Golovkin's performance against Jacobs.

Could be a smart move singing up with Matchroom and having Hearn reengineer his title crusade. Jacobs in no mug, but that performance was never going to see him go through GGG. A rematch in 2018 or beyond could produce a totally different outcome.

Golovkin is a pretty one dimensional fighter IMO. I've seen him struggle to adjust to both of his best opponents and should have lost both fights IMO.
i know you think he should've lost to jacobs, but you seriously think canelo won that fight? what?

i know you think he should've lost to jacobs, but you seriously think canelo won that fight? what?
Yeah, I had Canelo winning by a round or two. All Golovkin did was follow him around missing the same combo over and over. Golovkin got outboxed pretty clear IMO. Take away Golovkins rep as a big puncher and he did nothing to win that fight.
I thought Canelo beat Golovkin more clearly than Jacobs.

Yeah, I had Canelo winning by a round or two. All Golovkin did was follow him around missing the same combo over and over. Golovkin got outboxed pretty clear IMO. Take away Golovkins rep as a big puncher and he did nothing to win that fight.
wow, that's... interesting to say the least.

canelo landed more punches than GGG in only one round. when you outland your opponent by 50 punches in total, and get outlanded by 4 powerpunches in total, saying all you did was miss the same combo is kind of a stretch. he did nothing to win the fight except land more punches.

he stalked him, he outlanded him, and they were equal in power shots landed. i can somehow understand a draw, because it was a very good, very competitive fight... but saying canelo comfortably beat golovkin only shows a pretty blatant bias. not trying to start any shit here, you can score your fights any which way you want to and it's fine by me, but let's not shit ourselves here.

oh and i expect canelo to win the rematch.

wow, that's... interesting to say the least.

canelo landed more punches than GGG in only one round. when you outland your opponent by 50 punches in total, and get outlanded by 4 powerpunches in total, saying all you did was miss the same combo is kind of a stretch. he did nothing to win the fight except land more punches.

he stalked him, he outlanded him, and they were equal in power shots landed. i can somehow understand a draw, because it was a very good, very competitive fight... but saying canelo comfortably beat golovkin only shows a pretty blatant bias. not trying to start any shit here, you can score your fights any which way you want to and it's fine by me, but let's not shit ourselves here.

oh and i expect canelo to win the rematch.
Looking at the 4 scoring criteria, it was all Canelo. I thought he boxed up Golovkin pretty clearly. I was actually surprised more people didn't think Canelo won.

I also saw people calling every round close and then saying there's no way Canelo won.

I was the other way on it: I would have been fine with a jacobs win over ggg .... thought ggg legitly beat canelo

I had Jacobs winning by 1 round but also thought it was plausible to have GGG winning by 1 round.
I had Canelo-GGG a solid draw.
I love Golovkin but that didn't influence my scorecards.

Looking at the 4 scoring criteria, it was all Canelo. I thought he boxed up Golovkin pretty clearly. I was actually surprised more people didn't think Canelo won.

I also saw people calling every round close and then saying there's no way Canelo won.

Ha ha ha ha ha! TROLLING.

I had Jacobs winning by 1 round but also thought it was plausible to have GGG winning by 1 round.
I had Canelo-GGG a solid draw.
I love Golovkin but that didn't influence my scorecards.

Danny and GGG was close. I thought Danny won (bias aside) but if you had GGG winning close I get that.

GGG beat Canelo same way. I had him winning by two rounds

Why did Golovkin not perform as expected against Jacobs? Is it because Golovkin is 35, or because Jacobs was better than anyone he had fought up to that point?
Iirc Jacobs missed weight by a fair bit and looked a lot bigger than GGG in the ring. Nonetheless it was at that time GGGs hardest fight he had experienced

Golovkin missed his share of right hands, but he outlanded Canelo with his jab alone. He pushed the action and got Canelo where he wanted for at least 6 rounds. That's hardly getting outboxed clear. I can see a draw, though.

