good mma strikers with short reach

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
iv been boxing since i was 14 im 27 now i didnt realize how short my arms were till few years ago im 6 1 and fight at 170 i was always taught to fight tall i like to stick and move but then realized one day how short my arms were when a 135er touched chin to chin with our jab and he had a tiny bit more reach than me lol i have a 75 inch wing span but that doesnt mean u have long arms i have very wide shoulder but tiny reach from armpit to fist

i have to completely change how i fight now i like to sue my hands to set up takedowns but i like to box too
i decided to start studying mma guys who have shorter arms who like to box so started watching chad mendes and frankie edgar anymore guys you can think of? the difference though is im kinda tall for 170 as im almost 6 foot 1 while chad and Frankie are short for there division

iv been boxing since i was 14 im 27 now i didnt realize how short my arms were till few years ago im 6 1 and fight at 170 i was always taught to fight tall i like to stick and move but then realized one day how short my arms were when a 135er touched chin to chin with our jab and he had a tiny bit more reach than me lol i have a 75 inch wing span but that doesnt mean u have long arms i have very wide shoulder but tiny reach from armpit to fist

i have to completely change how i fight now i like to sue my hands to set up takedowns but i like to box too
i decided to start studying mma guys who have shorter arms who like to box so started watching chad mendes and frankie edgar anymore guys you can think of? the difference though is im kinda tall for 170 as im almost 6 foot 1 while chad and Frankie are short for there division

Rampage?
73inch, 6'1 (may be shorter cause the promoters lie about height)
Rampage was a LHW tho, so he was fighting bigger guys.

not guys who were over 185 rampage and igor threw big bombs rampage stopped punching after 2010 it seemed after the rashad fight

BJ's 70" could be considered short reach. His boxing was pretty good.

Duane Ludwig also has 70" but can pack a punch.

Oh, and Matt Serra! 69"

And someone will probably mention Lobov for sure. :p

Last edited:
Boxing - mike tyson

Thai/kick - saenchai

MMA - thiago alves

not guys who were over 185 rampage and igor threw big bombs rampage stopped punching after 2010 it seemed after the rashad fight
Yoel's is 73"
Btw, your coach taught you to be a outside fighter?

yes his
Yoel's is 73"
Btw, your coach taught you to be a outside fighter?
sons a good pro too who's 6 2 long reach he didnt realize how short my arms were obviously just due to me being tall i have abnormally wide shoulders so wingspan is misleading i honestly have the arm length of most guys at 135 lol but luckly my height isnt bad

its gonna be a lil bit of an adjustment since for half my life iv tried to b mostly an outsidefighter unless im doing mma and trying to close the distance for takedowns

i trained some with marcus davis also who helped me a bit on closing the gap while punching and moving forward at the same time he has short arms

The GOAT

another-fan-edited-picture-of-the-russian-hammer-and-the-goat-artem-lobov-1536053899.jpg

Yoel romero (I have not looked at his reach though, you could learn to pace yourself by watching him), John dodson. Those are the only ones that come to mind, you could also look at Matt Serra too.

they alllike to throw big bombs very stiff explo
Yoel romero (I have not looked at his reach though, you could learn to pace yourself by watching him), John dodson. Those are the only ones that come to mind, you could also look at Matt Serra too.
sive i like to box be smoother in and out i box alot like marcus davis as i learnt a good bit from him

I think it would be useful to look at matches where, A. both fighters were top 10 at the time of the fight or otherwise high level competition, B. the fight primarily took place on the feet, and C. the fighter with a shorter reach defeated the fighter with a longer reach. You look at examples and consider how they happened, what lesions you can take away, and what potential avenues they point too.

First case that comes to mind is Bisping vs Silva. Woodley vs Thompson and Till also qualify.

what about sean sherk how good do you think his boxing really was i dont remember watching him much but he liked to use his short ass arms to setting up his double and body locks curious how good his fundamentals were if he was just a wrestler with an overhand and winged shots to get in then wont do any good

do you naturally what to move outside punches (slip right) or move to the inside of punches. if you naturally move outside it is extremely difficult to learn to slip inside (like tyson). the active parry is usually a better option (used by marciano and robinson) dwight braxton also slipped more to the outside when closing the distance. i highly recommend braxton as he had great all round boxing skills and was extremely effective at both close and middle range.

i would recommend studying marciano, but he fought in too much of a crouch for mma. being so low and off centre makes you horribly vulnerable to the switch kick and step up knee.

i for years tried to use my range i liked to stick and move with straight shots but now having to change my game to fighting to ge inside i need to have a style like frankie tbh me and frankie have similar style with straight shots and alot of movement i really need to develop a good overhand to get in as well

i use my boxing to set up takedowns is what i like to do but i love to strike as well

Back