Gomi's place in LW history

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Takanori Gomi is my personal favorite LW of all time and I've noticed he doesn't get as much love on these forums as some of the other all time greats in their respective divisions. Where do you all rank Gomi on your all time LW rankings? I have him #2 behind BJ Penn and slightly ahead of guys like Frankie Edgar, Eddie Alvarez and Benson Henderson (with Tony Ferguson quickly gaining ground). Agree or disagree? Any favorite moments from his pride years?

#1 awkard moment winner

2433l80.gif

What a lot of people don't realize is he peaked early.

He began his career in 1998 so it is no surprise he started slowing down 10 years later.

He started out his career at 14-0.

At another point he was 24-2. And then 29-3. He was 31-5-1 before he debuted in the UFC. He was already losing before the UFC and was already slowing down.

He started out as a GNP wrestler type in Shooto but soon discovered his KO power in PRIDE.

His punching power, punching accuracy, hand speed, body shots and iron chin were all top notch in the history of the LW division.

His brutal GNP on Ishida on NYE was so frightening it looked like a horror movie.

So were the sprawl and knees on Ralph Gracie.

I have him behind only Penn, Frankie, RDA and Alvarez. He is about the same level as Bendo, Ferg, Melendez, Pettis. They all had about the same length of prime.

He began his career in 1998 so it is no surprise he started slowing down 10 years later.

At another point he was 24-2. And then 29-3. He was 31-5-1 before he debuted in the UFC. He was already losing before the UFC and was already slowing down.

He started out as a GNP wrestler type in Shooto but soon discovered his KO power in PRIDE.

His punching power, punching accuracy, hand speed, body shots and iron chin were all top notch in the history of the LW division.

His brutal GNP on Ishida on NYE was so frightening it looked like a horror movie.

I have him behind only Penn, Frankie, RDA and Alvarez. He is about the same level as Bendo, Ferg, Melendez, Pettis. They all had about the same length of prime.
Thanks for the input! RDA honestly slipped my mind, thanks for mentioning him. Man, there isn't much better MMA action than watching Gomi do work in his PRIDE prime!

Takanori Gomi is my personal favorite LW of all time and I've noticed he doesn't get as much love on these forums as some of the other all time greats in their respective divisions. Where do you all rank Gomi on your all time LW rankings? I have him #2 behind BJ Penn and slightly ahead of guys like Frankie Edgar, Eddie Alvarez and Benson Henderson (with Tony Ferguson quickly gaining ground). Agree or disagree? Any favorite moments from his pride years?

agree

good post, I think for me he's #2 but can't hate on Frankie, RDA or Eddie. I think Bendo and Melendez should get more love too. Even guys like Aoki too.

Not disagreeing with anything you said, and his 24-2 record at one time is pretty awesome. I was a fan. However, his UFC career makes him tumble down the ranks IMO. Even if you are past your prime, if you are an all-timer, you acquit yourself much better than he has in his UFC career. He's gotten the hot knife through butter treatment by at least 5 guys in the UFC. In fact, I only remember one really good result (KO of that one dark guy), so we can chalk that up to a "lucky punch".

He's just a legend of the past, but nowhere on any all-time greatest lists.

Not disagreeing with anything you said, and his 24-2 record at one time is pretty awesome. I was a fan. However, his UFC career makes him tumble down the ranks IMO. Even if you are past your prime, if you are an all-timer, you acquit yourself much better than he has in his UFC career. He's gotten the hot knife through butter treatment by at least 5 guys in the UFC. In fact, I only remember one really good result (KO of that one dark guy), so we can chalk that up to a "lucky punch".

I agree that UFC results are a huge factor when it comes to how a mixed martial artist is remembered, but why do you think that makes him nowhere near any all time great lists, especially since he was clearly washed up? Is it his level of competition in PRIDE? Or the fact that his game may not be as suited for the current state of MMA as it was when he was in his prime? I respect your opinion just curious what you think.

I think of him as the lightweight Miguel Torres.

The UFC didn't have the best fighters in the world when Pride was around. You realize this right? I agree that now it is important but for the great fighters back in the day when the UFC wasn't the dominant organization, not so much.

Very similar career trajectory to Wanderlei or Kid Yamamoto. Fighters who rely too much on power and toughness tend go on a steep decline past their physical prime.

The UFC didn't have the best fighters in the world when Pride was around. You realize this right? I agree that now it is important but for the great fighters back in the day when the UFC wasn't the dominant organization, not so much.
Lol noob revisionism strikes again!!!

This is exactly why its important to know when to call it quits

Fedor now on same boat completely ruining his legacy

There was a time long long ago on these forums where Gomi was thought to be unbeatable like a JBJ type figure

Top 15 because of so many bad ass LW's.

Fucken legend. I feel sorry for people who can't agree..

Back