Gouti was robbed

Unless it's a bodyslam, suplex or judo throw etc. TDs shouldn't be worth anything.

I thought it was the right decision, he couldn't even finish those takedowns, Sage was back against the fence landing strikes and Gouti was face down in his groin just eating shots. Pretty average fighter.

Bad decision in a way but Gouti absolutely threw that fight to garbage himself. Hugging and panic wrestling when the OPPONENT is rocked??

{<huh}

God damn awful. Both should have a loss on their record.

We had a similar decision against Jonny Hendricks for the same thing. I agreed with that decision and I agree with this one. Judges don't reward Cup Huffing anymore. Those days are gone forever (thank god). You gotta DO something with it for it to matter.

i had it 1-1 going into the 3rd.

i thought sage did enough to get the nod. close fight though

125 total strikes landed by Sage Northcutt in a three-round verdict against Thibault Gouti at lightweight. By comparison, Gouti landed just 30 total strikes. Northcutt notably outlanded his opponent 36 to 9 in round one and 61 to 6 in round three.

Sounds dominant to me...this isn't a wrestling match.

Another questionnable decision

Sage had some flashes and may lead on volume of strikes *(dunno if he actually does i haven't looked at the metrics but it looked like he did) but Gouti controlled most of the fight and landed the most significant strikes. The holding against the cage was annoying but heh. Sage was also rocked at least 2-3 times.

N
125 total strikes landed by Sage Northcutt in a three-round verdict against Thibault Gouti at lightweight. By comparison, Gouti landed just 30 total strikes. Northcutt notably outlanded his opponent 36 to 9 in round one and 61 to 6 in round three.

Dominant ? You're kidding right ? Most of those strikes were weak or elbows when Goutin was holding him against the cage.

Gouti landed the most devastating shots and controlled 90% of the fight. Yeah he didn't do shit with his TD but a TD is still a TD and octagon control is still octagon control which are both criterias when judging a MMA fight.

That you may think that Sage won due to volume of strikes...yeah ok i can live with that even if i dont agree. But dominant ? No just no. This fight is a perfect exemple of metrics not telling the whole story. Sage never dominated in that fight and came close to being finished at least 3 times. If Gouti had better fight IQ Sage would have been TKOed in the 1st.

I was watching on a french broadcast here and Patrick Coté simply couldn't believe that Sage won that fight. His co-host , JP Chartrand , couldn't believe it either.

And it's not because we have an agenda against Sage. It,s because it was a very questionable decision

Yeah he got robbed but that is the way it goes in prize fighting; the matches are set up by the match makers for a reason and that guy just didnt do quite enough to win against a guy like Sage; it's not fair, but it's the rules of the game.

I think it was a fair decision, holding some one while getting punches shouldn't win you rounds. It was close and uneventful but he did nothing with his offense on the ground/cage.

I have no idea why he didn't just keep in standing, looked like he could have easily won that way.

He should have kept it standing where he was putting in work, instead of taking and/or trying to take it to the ground, only to do nothing, and leave the chance open for the judges to rob him.

Sage got rocked at least three times. Gouti had the most effective striking and dominated the wrestling.

the last round every time he took him down he was getting elbows to the head and body, sage was more productive on the ground and on the feet, by normal MMA scoring, Gouti won, but by logical scoring, and the kind of scoring that should be in place, Sage won, I hope all judges score BS takedowns and wrestling this way

No. Sage won that fight. It was close, but Sage won by being way more active.

depends on if you consider casually laying on someone "effective grappling"

GSP's entire career says hi ...

Fight-metric stats are pretty terrible. Like I said before, their definition of "significant" needs to be examined. I'm sorry, but if you and I are in a fight, and I wing a hundred punches at you, but most of them are too light to do anything, and you, in return, only throw ten shots but almost put me out with them, you won. It doesn't matter that I out-threw you. My shots, Sage's shots - they were ineffective. When you add to that, the fact that Gouti was hauling him to the ground at will (thus scoring points for the effective grappling and octagon control criteria), there's no way you can say Sage won that fight.

It really says something when the biggest argument you hear for Sage winning is something along the lines of "Those takedowns don't mean S*&t bro! Gotta do something with it bro!" No one has mentioned anything Sage actually did to win the fight. They just try to somehow take away Gouti's dominant wrestling performance. I mean yeah, it was dumb of Gouti to not stay with strikes (where he was able to nearly put Sage away several times), but it doesn't change the fact that he controlled Sage pretty easily, while sage did almost nothing to win the fight.

Back