Goodman reporting that Yair Rodríguez is a free agent

AGEZ909

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
0075EC6D-2B07-4524-86F6-2E2A880F7727.png

Why was he cut? Scared of Zabit? I don’t think that’s as probable as ufc trying to strong arm him into a crappy situation. They even announced the zabit fight before it was made official.

Anyways, Where will he end up? Very marketable fighter.

I could see him in Cómbate Américas or Bellator.

He is a must sign for Bellator. He is young, marketable, and has a great style. Bellator will scoop him up and build him up the right way. Idk what UFC is doing over there but they just gifted Bellator a great prospect.

He reportedly refused to fight Lamas and Zabit, UFC might start cracking down on cherry pickers.

He should go to Combate, more chance of lucrative sponsorships in the Hispanic market.

He is a must sign for Bellator. He is young, marketable, and has a great style. Bellator will scoop him up and build him up the right way. Idk what UFC is doing over there but they just gifted Bellator a great prospect.
Um, he's only thought of the way he is now because the UFC built him up. Who are all the great successful MMA fighters from Mexico... Um... just the guy the UFC manufactured hype on... Yair. They propped and built him up hoping for a star down there. Now he seems to refuse fights either because of lack of confidence or because he bought his own hype and thinks he's above these guys. Either way, a good cut.

Feeding him Bellator cans for years won't garner them any ratings. I'm thinking this might be another move to try and hurt Bellator.
Have them overpay for a flashy mid-tier prospect that won't bring any ratings. If they sign him they might even invest a bunch of money to do shows and promotion in Mexico which might not be a good return on their investment. Plus it already kind of looks like Viacom is cooling on coker's lame overpaying UFC vets strategy while they get bad ratings and lose money hand over fist so it might be bad timing for all that.

Last edited:
Would love to see him in Bellator. They would probably give him the Larkin/Bader treatment by putting him in a title fight right off the bat.

Cutting him was dumb as hell. Turning down these fights isnt cool, he dont want that work that Zabit was gonna give him but dont see why you cut him over that.

Wonder if UFC is so used to having fighters fight who they tell them and now more and more are saying no that they are making an example of someone. Someone is is ranked but not a must have. Still, if he needed to fight someone who is lower ranked and not a killer like Zabit why not give it to him?

If he started to turn down lower level guys then ok but I'd have alteast given him another option. But it def isnt a good look to be a top 10 fighter and turn down fights.

Combates makes the most sense since they can build the entire org around him but I really hope they dont sign him, hope he goes to Bellator. The competition in Combates isnt there. Much rather see him vs the likes of Gallagher, AJ, Curran etc in Bellator.

if Bellator signs him I hope to hell they dont build him the Bellator way which is squash matches for years.

Hope they actually try to challenge him like UFC was trying to do.

Seems like a dumb cut but what do I know? The UFC seems to be making money, even with all their perceived "dumb moves."

Random thoughts.

I remember the fitch situation where it was basically ufc or bust. In those days, yair would have been shit out of luck. I’m glad there are at least some alternatives for people who get cut by the ufc for one reason or another.

Also, could this be a case of yair not wanting to sign a crappy fight? It seems that more and more fighters want more money considering how much ufc is looking to make. It isn’t completely out of the question.

Yair would be a HUGE signing for Bellator. Not because he’s a household name right now, but he has a lot of potential to be. He can easily bring the Mexican fan base to Bellator, and he’s got a very exciting style. He’s young so he has a lot of room to develo. Let’s hope Coker actually picks him up!

if Bellator signs him I hope to hell they dont build him the Bellator way which is squash matches for years.

Hope they actually try to challenge him like UFC was trying to do.
I could see him fighting Chandler. I think it would end up like the Frankie fight.

Nah, needs to stay at 145 for now. Chandler would whoop him. How about Yair vs Straus?
Straus :(

Las thing I’ve heard about Straus is that he’d be lucky to walk after his motorcycle accident. I’m hoping I’m out of the loop and he is doing well.

Nah, needs to stay at 145 for now. Chandler would whoop him. How about Yair vs Straus?
I forgot 155 is the weight Chandler fights at. Strauss would be great.@AGEZ909 i had not heard that. That saddens me.

Well if he aint trying to fight top dudes. Scott Coker is more than happy to feed him chumps for 3 years.

Straus :(

Las thing I’ve heard about Straus is that he’d be lucky to walk after his motorcycle accident. I’m hoping I’m out of the loop and he is doing well.

Oh damn, I’ve gotta look that up! I was just thinking he was on hiatus after his last fight with Pitbull.

I’d put Yair up against the loser or Pitbull/Weichel then.

Yair vs Emmanuel Sanchez in bellator would be fun, also if he was allowed to do a few fights in Rizin

Justin Lawrence vs Yair Rodriguez is already a fact in later 2018....
Seriously talking Curran vs Rodriguez or something like that if Bellator can ink Yair should be a good start.... kinda the Larkin way, no easy fights

Back