Gomi's place in LW history

Fighters with the most Top 5/Top 10 Wins Thread...

GSP = Most Top 5 Wins --- Hendo = Most Top 10 Wins

d67bcf7eb5f4a01010f48e06de38f6c7--combat-sports-legends.jpg

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/gsp-most-top-5-wins-hendo-most-top-10-wins.2483907/
Excellent stuff! So he's right there with Fedor, Hendo, Wanderlei and Vitor when it comes to beating the best of the best, and is ahead of guys like Aldo, Jones and Rampage. Thank you for justifying my thread!

Not a Gomi hater, but two of my three top moments are losses:

BJ
Nick
Tyson

iz22q1.jpg

He's a legend to me, but maybe top 5 in terms of actual ability

I do feel the BJ fight is a bit unfair to Gomi's overall legacy though, you watch Gomi's career and his run in SHooto is actually based mostly on wrestling. In his highly questionable loss to Hansen for example and you see his boxing game is only just starting to get more focus which obviously made BJ a horrible match for him.

The Gomi of a year or two latter turned into a very different fighter though, much more focused on his striking and much improved technically.

#2 during the BJ Penn era. He had great stand up and was always putting on good shows.

#2 during the BJ Penn era. He had great stand up and was always putting on good shows.

Beat Pulver of course who Penn lost to, I could see peak Kawajiri beating Penn as well wearing him down with pressure.

8:10 it starts.

Incidentally, "Mach" was also one of my favourite fighters. Mach on his way slightly down whilst Gomi was still killing it.

First thing that comes to mind is him destroying all of the Chute Boxe guys in Pride.

He used to be a clear #2.

But so many good fighters have come since then

probably sits 5-10 at LW all time. To be completely honest

8:10 it starts.

Incidentally, "Mach" was also one of my favourite fighters. Mach on his way slightly down whilst Gomi was still killing it.

Lol at Trigg claiming the GnP wasn't damaging only to have Sakurai strumble around when he gets back up.

Last edited:
I have him at #1 or #2.

He has a better LW resume then BJ, but lost the h2h.

Wish we woulda seen them fight in 2005/2006!

Really at LW you don't have anyone with a cast iron claim as being the GOAT, its a group of about half a dozen fighters.

He's one of the fighters that never adapted to the cage like Cro Cop, he's better in the ring.

Gomi is an all time great for sure. Yes, he lost to Penn. He had a career resurgence after that. His strength of schedule absolutely beats Penn's LW resume.

People who followed his career know he's been burned out since Sengoku. He had 30 fights and was 10 years in by time PRIDE ended. He said years ago he only fights to appease his fans. I'm sure he needs the money too.

It's a real shame he didn't take a break, change up his training or just call it a day a long time ago.

He was amazing in his prime and had awesome fights but he really went to shit after Pride folded. He had bad performances in sengoku and his UFC career has been a bust.

Excellent stuff! So he's right there with Fedor, Hendo, Wanderlei and Vitor when it comes to beating the best of the best, and is ahead of guys like Aldo, Jones and Rampage. Thank you for justifying my thread!
One thing though... I haven't updated that thread since probably GSP vs Hendricks, iirc. So guys like Aldo, Jones, DJ, have a few more top quality wins than the thread shows.

#1 for me

Some of you get caught up in rankings and records.

Remember when Gomi DECIMATED his opposition? Gomi awkwardly climbing the turnbuckle, and always looking off balance? His baseball swing fists? Fucked up haircut?

It's usually Americans that get so obsessed about all time greats. It's a nice thing to discuss, but you have to feel free to love whoever

Back