GOP bill to end student loan forgiveness for public service

There never should have been college loan forgiveness. Your asking for the rest of the country to pay your college debt. Your not owed that, and you assumed later administrations would continue this practice.
Question; do you want only incompetent people working for your government and teaching the children of our society. Trust me I could make much more in the private sector but the benefits of working here such as health care and a pension keep me here investing my time and knowledge for the public.

Don't take out a loan you can't fully pay back.

That's the way the rest of the world works. Welcome to adulthood.

/thread
Flipside is the far right seem to be trying to push it all on the borrower and not the wreckless greedy lenders
Maybe if the loan companies were forced to eat the loss they wouldnt be as keen to back a loan for a person wanting a degree in post modern feminst 1960s poetry etc

GOP doesn't care about this program since they send all their kids to private school. Pretty dumb to eliminate this program.

that's pretty cruel to fuck over americorps and peacecorps workers along with plenty of other people who work in the public domain

60k loan and you make 30k and you can't pay that off? Should be able to pay that off in 2 years but let's say you spend half of that, you can still pay it off in 4 years.

Yeah, what's wrong with those greedy teachers? Everyone should be able to put 100% of their gross income toward paying off debt, or at least 50%.

60k loan and you make 30k and you can't pay that off? Should be able to pay that off in 2 years but let's say you spend half of that, you can still pay it off in 4 years. The problem is teachers/advisors telling you to save only 10%. I laughed so hard when I first heard of that.

As for buying a house, how is 60k extra in your bank account help you buy a house? It shouldn't take you 10 years to save up 60k on a 30k salary. My friend plans to save up 40k in a year with NO DEGREE so he can move abroad for a few years. He plans to work 2 jobs and still wanted to goto school to learn the language. My other friend works 1 full time job and 2 or 3 part time. It is doable to make that much money WITHOUT a degree. You just have to work much harder and live more frugal. How about you cut your spending and work part time as a sub or something else. When there's a will, there's a way. Tell us how you spend your money and we will tell you how you can cut down and save.

I know too many graduates who pay their minimum and spend all their money on luxury and parties knowing/thinking it will go away. I'm glad these people are getting screwed. This program reminds me of that one guy who used his financial aid money on a luxurious Thai vacation. I know many students who use their financial aid money to buy cars and stuff. I'm still driving a 2000 honda civic.

Basically, I have no sympathy for students who are in loan/debt but can't pay it off. I just don't understand. Many many people with no degrees are able to support a family. Single parents with no degree or even know English is able to support herself and her 5 kids. So.....
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

They are not proposing to take it away from people already in the program. They just want to do away with it for future students. It certainly needs to be changed from what it is now.

Then I mis-read. I thought one article specifically said that, as of now, the bill contained no grandfather clause.

Regardless, that only turns this bill from a complete abortion of an idea, to just a really terrible idea.

In a free market based student loan system, the prototype 2.5 GPA liberal arts major at a state school would never get into tens of thousands of dollars of unpayable debt.

No one in their right mind would loan $80,000 to an 18 year old 2.5 GPA liberal arts major at a state school. They know they wouldn't get paid back.

The student loan system is just full of artificial market distortions that hurt everyone, the students included.

Higher education should be accessible to everyone that wants to go that way with their life and students shouldn't be taxed on future earnings.

Education is quite literally the #1 determinant of how prosperous a society is. Gop are all about growing the economy so why are people like you so against investing in public education??? It's contrary to everything we know.
Why isn't there a national online free public university with every major that takes everyone? It would cost pennies on the dollar.

Why isn't there a national online free public university with every major that takes everyone? It would cost pennies on the dollar.
You ever taken a free online class?

That's a good way to ensure only wealthy kids receive a college education. Clever.

Who needs personal accountability if the gov can help me out.

Who needs doctors, teachers, and engineers in 2017? Sounds like Commie zhit to me.

A caste system of landed aristocracy that suppressed education among the populace worked out so well for the Confederacy.....

Meh, I’m using this program to wipe out debt. However I only have about $29k from undergrad and grad school (Healthcare MBA), which I flipped into a six-figure fed government job within 3 years of graduating. Not a lot of student debt when compared to others, but will be nice to get it off the books all the same.

Yah, I don’t know what to tell people that went into big time debt for degrees that don’t typically translate into decent paying jobs. It’s just some shit that kids do though, and the system has made it easy.

The lenders used to try and give me wayyyy more than i needed...sometimes they automatically just deposited tens of $thousands more than I had requested and I’d have to go through the trouble of returning. Now I realize I was kind of an idiot, I should have been putting in down payments on a few houses and renting them out...then I coulda wiped away the debt in 10 years with this program. Fuck.

Last edited:
60k loan and you make 30k and you can't pay that off? Should be able to pay that off in 2 years

Pay that off in two years? So what would you do about food, rent, car, and other expenses?

Is this person living in a homeless shelter to pay off that loan in your retard hypothetical?

Pay that off in two years? So what would you do about food, rent, car, and other expenses?

Is this person living in a homeless shelter to pay off that loan in your retard hypothetical?

lol at paying EVERY single cent to a student loan

Back