Going To Prison Over Debt.

Should failure to pay a private debt be an imprisonable offense?

• Yes

• No

• Depends on how poor they are

Results are only viewable after voting.
LOL, didn't E-Bank alter this gif to include oranges being juggled?

1317386000_baby_on_back_seat_really_likes_music.gif

Nah.

Investments are different than children

Debt is not necessarily an investment.

When a company buys a product or procures a service and does not pay for it, that should be no different in the eyes of the law than when a person buys a product or procures a service and does not pay for it.

In a sense, it is kinda sorta similar to robbery, fraud, embezzlement.

No one cares though because they are weakest and most think they probably deserve it even though many are innocent and just poor.

In your estimation, what % are innocent. To be clear, define "many" numerically.

Labor camps and community service are better options.

Jail is the adult version of "go stand in the corner".

Voted 'yes' but actually didn't want to.

Here's how I look at it. Private lenders charge interest and factor in risk. They take the chance of not getting paid back in order to earn a profit. If that chance doesn't pay off then it's simply a failed business venture. Too bad so sad.

Simple really.

I wouldn't be keen to fund the expenses of their defaulters.

Fraud is one thing but non payment pfft they knew the risk.

Republicans are doing their best effort so only rich people like trump can declare bankruptcy. In my day you could on Student loans which billionaires don't have. No more. GWB changed that. There are dozens of other examples.
Do you believe a kid/person should be able to get a student loan and as soon as they get their degree declare bankruptcy?

It would amount to theft via deception creditors should be able to put a lien on a % of future earnings until the debt is paid.

Yeah, it's a hard topic to delineate.

I personally think that it should be outlawed with categorical exceptions: for instance, to compensate for non-financial injury. I think debts to non-human entities should be precluded from carrying jail time. Debts to individuals should be treated less leniently.

to bad so many rich and greedy will always lobby to make sure that they can win and screw peopel

if that was applied across the board, ol donnie would never see the light of day again
1p28ga.jpg

It depends on how narrowly or broadly you are defining it.

Should you be imprisoned because you cannot afford to pay an electricity or cable bill? No, that's a debtor prison.

Should you be jailed because you refuse to make payments on a civil judgment, despite being able to? Yes, that's contempt of court.

Of course, it's a less clear line between those two instances in reality.

If you have the ability to pay it back, they can legally seize that. So if you can legally seize assets for a civil judgement, then what need is there to arrest someone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back