Good job NAC, way to protect the fighter.

So Lee is nervous and scared going into his fight with Ferguson causing his heart rate to be up and he should get a pass for being a mediocre talent?

GTFOH TS.

View attachment 289495

So Lee had a staph infection, and a heart rate that was *literally* twice what Ferguson's was... Yea, good to go.
For you people who don't understand. A heart rate over 100 Beats Per Minute, and a blood pressure of 106/52, in the context of an infection is NOT a good thing.

The heart shouldn't be beating that fast to maintain a blood pressure of 106/52. His heart was beating fast to compensate for the decreased blood volume (dehydration) to maintain his cardiac output (how much blood is pumped to the organs).

Very dangerous situation. The guy could have gone into hypovolemic shock. What kind of doctor worth his licence would sanction a dude to fight under this context?

If I am wrong somebody correct me. I am studying for the USMLE so I am using every opportunity to get my basic sciences ironed out. I suck so far. LOL

at least the fight was one. thanks NSAC

I will go as far as saying it has already been established that if Lee was healthy then, he would have surely won that fight. Between those two Lee was clearly the superior fighter, but the circumstances going to that fight & the situation he was in,didn't help him in his case.
<{fry}>

So Lee is nervous and scared going into his fight with Ferguson causing his heart rate to be up and he should get a pass for being a mediocre talent?

GTFOH TS.
His heart was beating fast because he was dehydrated with hypovolemia. That causes his blood pressure to drop. When blood pressure drops, Cardiac output drops i.e. you will not get enough blood to the organs.

To compensate for such low blood volume, the body increases the heart rate to make the heart pump harder and get blood to the system.

Also, you produce renin which will lead to angiotensin 2 which will retain salt to increase blood volume, produce ADH to minimize water loss, and constrict your peripheral blood vessels to force more blood back to the heart.

Plus the guy had an active infection which leads to inflammation and the loss of water from the blood.

If you go to an emergency room like Kevin was on that fight night, you will be pumped with so much IV fluids, and definitely not allowed to fight.

These UFC/NSAC doctors will get you killed for peanuts. LOL

Idk why the fighters keep getting staph infections. Shower, wash your gear and keep the gym clean and staph infections should no longer be a thing.
Should I was my gym bag too? I got to thinking about that.

So half-dead Kevin Lee manhandled Tony Ferg for 2.5 rounds ? Huge fan of Tony but honestly either Khabib, Conor or healthy Kevin kills him

A pulse of 154 just from standing there is insane.

Yea. I've had a resting pulse of 120 before, but I was in severe heart failure at the time. For a "healthy" guy, it shouldn't happen.

Are you guys seriously saying that this heart rate was without any activity?? :eek:

Because that's insane, I'm a coach potato and I get 150 bpr when I'm at my bike, going pretty hard...

Last edited:
Are you guys seriously saying that this heart rate was without any activity?? :eek:

Because that's insane, I'm a coach potato and I get 150 bpr when I at bike, going pretty hard...

It should be higher than normal because it's done immediately after weighins, when they're dehydrated, which is why Tony's in up in the 70s. But 150 just from standing shouldn't happen, and should get you sent to the ER.

This reminds me of the old Ali story where before the Liston fight his bp & heart rate where real high and I guess the fight was close to being called off.

Idk why the fighters keep getting staph infections. Shower, wash your gear and keep the gym clean and staph infections should no longer be a thing.

Stress plays a huge factor when you think about how much strain these guys put on their minds and bodies. They have to fight, they work very seriously day in day out. It's like AIDS, they say your immune system has to be trash to catch it outside of the textbooks ways.You could be doing everything right on paper and stuff like this can still happen if you walk around nervous/putting pressure on yourself. And Lee probably did, it's the biggest fight of his life and there was a lot on the line for him as far as keeping momentum.

........ And thus the myth of " low heart rate Lee " was born , - joining the ranks of "sea level Cain" and so many other creatures never to be seen

He was just nervous and anxious.
Taking your blood pressure and pulse in the laying, seated, and standing position is called orthostatic vital signs. An increase of 20 beats per minute from laying to standing indicates a lack of blood volume. Lee had his taken from sitting to standing and it increased 18. In Kevins case dehydration and infection caused his elevated heart rate, he was in very bad shape. Nerves would not increase the rate from sitting to standing. I was a military medic for the last 20 years and have done this procedure countless times.

DMXdjYRUEAAx5Zq.jpg

Wow.

Back