Good article about the American who introduced Boxing to the USSR

That's pretty amazing. It's crazy how much knowledge was spread through military campaigns in terms of marital arts, and unarmed combat. It reminds me of when the American troops went to Asia, they learned karate from the Japanese and Okinawans (Judo as well I think), and brought it back over to the US after the war.

I wonder if any of the modern "USSR" boxers can trace their coaching lineage to Sidney Jackson.

That's pretty amazing. It's crazy how much knowledge was spread through military campaigns in terms of marital arts, and unarmed combat. It reminds me of when the American troops went to Asia, they learned karate from the Japanese and Okinawans (Judo as well I think), and brought it back over to the US after the war.

I wonder if any of the modern "USSR" boxers can trace their coaching lineage to Sidney Jackson.
Maybe Putin or Trump could tweet it lol as this is the history that should be taught...Sidney Jackson is a movie in making

Maybe Putin or Trump could tweet it lol as this is the history that should be taught...Sidney Jackson is a movie in making

They could reference him in the upcoming Creed 2. Tie him into Drago's family some kind of way.

Near all probably. Russia hasn't been open very long, you have the language barrier, and the standard of living is pretty low.

Near all probably. Russia hasn't been open very long, you have the language barrier, and the standard of living is pretty low.
Not only Russia but Hungary, Poland and maybe countries like Romania will have loads of Boxing history we don't know off and I'm just reading up of Yugoslavia like Boxers called Aziz Salihu and Mate Parlov who was a professional back in the 70s ?

Before the October Revolution, what was considered Russia or Ukraine back then did not have boxing, even the bareknuckle kind which eventually evolved in the Olympic boxing we know today?

It never diseminated into eastern Europe or something?

Back