Good BJJ School in Boston Area?

SnakePlissken

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been giving some major thought into joining a gym. I'm 22 and my biggest motivation for wanting to join a gym is this; I'm going crazy having no athletic outlet (played baseball + basketball my entire life, until HS wrapped), and because I respect the hell out of BJJ (as with any sport). I'm a huge MMA fan (have been for years now), and have always been fascinated by BJJ. I've kept myself in great shape, I'm 6'1" 155lbs. (I don't know why but I look much bigger than 155), so I'm a tall lanky bastard with long/(very) flexible legs + arms which I know can help in BJJ (I also know doesn't mean jack if you don't work hard). I'm a really respectful guy who has no problem taking direction or working hard. These are my main concerns; 1. I'm looking for a good school (maybe not so good that I'll look like a fool showing up with no experiance: I think Sityodtong, correct me if i'm wrong). 2. None of my friends want to take classes with me, so a "welcoming school" would be great. Also on that note is it often people come in alone or do people generally have a partner (won't stop me either way). And for the record I really just want to learn and progress in a new sport (I'd love to be UFC champ, but, I don't have any delusions). I'm not here asking how long would it take for me to get a balck belt, I know it usually takes many many years, like I said I just want to "learn" and "work". So yeah, hopefuly in time I'll become a real member of this board who can give input (and take some). Thanks in advance guys. Oh, and I'm in Quincy, MA which touches Boston to the South.

I have no first-hand knowledge of any academy in the area, but a quick Google search suggests that the closest legitimate school close to Quincy may be Gracie Barra Boston in Newton. According to the website, there are 7 black belt instructors there.

Hopefully, some local practitioners will chime in. Good luck!

I used to train under a couple of guys who are now at Wai Kru, so I can definitely recommend them.

WAI KRU - Boston's Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing and MMA Gym

And it's probably good that you're not counting on being UFC champ, because that's just an unbelievably unrealistic expectation (considering you're 22 with no background in anything). Once you start training you'll realize the skill gap, and that professional competition is not just something you can step into after a few months.

Honestly, at this level, you don't need to be training with top level pros, just as long as the instructor is good and you like the atmosphere. And most every school I've been to is welcoming, and most people tend to sign up alone. And when they do sign up as a pair, it's practically a guarantee that one of them will quit.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was really lookin' into Gracie Barra, but that's correct, even thought in reality Quincy (at least where I am) is only around 10 miles (maybe less) from Newton it would be "the ride from Hell" (especially considering I'd like to go as much as I can). I won't rule it out however, maybe I'll do a dry run to see how quickly I could get there. Anyone know about American Top Team Boston in Rockland (again I don't want to look like a fool showing up with no experience considering it's American Top Team). Yeah, I mean i'd be in it for the long hall, i'd be great if I found I was a "prodegy" (I don't count anything out), but in reality I just want to train and progress and maybe after years and years I could become a solid BJJ practitioner. I just really can't stand not participating in sports (and like I said I love + respect all martial arts), I really should have tried out for baseball in college (I was good enough, I won several Coaches Awards/MVP's over my career), I really don't know why I didn't. But yeah, I could see myself really dedicating myself to BJJ (that's not saying I think i'll be great). Thanks again guys.

BTW SuperSuperRambo, great username, and being a Misfits fan I like your avatar.

there is also a BTT school in boston, seriously you're in good shape out there...

You won't look like a fool turning up to any school as a beginner. Walking in the door and getting in that first class is all you need to do.

BTW SuperSuperRambo, great username, and being a Misfits fan I like your avatar.

Awesome. I keep the Jerry Only bobble head av because I need something to make me seem funny, but scary at the same time.

I feel like helping you more now, but I really have no way do to that.

I don't wanna threadjack, but I was wondering if there was any jits place close to UMASS Boston.

Gracie Barra is easily the best place in the greater boston area, tons of high quality guys train there.

I train at Northshore BJJ, under Danny Morera, a Roberto Maia BB. It is in Salem, Ma about 20 minutes from where i live, In Dorchester, Right next to the UMass- Boston Campus. They have some good guys there too

You should checkout Carlos Neto, his gym is in Somerville, and he also teaches classes at Readline in Central Square (on the redline, so easy to get too from Quincy).

Lol- after 5 years, I'm pretty sure he either quit or found a gym. But thanks for playing.

You should checkout Carlos Neto, his gym is in Somerville, and he also teaches classes at Readline in Central Square (on the redline, so easy to get too from Quincy).

guy doesn't teach at redline anymore due to his gyms reputation for sexist behavior. Avoid Neto bjj at all costs

Go to the closest legit gym. Its that simple, and since boston is full of legit schools you will be fine .

Back