GOP bill to end student loan forgiveness for public service

60k loan and you make 30k and you can't pay that off? Should be able to pay that off in 2 years but let's say you spend half of that, you can still pay it off in 4 years. The problem is teachers/advisors telling you to save only 10%. I laughed so hard when I first heard of that.

As for buying a house, how is 60k extra in your bank account help you buy a house? It shouldn't take you 10 years to save up 60k on a 30k salary. My friend plans to save up 40k in a year with NO DEGREE so he can move abroad for a few years. He plans to work 2 jobs and still wanted to goto school to learn the language. My other friend works 1 full time job and 2 or 3 part time. It is doable to make that much money WITHOUT a degree. You just have to work much harder and live more frugal. How about you cut your spending and work part time as a sub or something else. When there's a will, there's a way. Tell us how you spend your money and we will tell you how you can cut down and save.

I know too many graduates who pay their minimum and spend all their money on luxury and parties knowing/thinking it will go away. I'm glad these people are getting screwed. This program reminds me of that one guy who used his financial aid money on a luxurious Thai vacation. I know many students who use their financial aid money to buy cars and stuff. I'm still driving a 2000 honda civic.

Basically, I have no sympathy for students who are in loan/debt but can't pay it off. I just don't understand. Many many people with no degrees are able to support a family. Single parents with no degree or even know English is able to support herself and her 5 kids. So.....
giphy.gif

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read. EVER

Pay that off in two years? So what would you do about food, rent, car, and other expenses?

Is this person living in a homeless shelter to pay off that loan in your retard hypothetical?
That's why I want to know his expenses.

He is not the only one in this boat. All my friends paid off their debts in a few years. Only ones who still haven't paid it off are the party goers who waste their money. The ones who wanted to pay off their debts, did so in a few years. And this is in CA, most expensive place in US.

Even if my math is off, it should not take more than 10 years to pay it off. Let's say he saves up 60k in 10 years. Houses in Wisconsin is around 200k. It would take him over 33 years to buy that house. On top of the original 10 to pay off his debt. That's over 40 years to buy a 200k house and by that time it would be unaffordable for him because that same 200k house now cost 300-400k. If he can't pay 60 in 10, he can't pay 200 in 30. So even if that GOP bill doesn't pass, he still can't afford a house in Wisconsin with that pay.

Read the rest of my OP, there are other ways to make extra money. There are ways to make it work.

lol at paying EVERY single cent to a student loan

If youre not willing to live in a homeless shelter and pay every cent back to your loan for a few years to get it paid off you obviously dont deserve to go to college you peasant.

He is not the only one in this boat. All my friends paid off their debts in a few years. Only ones who still haven't paid it off are the party goers who waste their money. The ones who wanted to pay off their debts, did so in a few years. And this is in CA, most expensive place in US.

Even if my math is off, it should not take more than 10 years to pay it off. Let's say he saves up 60k in 10 years. Houses in Wisconsin is around 200k. It would take him over 33 years to buy that house. On top of the original 10 to pay off his debt. That's over 40 years to buy a 200k house and by that time it would be unaffordable for him because that same 200k house now cost 300-400k. If he can't pay 60 in 10, he can't pay 200 in 30. So even if that GOP bill doesn't pass, he still can't afford a house in Wisconsin with that pay.

Read the rest of my OP, there are other ways to make extra money. There are ways to make it work.

You have absolutely no money

Extra income?
kp0wtJ.gif

Like how? Becoming a prostitute on the corner?

Or you could be like every other first-world nation that realizes society is better with a plethora of educated professionals and fund college through taxes and let all who have the ability attend. That would be too meritocratic for Murkans though. They yearn for the glory days of the landed aristocracy.

Question; do you want only incompetent people working for your government and teaching the children of our society. Trust me I could make much more in the private sector but the benefits of working here such as health care and a pension keep me here investing my time and knowledge for the public.
I don't think we can do much worse than what we already have.

Most Americans do not need a college education as well.

Maybe 40% of Americans really gain something out of higher education, and yet 90% are investing incredible money for that education.

But it is a way to inflict a sense of status on people and raise a veneer of education for financial purpose.

Exactly.

Student loans should ideally not be given out to underachievers or anyone majoring in crap like women's studies.

I don't think we can do much worse than what we already have.
In terms of teachers? You'd be surprised. 50% of people who take Florida's Math 6-12 certification exam fail the first time they take it. Some people never manage to pass it. Encouraging the people who actually know the subjects they teach to pursue other careers is an excellent way of opening doors for people who can't even currently get past a standardized test.

