Governor Cuomo issuing pardons to all parolees to restore voting rights

zebby23

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good for Andrew Coumo!!

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Wednesday that he intends to restore voting rights to felons on parole, a move that could open the ballot box to more than 35,000 people.

Mr. Cuomo made the announcement at the National Action Network’s annual convention in New York City, where he was introduced by the group’s founder, the Rev. Al Sharpton. The governor said he had proposed legislation allowing parolees to vote, but that it had been rejected by the State Senate.

“I’m unwilling to take no for an answer,” Mr. Cuomo said. “I’m going to make it law by executive order,” he added, continuing, “With active intervention, we can bend the arc toward justice.”

Mr. Cuomo’s plan would bring New York in line with 18 other states, as well as Washington, D.C., that allow parolees to vote, according to the governor’s office. Fourteen states automatically restore felons’ rights when they are paroled; two never remove them in the first place; and two — Iowa and Virginia — also use executive orders to issue pardons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/nyregion/felons-pardon-voting-rights-cuomo.html

Cool. But this makes me wonder if he has the authority.
I’m unwilling to take no for an answer,” Mr. Cuomo said. “I’m going to make it law by executive order,” he added, continuing, “With active intervention, we can bend the arc toward justice.”

Gonna go with no on that

Makes sense imo unless you were guilty of acts directly against the US government or involved in some form of election rigging/tampering

35,000 more Democrat voters.

200w.webp

I'm neither for or against this really, but this is just smoke and mirrors to gain more Democratic voters, and it's naive to think otherwise. Honestly though I'd be surprised if 10% of those people even vote. The whole situation kind of reminds me of some Boss Tweed style shit :D

Last edited:
People are on parole for a reason. I'd rather they remain on parole while being allowed to vote. Is this EO going to expunge the totality of their parole? Wipe the conviction off their record?

I don't think we should disenfranchise felons but at the same time I don't really like the governor sidestepping the legislature

“Bend the arc towards justice”

That’s actually the opposite of justice...

Let me clarify that for those who don’t speak NY politician,

“I’m running for President so I’m pandering to everyone”

The New York Timesnotes that this doesn't expunge the pardoned felon's record, nor will it restore other rights that have been taken away due to felony imprisonment. Nor is he exactly pioneering new ground: 18 states and the District of Columbia allow parolees to vote.

I love it. This is a skillful use of the pardon. He sees his people disenfranchised, and acts within his power to correct it. The legislature made their own bed here when they deprived people of their rights for no good reason. Fix the law now, and restore the rights that never should have been taken in the first place.

Next up, inmates.

People are on parole for a reason. I'd rather they remain on parole while being allowed to vote. Is this EO going to expunge the totality of their parole? Wipe the conviction off their record?
No, just the right to vote and the parolees are going to be reviewed before getting the vote back, anyway all about politics, more Democratic votes.

I don't think we should disenfranchise felons but at the same time I don't really like the governor sidestepping the legislature
Why should people who commit felonies have any say in our process? Do you really want that?

Back