Got my ass kicked in Muay Thai today

Sam Samerson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing Muay thai a couple times a week for a little over half a year now. I just started sparring yesterday and i got my ass kicked. The first guy I sparred with was one of the instructors there. He is a professional with a fight coming up in a couple weeks. I could barely hit him without sustaining some kind of vicious counter and i was really pathetic with my defense. I found it incredibly difficult to defend such a wide range of attacks. I kept flinching and never seemed ready. I almost got my head taken off a few times.

Anyway I kind of felt like the instructor called me out a little bit. He came right up to me and asked if i wanted to go. Then he really didnt seem to go easy. The next couple guys I sparred with were much more experienced than I was and much bigger. I'm a small guy at 5'8 120 lbs and i boxed a guy that was like 6'3 and 6'1 or so. I still had a horrible time defending against them. I did finally kick this one kids ass who was about my size. He was not much of an athlete though so i didn't feel very proud of myself.

This troubles me a little bit. I could of sworn i was doing well. The two tall guys that kicked my ass I thought weren't very good. In drills I always thought I was way faster, hit way harder for my size and had way better technique. It seems though once you start sparring its a completely different world. I'm not used to getting hit. I flinch up a lot when shit is coming at me. I'm not trying to be the best muay thai figher or really go anywhere with it so I'm gonna keep doing it but Am I fucked as far as sparring goes? I found this to be kind of a humbling experience.

You have to be patient. Doing drills is important but sparring/fighting is a differnt story.

moral of the story: always fight people who are less athletic and weak then you

Why are you sparring experienced guys that much bigger than you...you're being setup fo failure.

Sparring takes getting used to. If you're bothered by the amount of damage you're getting ask them to go easier on you next time (which they should be doing anyway due to the size difference).

Well, look at it this way. Now you know what it is like to get hit. It will toughen you up more. Remember, you only get better by training with people that are better than you. Suck it up and keep working at it! Train your favorite combo, and work from that. Do not give up on us now!

I think thats how it is for everyone who first start sparring you just got to spar more then you will eventually get better

This troubles me a little bit. I could of sworn i was doing well. The two tall guys that kicked my ass I thought weren't very good. In drills I always thought I was way faster, hit way harder for my size and had way better technique. It seems though once you start sparring its a completely different world. I'm not used to getting hit. I flinch up a lot when shit is coming at me. I'm not trying to be the best muay thai figher or really go anywhere with it so I'm gonna keep doing it but Am I fucked as far as sparring goes? I found this to be kind of a humbling experience.

Your falling victim to the drills + no sparring = your good dilemma.

Drills and training only go so far. Just because it's Muay Thai, doesn't mean it won't fail hard like the TMA's. If you don't spar, your not going to get past anyone's who's brawled on the street so to speak. I can't believe you've been training six months and haven't sparred once. Seems like a waste of time.

I think the instructor wants to toughen you up or test you. The better the competition you spar, the more quickly you will improve.

I'm assuming you've been a good, respectful student. If you've pissed off your instructor, then he may have viewed that as payback to teach you some humility and discipline.

Anyhow, keep your head up.

(Figuratively, that is.) I actually advise you to keep your chin down and hands up.

You got owned because you forgot to apply the Golden Rule in martial arts: on your first day, you must challenge the first perons you see to a kumite. If you win, you can stay and are repected. If you lose you leave in shame.

If you skipped that step altogether, then they have every right to string you along to make you think you are a member of the gym, when in reality they are using you as a permanent punching bag.

It's true.

Well, look at it this way. Now you know what it is like to get hit. It will toughen you up more. Remember, you only get better by training with people that are better than you. Suck it up and keep working at it! Train your favorite combo, and work from that. Do not give up on us now!

I agree 100%. The first time sparring is always an eye opener. Ask for a critique from the person you sparred with and have someone (preferably the instructor) watch you spar and give you advice. You will get better and be able to laugh about it later.

dude this is only good. first time training for me i had to spar 3 minutes with A class fighter..he kicked my ass for 3 minutes.