In terms of teachers? You'd be surprised. 50% of people who take Florida's Math 6-12 certification exam fail the first time they take it. Some people never manage to pass it. Encouraging the people who actually know the subjects they teach to pursue other careers is an excellent way of opening doors for people who can't even currently get past a standardized test.
Teachers at private schools, for instance, don't necessarily need a teaching certificate.

What the program needs is revamping not done away with.

To get forgiveness you should be required to sign a contract and go where you are needed much like the miltary.
I've been an advocate of a program like this in the health care sector for a while. Go be a doctor in Bumfuck, West Virginia for a length of time and get X amount of student loans forgiven. It's a little inconvenient, but that's what being young is about, taking some inconvenience for the possibility of growth.

Exactly.

Student loans should ideally not be given out to underachievers or anyone majoring in crap like women's studies.

Women's Studies and other humanities subjects can teach us great things about world's of thought rarely explored.

That a small portion of the theory is used for ridiculous or political aims should not inhibit the study of gender.

Overall though, I think we share most of the common ground.

Is it about "underachievers" though? Most people are just mentally geared to study or do one thing or another.

For the 50-60% of people who do not think in an academic or pragmatic way suited for business or further study, we should provide an education geared towards doing something real and practical in the modern society. Right?

Is it about "underachievers" though? Most people are just mentally geared to study or do one thing or another.

For the 50-60% of people who do not think in an academic or pragmatic way suited for business or further study, we should provide an education geared towards doing something real and practical in the modern society. Right?

I already addressed that; some people are just geared toward manual labor, yes. Others in vocational school are underachievers who will end up as janitors, mall cops, and tow truck drivers. Duping them into going to university is a cruel exercise for all involved.

Again, vocational high schools and colleges are needed, and the stigma against them has to go.

I already addressed that; some people are just geared toward manual labor, yes. Others in vocational school are underachievers who will end up as janitors, mall cops, and tow truck drivers. Duping them into going to university is a cruel exercise for all involved.

Again, vocational high schools and colleges are needed, and the stigma against them has to go.

Sure, geared towards manual labor, a trade job, or an organizational and accusations style of job.

And robots are rapidly replacing all of them.

Accountants will be purged in the next 25 years.

What will we do? What should we do? We have to give humanity something to achieve, especially since American society has been building up the idea that "what you do and what you earn is who you are."

I mean... I'm a professor, underachiever or not, as good as my theories may be, or as deep as my thoughts may go... if we keep going this route, there will be a machine that can qualify and quantify the answers better than I can, than anyone can.

What then? We "can" make AI that can outperform humanity in almost every way imaginable.

Should we? There are so many reasons we probably should not, but we will, but we will.

Sure, geared towards manual labor, a trade job, or an organizational and accusations style of job.

And robots are rapidly replacing all of them.

Accountants will be purged in the next 25 years.

What will we do? What should we do? We have to give humanity something to achieve, especially since American society has been building up the idea that "what you do and what you earn is who you are."

Mass reduction in population.

Automation in industry always brings recession/depression because people are put out of work, among other factors.

Eventually, we'll head toward a system of living in which the poor and dumb are scarcely needed.

That's where eugenics comes into play. Eugenics never went away; it's been lurking in the shadows after WWII under the guise of other research, especially the Human Genome Project. People are having fewer children already anyway, and imported hordes (meant to destroy the dominant culture) will soon enough arrive at the same point. At that point they become expendable. Meanwhile, the (((oligarchs))) move forward with their idea of the master race, but through designer babies.

Sad stuff, the future.

I couldn't even hang in this thread beyond page 1; the right wing retards who just blindly go along with everything the gop does is maddening.

Mass reduction in population.

Automation in industry always brings recession/depression because people are put out of work, among other factors.

Eventually, we'll head toward a system of living in which the poor and dumb are scarcely needed.

That's where eugenics comes into play. Eugenics never went away; it's been lurking in the shadows after WWII under the guise of other research, especially the Human Genome Project. People are having fewer children already anyway, and imported hordes (meant to destroy the dominant culture) will soon enough arrive at the same point. At that point they become expendable. Meanwhile, the (((oligarchs))) move forward with their idea of the master race, but through designer babies.

Sad stuff, the future.

If the dumb and poor have no worth in that society, what worth do the rich and intelligent have?

That the rich and intelligent have more schemes and resources? I kind of see this in a lot of modern thinking as well, but it should not be.

Back