Good Instruction no sparring??

i agree with you and thats exactly what it was....a test, my old boxing coach actually told me that. as far as ppl getting turned off to the sport from sparring, yeah i agree with that too.............another area you see the same thing happen is guys fighting before they are ready, either by themself, or by their coach, and theres alot of shitty coaches out there that just toss guys into fights not ready or well prepared, these guys either get KO'd or lose their first few fights and quit.
I think that the heart test should come when somebody says they want to fight. Shark tank them to the breaking point with your good guys, see if they fake an injury and quit, or double down and keep going.
Some guys aren’t game to fight, they can still be good training partners, learn, spar, and some times you can bring them up to do a smoker or two. It’s a shame to run then off in the first week.

I think that the heart test should come when somebody says they want to fight. Shark tank them to the breaking point with your good guys, see if they fake an injury and quit, or double down and keep going.
Some guys aren’t game to fight, they can still be good training partners, learn, spar, and some times you can bring them up to do a smoker or two. It’s a shame to run then off in the first week.
Most coaches can tell if the guy's really in for it for real, or just to butter up the coach even before the hard training.

"I wanna fight coach, give me a fight"

Goes rough on the trial guys and fresh blood, but disappears for a month after sparring with the ammy prospects. Had one guy that did that here. He was one of the most jealous guys I've ever met. Lol

To answer reply...we dont even do minimal freestyle sparring ...like going 50%. We every once and a while will do kicking drills with some contact.

Im not saying i even want to be hard core fighter or even ready for hard sparring. But its odd to me to never see sparring and have 40 people in class. It could be im not good enough yet..but i dont think anything is going to change by me staying another year and hitting focus pads with 40 people.

Oh well i think you guys maybe answered my questions. Maybe i need to move..lol I started martial arts at a smaller gym and it was more of a family. We would spar and coach seemed to actually care.

They do have the armband system ...so inhave heard that green belt and higher are advanced...so they spar..

To answer reply...we dont even do minimal freestyle sparring ...like going 50%. We every once and a while will do kicking drills with some contact.
From the looks of the schedule, the sparring will be in the advanced class. Beginner classes will have at most partner drills (what you've been doing, basically)

Oh well i think you guys maybe answered my questions. Maybe i need to move..lol I started martial arts at a smaller gym and it was more of a family. We would spar and coach seemed to actually care.
Thats a reason why small gyms are excellent, the 1 on 1 personal time is going to be alot better than a chain type gym.

There's no open training on the schedule, if there is open training grab a teammate / friend and spar, drill, do whatever in the open area

From the looks of the schedule, the sparring will be in the advanced class. Beginner classes will have at most partner drills (what you've been doing, basically)

Thats a reason why small gyms are excellent, the 1 on 1 personal time is going to be alot better than a chain type gym.

There's no open training on the schedule, if there is open training grab a teammate / friend and spar, drill, do whatever in the open area

I cant seem to find it, but I there was an article I read a while back, about how when you run a gym, you get tons of people that come in and say they want to fight on the first day but its all a bunch of bs etc etc. has anyone else seen this article? I want to say it was CSA gym talking about when he allows his guys to go fight.

also regarding training at smaller gyms, me and my boxing coach were having a similar conversation about this. smaller gyms and hole in the wall type places are usually where you get better instruction. The guy you need to watch out for is the guy training in his garage, not at UFC gym.

I cant seem to find it, but I there was an article I read a while back, about how when you run a gym, you get tons of people that come in and say they want to fight on the first day but its all a bunch of bs etc etc. has anyone else seen this article? I want to say it was CSA gym talking about when he allows his guys to go fight.

also regarding training at smaller gyms, me and my boxing coach were having a similar conversation about this. smaller gyms and hole in the wall type places are usually where you get better instruction. The guy you need to watch out for is the guy training in his garage, not at UFC gym.
I think I know what you are talking about with the article, but I didn't see it as an article at the time, but as a long Facebook post. Something about the people who always ask and nag for an event, but will never compete, and the other type that just trains hard regardless and eventually they get one after improving.

Man I remember when the Tapout training center opened up near here (1h drive away), I was hella envious of the luxury of space and facilities. Their apparel and gear room was 2x bigger than our gym! The gym was obviously a boxercise fitness gym rather than fight gym. They used the branding to make it seem like it was a fight gym for repeat business. Pretty common with this business model.

I think I know what you are talking about with the article, but I didn't see it as an article at the time, but as a long Facebook post. Something about the people who always ask and nag for an event, but will never compete, and the other type that just trains hard regardless and eventually they get one after improving.

Man I remember when the Tapout training center opened up near here (1h drive away), I was hella envious of the luxury of space and facilities. Their apparel and gear room was 2x bigger than our gym! The gym was obviously a boxercise fitness gym rather than fight gym. They used the branding to make it seem like it was a fight gym for repeat business. Pretty common with this business model.

lol yes exactly what UFC gym has done.

511173ad5d3c36e104bfd751b1dea1dddb6b533e15ebaf71b03c41ad6bc46582.jpg

ask your coach? not sure what answer you are looking for here.
At my gym we have a huge poster on the wall.
It says in big red caps:

ASK THE COACH !

I think most ppl get the idea...

Lol id ask coach but literally he goes from class to class. In a year he has probably said like 5 sentences to me. Like ...turn on front foot more...then he is off to other people. I also dont want to be "that guy" ....

Lol id ask coach but literally he goes from class to class. In a year he has probably said like 5 sentences to me. Like ...turn on front foot more...then he is off to other people. I also dont want to be "that guy" ....

your coaches website and social media show him working with students, and also showed light sparring in the classes. of course that could all just be for the camera.

Who knows..lol Im going to stop complaining and just train. Its not like im going to be in ufc..lol When my contract is up i will decide if i will switch gyms or not. Problem is they have best class times. It maybe my only option..lol

Injure and drug the other students so he'll give you attention by default

Fast-and-furious-Winning-is winning.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back