Got to attend a Damian Maia seminar last night

The White Mamba

"Cold Stone Steve Austin" - Mike Goldberg
@Blue
Reaction score
These kind of things probably aren't a big deal around here but I thought this was kind of cool since I've been training for only about 6 months now (had my first tournament last month). Real nice guy, his flight got delayed 6 hours so the seminar started an hour late but he made up for the lost time by staying an extra hour.

Attachments

• Demian Maia.jpg
    Demian Maia.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 83
Damn Maia couldn't at least half smile in the picture??

Damn Maia couldn't at least half smile in the picture??
He was jet lagged and exhausted from his flight into Chicago being delayed an hour and a half. He did the seminar and then back on the plane basically.

He was jet lagged and exhausted from his flight into Chicago being delayed an hour and a half. He did the seminar and then back on the plane basically.

Did you attend last night as well?

what did he go over god id love to do a no gi class with him on his passing and half guard

Real nice guy, his flight got delayed 6 hours so the seminar started an hour late but he made up for the lost time by staying an extra hour.
That's very cool of him, props.

Did he cover a lot of wrestling stuff? I mean, the guy is a highly trained wrestler at this point in addition to being a world class bjj player.

more details as to what he went over. Would love to know

Did he cover a lot of wrestling stuff? I mean, the guy is a highly trained wrestler at this point in addition to being a world class bjj player.
We went over a takedown and the setup to it to start the seminar. After that we focused primarily on an armbar, kimura and north south choke starting from side control. I wish I could go into more detail but I've only been training for 6 months...lol

you really think so? maia gets alot of his singles takedowns by having crazy grip strength and high level bjj knowledge not from pure solid wrestling fundamentals the ways he does is takedowns and has success vs high level guys is due to years and years of training i love maia but idk if idwant takedown advice from him if i had the chance to get it from other ufc wrestlers

you really think so? maia gets alot of his singles takedowns by having crazy grip strength and high level bjj knowledge not from pure solid wrestling fundamentals the ways he does is takedowns and has success vs high level guys is due to years and years of training i love maia but idk if idwant takedown advice from him if i had the chance to get it from other ufc wrestlers
Absolutely, I really think so. Years ago, right around the time he dropped to WW, Maia decided he'd take his wrestling to the next level. He really put in the time and sought out the best training he could get. He did privates with Jake Herbert while spending a lot of time in Chicago at Overtime Wrestling Academy. He worked a lot with guys like Herbert, Sean Bormet, Kerry Boumans, and Im sure the other top guys in the area. He also spent a lot of time in NYC/NJ at Edge Wrestling working with guys like Frankie Edgar, Dave Esposito and Zach Esposito, as well as all the other world level guys that come through there. He also put in time with Tiago Camilo, an absolute beast judo guy. Maia specifically set out to become a wrestler. A guy with the grappling chops of Maia spends 5-6-7 years training wrestling at such a high level, Id say hes a damn good guy to learn wrestling from.

Back