Got my BB

Congratulations on the promotion! Thank you for your helpful contributions over the years.

Congratulations brother! That is awesome news.

My advice would be to make sure you get your IBJJF card updated to black belt ASAP. For the $30-$40 that takes it's worth it.

Even if you don't think you'll need it down the line, just getting that card will establish your date of promotion. Circumstances might change six years from now, and it's worth getting the card now so that you don't get into a situation where your true promotion date isn't recognized so you don't have the right number of degrees to do the things you need to do.

Does my coach have to be an IBJJF guy for that? I'm not sure he is.

Does my coach have to be an IBJJF guy for that? I'm not sure he is.

The guy who signs your paperwork must be 2nd or 3rd degree registered with the IBJJF. I believe the 2nd vs 3rd thing comes down to whether or not you were registered at brown belt. If you were registered as a brown belt, a 2nd degree can sign. If you are coming in fresh at black, you are considered provisional and it takes a 3rd degree to get your card.

Whoever signs your paperwork does not have to be the same person who promoted you directly. I think technically it is supposed to be the same person, but in practice a lot of people get someone else to sign if their immediate instructor is not registered with IBJJF at the appropriate level.

I'd ask your instructor and see what his situation his. If he is not able to do it, perhaps his instructor could?

It's optional and a bit of a hassle so a lot of people just don't bother. But from experience now I have run into zero cases where someone registered and told me five years later he wishes he had that $30 back. What I have run into at least a half dozen times by now is someone who did not register upon promotion and five years later really regrets not doing so because he can't sign for his students properly in the IBJJF.

The guy who signs your paperwork must be 2nd or 3rd degree registered with the IBJJF. I believe the 2nd vs 3rd thing comes down to whether or not you were registered at brown belt. If you were registered as a brown belt, a 2nd degree can sign. If you are coming in fresh at black, you are considered provisional and it takes a 3rd degree to get your card.

Whoever signs your paperwork does not have to be the same person who promoted you directly. I think technically it is supposed to be the same person, but in practice a lot of people get someone else to sign if their immediate instructor is not registered with IBJJF at the appropriate level.

I'd ask your instructor and see what his situation his. If he is not able to do it, perhaps his instructor could?

It's optional and a bit of a hassle so a lot of people just don't bother. But from experience now I have run into zero cases where someone registered and told me five years later he wishes he had that $30 back. What I have run into at least a half dozen times by now is someone who did not register upon promotion and five years later really regrets not doing so because he can't sign for his students properly in the IBJJF.

It might not be a bad idea, I'm sure his instructor (Draculino) could sign for it. I have so little interest in the IBJJF but as you say, you never know what the future holds.

Well done.. I'm sure it's super deserved..

I'm not a really popular user around here, but nonetheless I feel a special bond with this virtual place and his regular contributors, so it kinda warm my heart to see progression and achievement by you guys.

It might not be a bad idea, I'm sure his instructor (Draculino) could sign for it. I have so little interest in the IBJJF but as you say, you never know what the future holds.

Drac should be able to sign for you if your instructor can't.

It's funny because it doesn't really matter much as far as competing in IBJJF yourself. If you ever do decide to compete at black belt, you can just get your signature and it's fine. There's no real reason to do it immediately in that case.

Where it comes into play is if down the line, you ever end up with any students who want to compete in the IBJJF. That is where it tends to bite people. Even if you personally are over that whole scene, it feels pretty bad if you have to deny your student that opportunity in some future situation.

I look at it as cheap insurance for the $30 or so it takes to renew (I think it's $40 if it's your first card). I also didn't take my own advice and probably lost a year or so of time for that reason. I figured that I probably wouldn't compete much at black belt and even if I did, it was just about guaranteed nobody would need my signature on anything.

Fast forward three years later. I compete 3-4x a year at black belt in the IBJJF personally, and there are probably a dozen or so people right now who would benefit from my signature. Things have a way of changing like that.

- Congratulations, Bro!
Would love to kiss your forehead(the one over your torso of course)!

Nice story and I liked what you said about small groups focused in drilling , wish some instructors could understand that,

Congratulations, my fren. Will you be filming those BJJ stand-up tapes now?

Nice story and I liked what you said about small groups focused in drilling , wish some instructors could understand that,

Honestly a lot of students don’t like it either. Because they are lazy retards; no need to sugar coat it. It’s ideal training to get together with some other higher belts and relentlessly work on positional/transitional problems. If you aren’t at a gym where you have students who are willing to do that, it’s a huge drawback.

Holy crap, what a journey! Congrats, well deserved.

Good Job Man.

If a person can even get their Blue Belt they are awesome in my opinion.

Congratulations great accomplishment to get a blackbelt from Busy

Congratulations, my fren. Will you be filming those BJJ stand-up tapes now?

It is on my list of things to do, I just have no time for anything. I'm also kicking around an idea for a short series on 'how to play a position', e.g. you're in mount so how do you go about attacking, what are the common reactions you can expect and what to do then, etc.

Congrats man!

Very hard earned. Much respect and very happy for you.

Back