You got owned because you forgot to apply the Golden Rule in martial arts: on your first day, you must challenge the first perons you see to a kumite. If you win, you can stay and are repected. If you lose you leave in shame.

It's true.

I remember when we were kids we organized kumites in the back yard. I submitted my friend using the boston crab, and neck crank. I also remembered being kicked in the stomach, and couldn't get up for 10 minutes :D.

Good advice so far. You should post this in the Stand up forum, though.

First, as relative newbie, you should not be sparring someone getting ready for a fight. That doesn't help anyone. It doesn't sound like your trainers are very smart or good, but I am basing this only on this situation.

Second, don't get too discouraged. Not very many people without a background in fighting (street or some other sparring) do well their first time sparring.

Good advice so far. You should post this in the Stand up forum, though.

First, as relative newbie, you should not be sparring someone getting ready for a fight. That doesn't help anyone. It doesn't sound like your trainers are very smart or good, but I am basing this only on this situation.

Second, don't get too discouraged. Not very many people without a background in fighting (street or some other sparring) do well their first time sparring.

Diaz:
Agreed on all points.

TS:
I spar my instructor who's pro and won this title and that.. yada yada.

Trained with him for years, and he still goes easy on me (sometimes), though not as easy. When I make a stupid mistake, he makes me pay for it, but he doesn't shit kick me just because he can.

Do any of the guys take you aside after the round/session and give you pointers, or tell you what you did well? Getting your ass handed to you is ok if you learn from it.

Pads dont hit back.

Keep at it, just concentrate on what you have been drilling and dont be afraid to get hit. Easier said than done, I know, but just keep in mind they probably arent going to try to beat the fuck out of you in sparring, especially if you havent been doing it, or they shouldnt anyhow....

Like everybody's saying here, nobody is a dynamo or a phenom when they first start sparring. There's a reason that this sport takes time to develop. I mean, hell, there are tons of higher level MMA fighters today who don't look that comfortable standing. The familiarity and comfortability come with sparring session after sparring session. Don't let it discourage you in any way. You're a smaller guy, so chances are it's going to be a trial.

I've been doing Muay thai a couple times a week for a little over half a year now. I just started sparring yesterday and i got my ass kicked. The first guy I sparred with was one of the instructors there. He is a professional with a fight coming up in a couple weeks. I could barely hit him without sustaining some kind of vicious counter and i was really pathetic with my defense. I found it incredibly difficult to defend such a wide range of attacks. I kept flinching and never seemed ready. I almost got my head taken off a few times.

Anyway I kind of felt like the instructor called me out a little bit. He came right up to me and asked if i wanted to go. Then he really didnt seem to go easy. The next couple guys I sparred with were much more experienced than I was and much bigger. I'm a small guy at 5'8 120 lbs and i boxed a guy that was like 6'3 and 6'1 or so. I still had a horrible time defending against them. I did finally kick this one kids ass who was about my size. He was not much of an athlete though so i didn't feel very proud of myself.

I think this is everyone in the world's experience... I think the humbling is good, because then you realize with some people there is no amount of aggression and anger or frustration you can use to beat them. All you can do is get better. Keep sparring it will get better. And even the ass woopings start to get fun when you know no one is trying to hurt you.

Well now you know for a fact Muay Thai works. Find some consolation in the fact that as swift as these other guys are... that could be you in a few years if u stick with it.

Don't worry about it, just keep showing up and do your best everytime.... eventually you'll get better. Kicking and punching bags, mitts or someone that's not hitting back is easy and the first time you get a moving target in front of you is a very humbling experience.... also, the shock of getting hit hard is something you get used to... eventually, you'll see the punches coming instead of just feeling the pain.

I got my ass kicked the first few times I sparred, no too long ago, and it was very discouraging. Now, I'm doing much better and I hold my own again the same guys that used to kick my ass just like that. Hang in there and keep training and sparring, it'll get much better.

Back