talking about largely post-war Aldo.

Aldo looked as good as ever in the first 2 rounds, but is his cardio that much worse at 30 than 26? I think this version of Max beats the best version of Aldo because of the cardio. Aldo likes to fight at his own pace and Max wouldn’t allow that.

The goat debate can be made for Aldo because of his longevity atop the division. But then you can argue that Max bested him twice, convincingly, and possibly could’ve done that at any other time before.

Back