Golovkin's performance against Jacobs.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Why did Golovkin not perform as expected against Jacobs? Is it because Golovkin is 35, or because Jacobs was better than anyone he had fought up to that point?

b.

Golovkin was actually expected to have a harder time against Jacobs.

I think a lot of people leading up to and after that fight have discredited Jacobs (maybe not in here) but a lot of people were saying Golovkin would blow through Jacobs, I figured it would be his toughest fight to date and it proved to be a challenge and as soon as the final bell rang nobody said man Jacobs did a good job it was Golovkin has lost it. He's too old and a wide range of things that took away from Jacobs.

Jacobs was quite a bit better than anyone else Golovkin had ever fought.

i never watched that fight, was it a good fight? is it worth watching?

I think Jacobs size was a factor too. Dude basically came in at cruiserweight size. Jacobs did skip the same day weigh-in making him ineligible to win the IBF title.

He came in big again for his fight with Luis Arias. John David Jackson was saying he looked like a cruiserweight for that fight as well.

http://www.boxingscene.com/jackson-jacobs-cruiserweight-an-unfair-advantage--122387

Jacobs was KO'd by Pirog back when he stayed closer to MW/SMW levels on fight night and Pirog wasn't a big puncher like Golovkin either. That extra weight in the Golovkin fight most likely allowed him to take the punches better.

Danny Jacobs was an amateur legend in new york but people wrote him off because of his KO loss to Pirog. What many don't realize is that he was already probably weakened from Cancer when he fought Pirog.

People that know boxing (particularly the new york scene) knew GGG wouldn't have an easy fight.

I think Jacobs size was a factor too. Dude basically came in at cruiserweight size. Jacobs did skip the same day weigh-in making him ineligible to win the IBF title.

He came in big again for his fight with Luis Arias. John David Jackson was saying he looked like a cruiserweight for that fight as well.

http://www.boxingscene.com/jackson-jacobs-cruiserweight-an-unfair-advantage--122387

Jacobs was KO'd by Pirog back when he stayed closer to MW/SMW levels on fight night and Pirog wasn't a big puncher like Golovkin either. That extra weight in the Golovkin fight most likely allowed him to take the punches better.

Was it a surprise to anyone that Jacobs is a big MW? Had they never seen him fight before?

Danny Jacobs was an amateur legend in new york but people wrote him off because of his KO loss to Pirog. What many don't realize is that he was already probably weakened from Cancer when he fought Pirog.

People that know boxing (particularly the new york scene) knew GGG wouldn't have an easy fight.

Man it was what it was. His grandmothers passing "ladybird" was a huge effect on that fight. That's why Dre made all those trunks special. There was the shit between Dre and Vic too.

He chose to fight though. I remember Tony, Mikey and I came down in the elevator same time as Pirog's team and I made the comment "you're going to get your ass kicked". Grano loved it. He just nodded and smiled.

Yeah though, Ken (who is one of Robert Diaz's best friends) and I watched that in shock. I literally had one of the hottest chicks you'll see talking to me at the beer cart and couldn't talk. Tyson talked to Danny in the lockerroom before that fight.

No excuses. Pirog deserves his props. I'll never forget Vic saying "you still want these gloves" and giving it this<Fedor23>

That was a difficult after fight. Danny flew back early

A lot of dumb people weren't evaluating Jacob's properly. They only looked at his worst moment and then insisted that's the best he could ever be even though he had already proven them wrong.

A lot of dumb people weren't evaluating Jacob's properly. They only looked at his worst moment and then insisted that's the best he could ever be even though he had already proven them wrong.

Well said.

i never watched that fight, was it a good fight? is it worth watching?

It's pretty good. Golovkin only comes forward and Danny never once looked like he was breaking down. He came came back with a lot of big shots and did well with his jab (so did GGG). Most guys who fight Golovkin start looking beat after a few rounds and they just last after that. Danny tried to win that fight from open to close, and came very close. It's not a slugfest or anything but there's plenty of exciting moments (at least there were on the night, might be less exciting when the outcome is known).

It's pretty good. Golovkin only comes forward and Danny never once looked like he was breaking down. He came came back with a lot of big shots and did well with his jab (so did GGG). Most guys who fight Golovkin start looking beat after a few rounds and they just last after that. Danny tried to win that fight from open to close, and came very close. It's not a slugfest or anything but there's plenty of exciting moments (at least there were on the night, might be less exciting when the outcome is known).

Yeah, I'd argue that he generally looked better as the fight went on.

Yeah, I'd argue that he generally looked better as the fight went on.

I wouldn't argue against it. Once he realized he could survive Golovkin's power and mitigate it a bit, he stood his ground and started putting things together.

I thought GGG looked really good against Jacobs - Jacobs is just a legit world class talent, and anyone can see that based off his recent performances.

I think GGG has the best jab in boxing today, and that is what won him the fight. It's pretty crazy to see a demolishing machine have such an amazing jab, he can double-triple it with ease and still have very good authoritative power with it. It's gotta be GGG's best weapon, it is what won him (should have won at least) the Canelo fight.

I'd be willing to bet the Jacobs that fought GGG would beat Canelo very easily.

I thought GGG looked really good against Jacobs - Jacobs is just a legit world class talent, and anyone can see that based off his recent performances.

I think GGG has the best jab in boxing today, and that is what won him the fight. It's pretty crazy to see a demolishing machine have such an amazing jab, he can double-triple it with ease and still have very good authoritative power with it. It's gotta be GGG's best weapon, it is what won him (should have won at least) the Canelo fight.

I'd be willing to bet the Jacobs that fought GGG would beat Canelo very easily.

He could beat him, but I think there is next to no chance that he'd do it easily.

He could beat him, but I think there is next to no chance that he'd do it easily.

I've never seen Canelo look special against someone he has to walk forward against that isn't much smaller than him. I don't see stylistically how he would do well against Jacobs because Jacobs would just box him at the end of his jab. And he would be too far out to land the counters he is accustomed to, and if he sits on the ropes Jacobs would do what Floyd did to him (sitting outside range and pecking at him) taking rounds easily. Also has that factor of power, with the ability to hurt him with his punches Canelo would have to be extra cautious about coming forward.

I've never seen Canelo look special against someone he has to walk forward against that isn't much smaller than him. I don't see stylistically how he would do well against Jacobs because Jacobs would just box him at the end of his jab. And he would be too far out to land the counters he is accustomed to, and if he sits on the ropes Jacobs would do what Floyd did to him (sitting outside range and pecking at him) taking rounds easily. Also has that factor of power, with the ability to hurt him with his punches Canelo would have to be extra cautious about coming forward.

If Jacobs had a truly world-class jab, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but he hasn't ever really showcased one. You're right about Canelo looking far worse when he was to go find his man, but he's a good enough boxer and counter puncher to significantly mute Jacobs' offense. We'd see a lot of close rounds, and I think there is an argument for Jacobs edging it, but I highly doubt it would be wide.

Back