Greatest boxer that never beat an all time great

Interesting topic TS, so open to opinion.

I'd go for Nigel Benn, he beat The Blade and McClellan but were either classed as great? Barkley beat Thomas Hearns twice and McClellan was pure class (He would have been an all time great).

Interesting topic TS, so open to opinion.

I'd go for Nigel Benn, he beat The Blade and McClellan but were either classed as great? Barkley beat Thomas Hearns twice and McClellan was pure class (He would have been an all time great).
that fight robbed mcclellan of his chance to be great. if he gets through that fight okay, he’s likely one of the best fighters of the era. but you’re right, i wouldn’t say he did enough to be great

edit: nvm didn’t realize you said exactly that at the end of the post. ignore me

i remember arguing with @Seano about barkley’s status. i definitely overrated him. he’s got some good wins and a lot of bad losses. i stand by the fact that i think he was one of the better middleweights of that era but he’s probably at the bottom of the top ten.

Zab Judah ?
Multiple time champ in 2 different weightclass.

Fought a lots of greats
(Mayweather, Tzyu, Cotto)

Best win might be when he avenged is defeat Vs Cory Spinks.
(Mathysse is a good win too)

Andre Ward? Kov and Froch were probably best wims, yet I got him as one of the best p4p

that fight robbed mcclellan of his chance to be great. if he gets through that fight okay, he’s likely one of the best fighters of the era. but you’re right, i wouldn’t say he did enough to be great

edit: nvm didn’t realize you said exactly that at the end of the post. ignore me

I wasn't a big Benn fan. He lacked finesse but kept coming up with the goods. The ref should have stopped the fight in the first - Benn was through the ropes and fucked.
He came back though and I have to give him credit for that. I knew something was wrong from maybe 8 onwards. G McClellan kept blinking and dabbing his head with his glove.
It was devastating to watch it unfold.
It is such a tragedy. Same thing with Watson - he schooled Eubank but an uppercut from the gods ended him.

It's a harsh sport at times.

I wasn't a big Benn fan. He lacked finesse but kept coming up with the goods. The ref should have stopped the fight in the first - Benn was through the ropes and fucked.
He came back though and I have to give him credit for that. I knew something was wrong from maybe 8 onwards. G McClellan kept blinking and dabbing his head with his glove.
It was devastating to watch it unfold.
It is such a tragedy. Same thing with Watson - he schooled Eubank but an uppercut from the gods ended him.

It's a harsh sport at times.
yeah benn getting up on the apron and climbing back into the ring through the ropes might have been more of an improbable rise than fury vs. wilder. the tragic nature of the result really overshadows benn’s performance in that fight

a shame that mcclellan was robbed of a career and fans were robbed of a gerald mcclellan.

It has a lot to do with the popular perception of his weight class, but Finito Lopez might count. You could argue that some of his opposition were great in their own right, though.

Really interesting question. I'd say maybe Trinidad? (Not counting the DLH robbery).

Andre Ward? Kov and Froch were probably best wims, yet I got him as one of the best p4p

He also came to mind.

Really interesting question. I'd say maybe Trinidad? (Not counting the DLH robbery).

He also came to mind.

Whitaker obviously wasn't in his prime, but he was undoubtedly an all-time great.

Whitaker obviously wasn't in his prime, but he was undoubtedly an all-time great.
i think you could say the same about camacho. camacho didn’t wipe guys out every go but he has wins over really great opposition.

How about Vargas? How great is Vargas at 154? He had some good wins there.

edit- as an opponent for Tito, if that wasn't clear.

How about Vargas? How great is Vargas at 154? He had some good wins there.

edit- as an opponent for Tito, if that wasn't clear.
definitely very good. probably top 5 in the history of 154-pounders. beat quartey & winky

Dela Hoya fought everyone and came up short against every A level guy. Hoya is about as good as you get and be short.

Paulie I don't think beat anyone A level.

Juan Diaz was a B level champion.

Whitaker is his best win and that was very questionable.
does the name julio cesar chavez ring a bell? he wasn’t in form when they fought but i don’t believe that’s the question.

Back