Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Bret Hart or Chris Jericho?

Canadian GOAT?

• Total voters
Yeah of course to set up HHH, but Chris always entertained, even to this day at least for me more than Bret

I guess in many ways Chris is a lot of what I liked and preferred in Owen to Bret
It wasn't just being a transitional champ though, he was basically Stephanie's bitch leading up to WM.

Soon to be.
WWE-Wrestler-Jinder-Mahal.jpg
Jinder Mahal is from India.

yeah he only beat Austin and The Rock for it, no big deal, Jericho's reigns have been plenty good not to mention some of the best promos ever
This. Beating austin and rock in separate matches in the same night is goat like. Jericho is is the top 25 wrestlers of all time

Bret was by far the better wrestler, but Jericho is way more likeable and cuts better promos

Titles had been diluted by constant changes in the years prior, any one of Brett's WWF reigns was more prestigious

Yeah, Bret's 1 day reign in 1996 was legendary!

Bret was better probably. That said, his time at the top (1992-1997) was a pretty weak era in hindsight as far as credible champions go. Hogan, Savage, Warrior and Flair were gone/going. Undertaker was never really a constant title challenger. Foley, HHH, Austin, Rock were not top talents yet.

Bret's main rivals for the top spots were really Owen, Yoko, Sid, Vader, Backlund, Luger, Shawn, Goldust, Razor and Diesel. Jericho was up against far greater star power ie Austin, HHH, Rock, Cena, Edge, Batista, Shawn Michaels, Big Show, Benoit, Angle, Lesnar, Taker, Van Dam, Orton, Mysterio, Punk, Daniel Bryan etc etc.

A better comparison would be Bret Hart and Chris Benoit but ....yeah... <DisgustingHHH><{1-17}>

Oddly enough you always thought Jericho was a little undersized to be the main man........Bret never really had that problem despite being a similar size and wrestling giants like Yoko, Diesel, Vader and Sid.

Hart is a Canadian icon. Jericho is more accomplished championship / longevity-wise, but didn't have the impact on the profession that Hart did.
This. Jericho is basically the prototype for a good pro wrestler....good worker, good mic skills, good at keeping his gimmick fresh so it stays over, etc. But Hart was the face of pro wrestling his era, is more iconic, and had more influence on the direction the business would head, and how the product was received by the public.

Yeah, Bret's 1 day reign in 1996 was legendary!

Bret was better probably. That said, his time at the top (1992-1997) was a pretty weak era in hindsight as far as credible champions go. Hogan, Savage, Warrior and Flair were gone/going. Undertaker was never really a constant title challenger. Foley, HHH, Austin, Rock were not top talents yet.

Bret's main rivals for the top spots were really Owen, Yoko, Sid, Vader, Backlund, Luger, Shawn, Goldust, Razor and Diesel. Jericho was up against far greater star power ie Austin, HHH, Rock, Cena, Edge, Batista, Shawn Michaels, Big Show, Benoit, Angle, Lesnar, Taker, Van Dam, Orton, Mysterio, Punk, Daniel Bryan etc etc.

I consider both to be sort of off peak champions. Jericho didn't get the belt until 2001, which was the tail end of the attitude era, and I'd consider Bret's final reign to really be the start of it. It was a lot more crowded at the top during Jericho's peak, but a lot of the guys who got elevated to title contention then wouldn't have stood out during Bret's peak.

Guys like Edge, Benoit, Guerrero, Van Dam, Punk, Mysterio, Bryan and Hardy were mid career material up through the late 90s. The fact that they got world title reigns illustrates how the perception of the title changed during the attitude era. Maybe Bret's 97 title reign was the start of it, the hot potato title changes between lots of different guys with no clear alignment between the top guy and the champion. I'm not saying they weren't great, just that the actual title reign meant a lot more when Bret was at his peak.

I'd say Jericho...but then Bret would have a pussy fit and say fans are not allowed to judge the workers.

A better question - Who is the Greatest Wrestler EVER from Parts Unknown?

That place was a fucking gold mine of wrestling talent

A better question - Who is the Greatest Wrestler EVER from Parts Unknown?

That place was a fucking gold mine of wrestling talent

a list from 2014
  • The Masked Marvel
  • The Executioners (Killer Kowalski, Big John Studd, Nikolai Volkoff)
  • The Missing Link
  • The Moondogs (Rex, Spot, King, Spike, Cujo, Splat, Max)
  • The Berserker
  • The Blue Blazer
  • The Ultimate Warrior
  • Demolition (Ax, Smash, Crush)
  • Powers of Pain (Barbarian, Warlord)
  • Papa Shango
  • Doink the Clown
  • Abyss
  • Kane
  • Kanyon (while masked, pre-Chris Kanyon)
  • Goldberg (regularly billed from Atlanta or Dawsonville, GA, he was mistakenly billed as “from Parts Unknown” at WCW Road Wild in 1998)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back