Google Tracks Your Phone Location, Regardless of Your Permission

Was talking about things like this in another thread. I wonder how many people who act like this is something pretty bad all but reflexively use their products still? Sitting here lamenting a big company tagging you like so much livestock while using their phone, their search engine, their map program, and their video service day in, day out? Guess what people - you've voted with your habits and wallets that this is what you want. Your protestations are a silly little bit of hypocrisy.

A dairy cow would also be of the mind set that it is easier to remain a dairy cow than to venture outside the safety and familiarity of the farm.

Your phone listens to everything said and typed

We willingly carry our own tracking device

As I've gotten less paranoid, things like this don't bother me like they used to.

As I've gotten less paranoid, things like this don't bother me like they used to.

Just because you become acclimated to something doesn't mean you should be alright with it.

Anybody surprised? You data is the most valuable commodity to Google, Facebook and Amazon. All of them feeds that data to advertisers and governments so they can bypass any judicial review process.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45183041
I told Sherdog they were doing this a good while ago, but it was nice to see Princeton confirm it in such a straightforward and comprehensive fashion.

I think a lot of it really is paranoia though.

Paranoia is when you think something is happening, but it isn't. Make no mistake, every single communication you make is monitored and recorded. Your life has been tapped. That is not paranoia.

Are you on instagram? It’s quite freaky how the ads are all about things you have been talking about, not on your phone, just talking to people

Paranoia is when you think something is happening, but it isn't. Make no mistake, every single communication you make is monitored and recorded. Your life has been tapped. That is not paranoia.
Right, I agree that we're essentially under surveillance most of the time. It's just that it couldn't really be otherwise with the place we're at in technology. And it's nearly all about marketing. I'm not really getting that mark of the beast feel that is driving most of the worry.

It taught me to vote with the dollar when I inevitably didn't like something.

Yeah, Google is doomed to go under now that people of conscience have stopped using their services. Consumers control corporations. So, again, don't be scared, homies.

Right, I agree that we're essentially under surveillance most of the time. It's just that it couldn't really be otherwise with the place we're at in technology. And it's nearly all about marketing. I'm not really getting that mark of the beast feel that is driving most of the worry.

Heh, I don't think we need to bring the mark of the beast into this topic. What I'm saying is that I value my privacy more than the average person does. I find the current state of snooping by both the government and major corporations to be unreasonable. There is also a reason to believe that the very nature of our technology is fundamentally changing the way we think. I find this 5 minute clip both fascinating and frightening, if you get the time check it out.

Libertarianism taught me a long time ago that private businesses pose no threat to my personal liberty or privacy. So I'm not scared.
Most of these 'security' features are imposed by the government.

Believe it or not but the government wants to know what you are up to. Corporations just want to sell you shit.

I thought this was all known already? Next people are going to be shocked to find out the Amazon Echo is recording everything.

Most of these 'security' features are imposed by the government.

As it relates to tracking phone locations? Source the claim.

Believe it or not but the government wants to know what you are up to. Corporations just want to sell you shit.

So you don't have a problem with an entity invading your privacy or collecting personal data in itself. Your only issue is with potential motives. Got it.

"Hey, I don't care if the owner of the motel has a hidden camera behind the mirror on the dresser. As long as he's making a buck by selling the film of my GF and me banging to some internet site and not giving it to the government."

Heh, I don't think we need to bring the mark of the beast into this topic. What I'm saying is that I value my privacy more than the average person does. I find the current state of snooping by both the government and major corporations to be unreasonable. There is also a reason to believe that the very nature of our technology is fundamentally changing the way we think. I find this 5 minute clip both fascinating and frightening, if you get the time check it out.

Yeah that major change that's happening as we virtualize our lives, that's very weird and I don't really like it. I'll check out the clip.

Back