Greatest boxer that never beat an all time great

Alcibiades007

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Which boxer ranks highest in the all time p4p echelon w/o ever defeating another all time great boxer? The Klitchko bros stand out in the HW division but what about other weight classes?

James toney ? ( Only big win against 40yrs Old roy) maybe in recent years chaves jr or kovalev but not realy conciders all time great

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers

Edit: I somehow forgot he beat Ken Norton and Jimmy Ellis (if you want to count him)

Last edited:
James toney ? ( Only big win against 40yrs Old roy) maybe in recent years chaves jr or kovalev but not realy conciders all time great
{<huh}

You must be thinking of someone besides Toney. Toney beat Holyfield and depending on your definition of great- Nunn, McCallum and Jirov.

prince naseem. never beat an all time great. hell, never even beat a great

Prince Naseem probably wasn't the greatest boxer that didn't defeat an all time great but he was very good and his only loss is to an all time great then he retired.

Yeah, Toney doesn't qualify as he won against Hollyfield. Naseem does but is he the greatest bellow the HW division?

Tyrell Biggs, Donovan Ruddock and Tony Tucker were solid Tyson victims
2 tiers bellow all time great imo. I'd say he qualifies, but I was more interested in the lower divisions tbh. How far can you get w/o proving yourself against another legend?

throw zárate and khaosai galaxy in there as well

You must be thinking of someone besides Toney. Toney beat Holyfield and depending on your definition of great- Nunn, McCallum and Jirov.

In that case I would have to correct my Mike Tyson pick. I thought he were talking about beating them in their greatness, because Holyfield was past it by the time Toney beat him, even though it was a brilliant performance by Toney nonetheless.

Tyson beat Larry Holmes.

In that case I would have to correct my Mike Tyson pick. I thought he were talking about beating them in their greatness, because Holyfield was past it by the time Toney beat him, even though it was a brilliant performance by Toney nonetheless.

Tyson beat Larry Holmes.
I actually think Spinks is the more underrated Tyson victory.

Holmes certainly gave Tyson a tougher fight than Spinks, who was intimidated and frozen as fuck. But then again you're right, as Spinks was closer to his prime than Larry.

That's why I think this talk about "ATG", distinction between good and great is nonsense is anyway. Often its the physical and mental state of the day that decides.

James Tillis gave Tyson a tougher fight than both of them. So did Buster Douglas.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the proper question would be beating an ATG in his prime and in your natural wiehgt class like some of you wonder. That's a good point.

How are we defining ATG here? Hamed had victories over Manuel Medina and Tom Johnson and those guys weren’t exactly bums. Neither was Kevin Kelley for that matter.

Holmes certainly gave Tyson a tougher fight than Spinks, who was intimidated and frozen as fuck. But then again you're right, as Spinks was closer to his prime than Larry.

That's why I think this talk about "ATG", distinction between good and great is nonsense is anyway. Often its the physical and mental state of the day that decides.

James Tillis gave Tyson a tougher fight than both of them. So did Buster Douglas.
Emanuel Augustus was a tougher fight for Floyd than Canelo.

Back