Got my ass kicked in Muay Thai today

If you dominate your partners the first time you are sparring, then its bad news; you are probably training with a bunch of lame ducks and will need new partners to if you want to get better.

If its not tough, you won't get better. Progress comes quicker in adversity.

Some people aren't cut out for Muay Thai. You may be one of them. Try a couple more times and if you keep getting beaten....give up before you seriously get hurt.

bersides a couple of these patronizing dbags, this was a quality thread - its nice to see normal positive people around here - seriously

It takes time to get good at sparring, the first person I ever sparred was Lodune Sincaid, just boxing gloves and shin guards and that was not a fun experience being that he is about 5'10" and 215lbs, and I am 5'6" 160. I know I got my ass kicked, but it woke me up and gave me a lot of experience because he taught me a lot afterwards.I could only get in a leg kick now and then and I hit him with I think 1 uppercut/ hook combo.

that may have been a sharp test to see if you have heart and are worth the effort to train, sounds like you passed dont dwell

You might wanna pack a little muscle on that frame. 120 at 5'8 seems very skinny, even for muay thai fighters. i'm 5'8 and weigh between 155-160

I'm a wrestler and I'm 5'9'' 185 and cut to 170 (8% body fat)

So yeah... maybe hit the weights

dont worry, as bad as a whooping you took, just think how much worse it would have been in any other country than the US, where the Muay Thai is actually good.

That's why you should start sparring from day 1.. Why wait for half a year? You can only learn MT by 'fighting' MT.
Sparring doesn't mean you kick the sh!t out of eachother. You spar 'with' eachother not 'against' eachother.

I know how you feel. I'm 5'3", 118 pounds, so when I'm rolling and sparring with the guys, I'm always at a height/weight disadvantage. The only difference is I hold my own against a majority of the guys!

I'm hoping to have a fight coming up in August, just got all my paperwork cleared and got approved by the AZ state boxing commission!

WAR LIL' DEMON!!!! :icon_twis

I remember the first time I sparred, within 2 minutes I had my contact lenses fly off :)
Sparring is just very different from drilling; drills are great, you get things in your system through repetition - but you also know EXACTLY what's coming. And your partner in drilling is usually not trying to catch you flat-footed. In sparring you will pay for poor movement and distance, telegraphing your shots - which are not that obvious through drills.
Anyways, keep sparring, and also never hesitate to tell your partner to take the intensity down a notch. If you get all tense you won't learn anything, you will do the same thing over and over again and be afraid to try new things. And don't try to hurt people, try to be smooth, in balance and with good distance.
And... wait for the next big transition, when you think you are all ready because you are an ace in sparring, and step in the ring for a smoker and gas out after 2 minutes because of the excitement :)

That's why you should start sparring from day 1.. Why wait for half a year? You can only learn MT by 'fighting' MT.
Sparring doesn't mean you kick the sh!t out of eachother. You spar 'with' eachother not 'against' eachother.

Great way to put it.
Sparring is supposed to help develop both participants. If the disparity in skill level is considerable the better fighter usually works their weakness.
For example, when used to do Rondorri (Judo for sparring throws) the taller heavyweight BB's i'd train with would mostly work their hip throws as opposed to foot sweeps. Why? cuz foot sweeps tended to b the taller Judokka's bread and butter, and they redy knew they could own me withem.

dont worry, as bad as a whooping you took, just think how much worse it would have been in any other country than the US, where the Muay Thai is actually good.

so good that the uk has had more world champs than the us in fact the first non thai world champ

I've been doing Muay thai a couple times a week for a little over half a year now. I just started sparring yesterday and i got my ass kicked. The first guy I sparred with was one of the instructors there. He is a professional with a fight coming up in a couple weeks. I could barely hit him without sustaining some kind of vicious counter and i was really pathetic with my defense. I found it incredibly difficult to defend such a wide range of attacks. I kept flinching and never seemed ready. I almost got my head taken off a few times.

