Good to see Reigns got over with the fans.

Your timing is a little off, I think. He was hated about at the midpoint of that year, when it was largely reported that he was going to be Vince's golden boy. It was a pent up backlash, from the fans feeling slighted when they gave Batista such a big push a year earlier, which ultimately blew up in their faces, and they were forced to change the WM main event to include Bryan, because Orton vs Batista was shaping up to be an absolute disaster. To the fans, it's like they proved their point, and then Vince went against the consensus again a year later, and gave another big goon the spotlight.

There is some smarkyness, to how Reigns was treated by the fans, but in certain respects, I can understand it, because it seemed for a while there, that Vince was just trolling them, and they let his golden boy have it, in response. Just look at that Rumble Reigns won. It wasn't just Bryan getting treated like shit. It was all the darlings, and you ended up with Reigns, Kane, and Big Show at the end. There's no way that wasn't an intentional big "fuck you" to the fans.

Reigns was initially liked though. In the Batista Rumble, they wanted him to win so badly at the end. The worm started to turn, when the writing was on the wall about the direction they were going, which was well before the Rumble. It also didn't help much that they tried to make Reigns a wise cracking, against all odds John Cena clone.

The end of that rumble was the worst I have ever seen. You knew show and Kane were not going to win. The crowd was half booing because of the horrendous, lazy writing. It was a literal writing botch. Terrible. But no, reigns was not getting that much hate before that rumble at all.. Mete months earlier we had the "I cheered for reigns first" signs being popular. The previous year he got a huge pop after the rumble because he was in so long.. He was loved as a heel at that time; he didn't fkn change.

The end of that rumble was the worst I have ever seen. You knew show and Kane were not going to win. The crowd was half booing because of the horrendous, lazy writing. It was a literal writing botch. Terrible. But no, reigns was not getting that much hate before that rumble at all.. Mete months earlier we had the "I cheered for reigns first" signs being popular. The previous year he got a huge pop after the rumble because he was in so long.. He was loved as a heel at that time; he didn't fkn change.

The crowd popped huge for Rusev, who was still in the thick of his "Fuck America" monster push when they realized he was still in it. I was at that PPV and the crowd fucking booed his silouhette during the promo videos. They were chanting "Roman sucks!" in the parking lot beforehand.

Not sure what the OP is getting at, though. He wasn't over as a face at EC either. The crowd was clearly behind Braun and booed roman winning. They were with him for his promo the next night, though. That's been the case through much of the past few years. When they let him be a badass version of himself, the crowd is into it. Having him play the hero in the white hat riding in to save the day just doesn't work and it makes for a shitty show when that hero shows up and gets booed out of the building.

And, as someone else said, putting him in the "underdog that the company doesn't want to win" role is just retarded. He would have fit much more in the chosen one category, particularly because all the fans knew he was the chosen one. That worked for Bryan, because it was based on reality. It worked for Austin because of his past getting shafted in WCW. It didn't work for the guy for whom it was leaked that Vince saw him as "the next Cena."

The guy is just a few character tweaks from being a potential all-time great. He is very good in the ring, especially for a guy that size, he's improved significantly on the mic, and he seems to be one of the hardest working guys in the company.

Reigns never seems to stick up for his character or have any idea of what HE wants to do. He just marches out there and says whatever stupid shit they write for him.

That’s the problem with the whole show right now. Guys are killing themselves in the ring, but little limp wristed yes men when it comes to character and angles.

NONE of the greats, Austin, Hart, Michaels, Rock, Hogan... even guys like Punk or Nash, ever got great without pushing their characters and gimmicks in the direction they felt it should go. And that usually involved standing up for themselves creatively.

I mean, can you imagine Jake Roberts agreeing to say this stupid ass shit?

Sorry, not a fan.

The crowd popped huge for Rusev, who was still in the thick of his "Fuck America" monster push when they realized he was still in it. I was at that PPV and the crowd fucking booed his silouhette during the promo videos. They were chanting "Roman sucks!" in the parking lot beforehand.

Not sure what the OP is getting at, though. He wasn't over as a face at EC either. The crowd was clearly behind Braun and booed roman winning. They were with him for his promo the next night, though. That's been the case through much of the past few years. When they let him be a badass version of himself, the crowd is into it. Having him play the hero in the white hat riding in to save the day just doesn't work and it makes for a shitty show when that hero shows up and gets booed out of the building.

And, as someone else said, putting him in the "underdog that the company doesn't want to win" role is just retarded. He would have fit much more in the chosen one category, particularly because all the fans knew he was the chosen one. That worked for Bryan, because it was based on reality. It worked for Austin because of his past getting shafted in WCW. It didn't work for the guy for whom it was leaked that Vince saw him as "the next Cena."

The guy is just a few character tweaks from being a potential all-time great. He is very good in the ring, especially for a guy that size, he's improved significantly on the mic, and he seems to be one of the hardest working guys in the company.

So WWE should know by now. Book hin to lose....often and badly. the fans will eventually take pity and try to do the opposite...

A place where we're not despicable heathens that call pork roll "Taylor Ham!"

Pork Roll (regionally known as Taylor Ham)[1][2] is a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, New York, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Hamilton Square, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham".[3] Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as a "pork roll" alongside their competitors.

Were I Vince, I'd book Roman to either
1) collude with The Authority (Vince, not brand face Steph) to screw Lesnar and turn heel, or
2) have Brock beat then lay down and pull Brocks arm over him for the 1-2-3. "I know I can beat him. But you don't know what to do with him. Brock Lesnar and that title are still your problem, Vin."

Pork Roll (regionally known as Taylor Ham)[1][2] is a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, New York, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Hamilton Square, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham".[3] Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as a "pork roll" alongside their competitors.

Even the guy who invented it, got it wrong at first. That's why I try not to judge you people too harshly.

Last edited:
I remember a Cena interview and he said that even if the wrestler is booked as a face but is getting booed by fans he is the heel. He explained that Vince knew that fans are smarks. So the booking doesn't really matter as long as you get a reaction. Getting booed is better than getting no reaction. In other words Roman Reigns is a heel. Chris Jericho also explained in a podcast that if Roman was book like what the fans wanted (a heel) then people will start liking him because WWE is giving them what they want.

I understand both Cena and Chris Jericho's point. It makes sense but it is too meta. It only makes sense if you are a fan of WWE. If you are a casual then you will just get turned off.

John+Cena+s+heel+turn_af29ed_4541852.gif

They're really strapped over a barrel on this, too. Smark boos take the energy away when Roman's out there but turning him heel will probably hurt merch sales. Even people who aren't indy whackers are wishing ill on the dude.

"Roman sucks!"
"His in-ring performance?" "No."
"His promos still awful?" "No."
"His character as a real person?" "No."
"Why boo him?"
"HE DOESN'T DESERVE A PUSH!!!"
"Who does?"
"Rusev Day!"
"How much more tread do you think is left on the tires of that gimmick?"
"It could last until they convince CM Punk to come back now that Daniel Bryan is cleared."
"Take a shower. Hit the weights. Get a clue."

Back