Going to the Philippines in a week.

Sanitary conditions and cleanliness are not an indication of better food.

No offence but you sound pretty uptight to travel in a developing country.

To TS: Relax your standards a little, ur in southeast Asia man.. Loosen up. Your bowels will loosen up too but overall you will have a better time.
;)

Edit: don't try pagpag tho

Dafuq? I like my food without salmonella thanks

My uncle's gf is Filipina and made a bunch of food for my grandfather's 90th birthday.

Hardly any of it was touched. I put some on my plate and took two bites but that's all I could stomach. I felt bad for her because she is marrying into our family and she was proud to show us some of her culture's cuisine.

That is the extent of my experience with Filipino food. Between that and knowing about Balut I'd say I'm not inclined to ever have any again and I'm not a picky eater.

This story made me LOL. Sounds a lot like my wife. The food is simply hit or miss, and when you have someone caring about what they're doing, it's more hit. My wife is Filipino and I'm 1/4 Filipino myself, so the Philippines is well represented in my family. Whenever she cooks the pancit, nobody touches it. When I do, it's a hit. On the flip side (no pun intended) her Filipino spaghetti was a hit, but I had to insist on her dialing down the sweetness a little.

The problem with the food is that there are too many cheap tricks: add more sugar, add more Knorr bullion, etc. and they are certainly not humble when it comes to their way of cooking. When you get more meticulous about the details, it can be as sophisticated as any.

The only times I got sick in the phillipines was from drinking way the fuck too much.
how is the drinking culture over there? does it compare to rural china? do they have an equivalent to 白酒? how are the beers?

My uncle's gf is Filipina and made a bunch of food for my grandfather's 90th birthday.

Hardly any of it was touched. I put some on my plate and took two bites but that's all I could stomach. I felt bad for her because she is marrying into our family and she was proud to show us some of her culture's cuisine.

That is the extent of my experience with Filipino food. Between that and knowing about Balut I'd say I'm not inclined to ever have any again and I'm not a picky eater.
picky is very relative
most westerners i know don't like fish(i am a westerner) like the entire group of food and won't touch it.
so are you non picky relative to fellow canadians or are you non picky compared to most north americans etc.. keep closing the circles.

If a very hot looking chick is looking and smiling at you, be extra careful. It it looks too good to be true, it probably is...

As for food, despite being very careful I spent a terrible terrible night throwing up and with diarrhea...

Have fun though!

how is the drinking culture over there? does it compare to rural china? do they have an equivalent to 白酒? how are the beers?

The beers aren’t great. San Miguel lite and red horse mostly. Red horse is like 6-7% though.

Their big thing is tanduay rum which is pretty good. Nothing like the baijo and warm snow/bautoquan/qingdao stuff in

The beers aren’t great. San Miguel lite and red horse mostly. Red horse is like 6-7% though.

Their big thing is tanduay rum which is pretty good. Nothing like the baijo and warm snow/bautoquan/qingdao stuff in
is that why macau and HK have san Miguels at most places to appease the filipino clientele?

is that why macau and HK have san Miguels at most places to appease the filipino clientele?

You know I’ve wondered that, I’ve also found red horse in conscience stores in Guangzhou which is strange.

also i am from new mex but i split my time between colorado so i love my IPA's, stouts etc..
but i have lowered my standards since moving overseas. i actually like Zhujiang, xuejin, wusu beer.

also i am from new mex but i split my time between colorado so i love my IPA's, stouts etc..
but i have lowered my standards since moving overseas. i actually like Zhujiang, xuejin, wusu beer.

When I lived in xinjiange I really liked the wusu, I grew up in New Mexico and lived in Colorado for like 3 years but havnt been to either state in several years other than just driving my through last summer with my wife.

I love IPAs

You know I’ve wondered that, I’ve also found red horse in conscience stores in Guangzhou which is strange.
you got points but i don't want to comment on them. maybe some laowai's with experience in the Philos traveled between the two places.

When I lived in xinjiange I really liked the wusu, I grew up in New Mexico and lived in Colorado for like 3 years but havnt been to either state in several years other than just driving my through last summer with my wife.

I love IPAs
yea man i was wondering that how is the best beer i have had in china from a muslim area???

a little off topic but have you tried mongolian baijiu?

Chicken Adobo is the national cuisine of Filipinos,

Before you drink your beer make sure there's a sisig in front of you.

yea man i was wondering that how is the best beer i have had in china from a muslim area???

a little off topic but have you tried mongolian baijiu?

The stuff made with horse milk??? If so yeah it’s pretty good.

The stuff made with horse milk??? If so yeah it’s pretty good.
yea that stuff i honestly have never had stronger school in m life.
anyway expat high five and good luck on your future ventures

yea that stuff i honestly have never had stronger school in m life.
anyway expat high five and good luck on your future ventures

I miss the expat life, I had 7 good years of it but I found myself in a spot where I had pretty much topped out the system available to me in Asia and there were good opportunities opening up back home so here I am.

One thing about the Mexican food there, it SUCKS. Big time. They do not know how to make anything decent. Being in the tropics, they feel they need put like mango and other fruit flavors in. Even when we went to a place that claimed to be authentic, it was garbage.

I am so tempted to invest a little money and open up a Chipotle style place. there. It would absolutely fuckin crush.

Back