Iirc Jacobs missed weight by a fair bit and looked a lot bigger than GGG in the ring. Nonetheless it was at that time GGGs hardest fight he had experienced

I thought the knockdown gave GGG the win in a close fight.

Thta being said Jacobs did not miss weight at all. He made the weight limit just fine. The IBF belt has a rule that you must weigh in a second time the morning of the actual fight and be within a certain range of your weight from the night before so Danny chose not to fight for that particular belt. There were still other legit belts on the line. Some people say it was unfair for GGG to have to get on the scales the morning of the fight for that one belt when Danny didn't but GGG wanted to fight for that belt so it was his own choice. Sure Danny could have told GGG the day before that he wasn't going to fight for the IBF belt and save GGG the trouble of making weight the next day but it's boxing and you take any advantage you can get.

Danny and GGG was close. I thought Danny won (bias aside) but if you had GGG winning close I get that.

GGG beat Canelo same way. I had him winning by two rounds
Cool.

I had a different score.

Golovkin missed his share of right hands, but he outlanded Canelo with his jab alone. He pushed the action and got Canelo where he wanted for at least 6 rounds. That's hardly getting outboxed clear. I can see a draw, though.
Meh. Pushed the action? Whats that mean really? Canelos game was to box golovkin up and counter him and thats what he did all night. For the most part, Canelo was landing all the eye catching punches. Golovkin was rarely able to cut off the ring and when he did, it looked more like Canelo taking a break than Golovkin really doing anything different. Canelo just looked better all around in the fight.

Meh. Pushed the action? Whats that mean really? Canelos game was to box golovkin up and counter him and thats what he did all night. For the most part, Canelo was landing all the eye catching punches. Golovkin was rarely able to cut off the ring and when he did, it looked more like Canelo taking a break than Golovkin really doing anything different. Canelo just looked better all around in the fight.

Part of Canelo's plan did work. Don't think his plan was to get outlanded, though. He may have accepted to be pressed against the ropes but it happens to be where GGG wanted him. You make it seem like all criteria clearly favored Canelo. A case can be made on clean punches (landed more - the crieria isn't about flashiness), effective agression (moved forward with more volume - and landed more) and ring generalship (got Canelo against the ropes for a good half of the fight).

We all have our own favorite styles but you cannot see how Canelo's plan worked and discard how GGG's did. It was a close fight. I don't believe getting outlanded was part of Canelo's strategy.

Part of Canelo's plan did work. Don't think his plan was to get outlanded, though. He may have accepted to be pressed against the ropes but it happens to be where GGG wanted him. You make it seem like all criteria clearly favored Canelo. A case can be made on clean punches (landed more - the crieria isn't about flashiness), effective agression (moved forward with more volume - and landed more) and ring generalship (got Canelo against the ropes for a good half of the fight).

We all have our own favorite styles but you cannot see how Canelo's plan worked and discard how GGG's did. It was a close fight. I don't believe getting outlanded was part of Canelo's strategy.
It was close but I don't see why people would think its outlandish to give those close rounds to Canelo instead of Golovkin. Like I said earlier, all through the fight, the same people calling every round close are the same ones saying robbery.

IMO, Golovkin failed to do what he does for most of that fight. Canelo looked like Canelo. That was a Canelo fight.

It was close but I don't see why people would think its outlandish to give those close rounds to Canelo instead of Golovkin. Like I said earlier, all through the fight, the same people calling every round close are the same ones saying robbery.

IMO, Golovkin failed to do what he does for most of that fight. Canelo looked like Canelo. That was a Canelo fight.

To me both guys shined. I scored it 115-113 for GGG but I don't mind 114-114.

Thought GGG took it. I'm guessing most think Jacobs won because he didn't get finished like the rest of em.

Thought GGG took it. I'm guessing most think Jacobs won because he didn't get finished like the rest of em.

You can certainly give Jacobs 7 rounds. He hit the ground once, but overall he did better than Canelo at keeping GGG off of him, and he took away GGG's right hand just as well. 115-112 or 114-113 for Jacobs is relevent (I scored it 114-113) , as would be a 114-113 or 115-112 Golovkin victory.

Back