Gowdy to investigate white house security clearances

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apparently even conservative lawmakers are seeing this administration is a fucking garbage fire.

House Republicans raised questions Wednesday about the Trump administration's security clearance process and an oversight panel launched an investigation, as the controversy surrounding former aide Rob Porter started to eat into their confidence in President Donald Trump's White House. Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said his House Oversight Committee on Tuesday night kicked off an investigation into Trump’s employment of Porter — the White House staff secretary who resigned last week — and what White House officials knew about domestic abuse accusations against him.

“You can call it official. You can call it unofficial,” Gowdy said on CNN Wednesday morning. “I'm going to direct questions to the FBI that I expect them to answer. And if they don't answer them, then they're going to need to give me a really good reason.”

also apparently there is not extreme vetting for high level security clearances.

Asked about Gowdy's investigation into the Porter scandal Wednesday, Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said he had been informed of the probe and believes the White House has to improve its vetting system for employees. "They have work to do to improve their vetting system," Ryan told reporters on Wednesday.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/14/gowdy-cnn-407923

what a shitshow.

Its hard to know what to say at this point.
I would never have imagined he could be this incompetent.

I wonder if Donald plans on vetting immigrants as thoroughly as he vets his administration officials

36 seats have been flipped since Donny has been elected. Some in places that never vote democrat.
The right got the tax law passed to distribute money upward. Trump has served his purpose. In order to save their asses they are going to turn on him.

Gowdy seems to be trying to turn it around on to the "process" being at fault rather than Trump, McGahn, Kelly, Hagin knowing and not giving a shit until it leaked to the media.

Folks with protection orders against them don't get top secret clearance. Folks with very modest debts have real trouble - Kushner has hundreds of millions in debt. Kushner had to resubmit his filings 30+ times because he "left things off".

In the Porter case - who asked for the check to be re-opened after it was closed in July? Seems to me FBI denied him clearance and closed his case and then somebody from the WH requested a second look while at that very time the ex wives were being contacted to downplay the violence Porter perpetrated against them. Somebody at the WH was making an extra effort to get him clearance. Who was it?

Who knew what and when.

mr pointy head must have been a hall moniter at school, hes a natural at this "investigation" stuff

Gowdy seems to be trying to turn it around on to the "process" being at fault rather than Trump, McGahn, Kelly, Hagin knowing and not giving a shit until it leaked to the media.

Folks with protection orders against them don't get top secret clearance. Folks with very modest debts have real trouble - Kushner has hundreds of millions in debt. Kushner had to resubmit his filings 30+ times because he "left things off".

In the Porter case - who asked for the check to be re-opened after it was closed in July? Seems to me FBI denied him clearance and closed his case and then somebody from the WH requested a second look while at that very time the ex wives were being contacted to downplay the violence Porter perpetrated against them. Somebody at the WH was making an extra effort to get him clearance. Who was it?

Who knew what and when.
To me that is unacceptable.
In every job I've ever been in, I've been checked out more thoroughly.
And all my associations are above board

Gowdy is leaving politics, wants to get back to law. He's reportedly turned down federal judgeship offers from Trump - probably doesn't want to look like there was a quid pro quo between he and Trump given he was supposed to be leading oversight of Trump and has looked the other was after running non-stop investigations against Obama and Hillary.

Gowdy is leaving politics, wants to get back to law. He's reportedly turned down federal judgeship offers from Trump - probably doesn't want to look like there was a quid pro quo between he and Trump given he was supposed to be leading oversight of Trump and has looked the other was after running non-stop investigations against Obama and Hillary.
You know what we need, now that you've reminded me?
Another investigation of HRC.

Because why the fuck not waste more taxpayer money on a political witch hunt?

To me that is unacceptable.
In every job I've ever been in, I've been checked out more thoroughly.
And all my associations are above board
The President can ultimately give clearance to whomever he wants with a waiver - but Trump is denying knowing about the DV claims against Porter. So did he not have a waiver? Or were they using the open process of the checks to keep him available without telling Trump to get the waiver?

Jared Kushner STILL doesn't have a clearance!!!!! Ivanka still doesn't!!!! Something like 100 people in the administration are still operating under interim clearances but getting access to highly classified information. Interim means 2-3 months and limited access.

Where I work if you don't have a clearance you sit in a building on the other side of the base doing admin work until that comes in. It's unfucking believable that 1 year into an administration and they run like this. The most incompetent and insane administration in the history of the country.

I'm sure the Trumpets on this board will have some bullshit excuse for this. Something to the effect of "Obama, blah blah blah", "Hillary blah blah blah", and we might even get a "Deep State blah blah blah" if we are lucky

Apparently the best people for the job are having a harder time getting clearances than 18-year-old me had right out of high school. Granted, a not insignificant reason for that is because I didn't have any financial history to comb through, but it's still ridiculous. Especially after all the whinging about the treatment of classified information.

I wonder if Donald plans on vetting immigrants as thoroughly as he vets his administration officials

He already is, as evidenced by the amazing EXTREME vetting program he came up with during the "travel" ban.

But who we kidding here guys. The past 15 years the process to get a clearance is not that arduous (top secret, SCI etc). And it’s not always the FBI doing the investigation. It could be OPM or contracted out to Keypoint.

mr pointy head must have been a hall moniter at school, hes a natural at this "investigation" stuff

omg

Trey Gowdy as a hall monitor is the most revelatory analogy I've ever heard.

And Ted Cruz is weird guy in PE that takes his sweet ass time showering and then spends 30 minutes with his leg up on the bench lotioning his thighs and trying to make casual conversation with people trying to get dressed.

Who knew what and when.
Modest debt? No. I worked for a dude that filed bankruptcy, divorced his wife, after he got out of bankruptcy continued to rack up debt and still has and renews his TS clearance.

But as far as Kush is concerned the likelyhood of blackmail because of all the debt is high.

Back