Anyway I kind of felt like the instructor called me out a little bit. He came right up to me and asked if i wanted to go. Then he really didnt seem to go easy. The next couple guys I sparred with were much more experienced than I was and much bigger. I'm a small guy at 5'8 120 lbs and i boxed a guy that was like 6'3 and 6'1 or so. I still had a horrible time defending against them. I did finally kick this one kids ass who was about my size. He was not much of an athlete though so i didn't feel very proud of myself.

This troubles me a little bit. I could of sworn i was doing well. The two tall guys that kicked my ass I thought weren't very good. In drills I always thought I was way faster, hit way harder for my size and had way better technique. It seems though once you start sparring its a completely different world. I'm not used to getting hit. I flinch up a lot when shit is coming at me. I'm not trying to be the best muay thai figher or really go anywhere with it so I'm gonna keep doing it but Am I fucked as far as sparring goes? I found this to be kind of a humbling experience.

Sounds like a good time to reassess your goals.

You may want to take up baking and whatnot.

I've been doing Muay thai a couple times a week for a little over half a year now. I just started sparring yesterday and i got my ass kicked. The first guy I sparred with was one of the instructors there. He is a professional with a fight coming up in a couple weeks. I could barely hit him without sustaining some kind of vicious counter and i was really pathetic with my defense. I found it incredibly difficult to defend such a wide range of attacks. I kept flinching and never seemed ready. I almost got my head taken off a few times.

Anyway I kind of felt like the instructor called me out a little bit. He came right up to me and asked if i wanted to go. Then he really didnt seem to go easy. The next couple guys I sparred with were much more experienced than I was and much bigger. I'm a small guy at 5'8 120 lbs and i boxed a guy that was like 6'3 and 6'1 or so. I still had a horrible time defending against them. I did finally kick this one kids ass who was about my size. He was not much of an athlete though so i didn't feel very proud of myself.

This troubles me a little bit. I could of sworn i was doing well. The two tall guys that kicked my ass I thought weren't very good. In drills I always thought I was way faster, hit way harder for my size and had way better technique. It seems though once you start sparring its a completely different world. I'm not used to getting hit. I flinch up a lot when shit is coming at me. I'm not trying to be the best muay thai figher or really go anywhere with it so I'm gonna keep doing it but Am I fucked as far as sparring goes? I found this to be kind of a humbling experience.

Take them down and submit them. It's a mma fight now.

switch gyms. Not saying my gym is the epitome of what every gym should be, but rule of thumb is, you should neevr sparr with someone that is significantly worse or better than you. If you want to get better sparr with someone of the same skill assett or a little better. That guys wasted your time and his time. He didnt get any better and neither did you from that expirience. He was obviously on a power trip. Some guys do that at my gym to, roll with guys who have been there for lik 2 months so they can just roll through them and feel good about themselves. Sometimes you will have to go agaisnt someone who is better than you - yes - but then there's the obvious where you shouldnt roll with a guy who is 2-3 levels below you. Thats just ignorance.

The only time that should happen is if they do only go 50-75%. Just to show you techniques and that you dont create bad habbits. You will create bad habbits if you take the easy route and roll/spar with someone that is 2 levels below you...or a signifcant amount anyway

Hows your blocking and sliding? I teach my short friends how to fight tall fukrs, my being 6'4". If you can pop a shot from in the pocket with head fully guarded if only for a second, you can immediately pivot to the guy's left side, get a knee in or haymaker, safer bet would be to get under & trap his left arm by grabbing around the front his neck with your own left while its under his and your right arm locking the hold in place. From there you can just hold him and knee the fucc out of his left side, and hard.

Sounds like a good time to reassess your goals.

You may want to take up baking and whatnot.

To TS:
Don't listen to this idiots. Just from their comment I can assessed they've never trained in their life.

To Idiot above:
He's a beginner douche, everyone gets their asses kick in the beginning that's the only way to learn. Only losers would reassessed their goals when the fail the first time.

Back