Greatest Half Guard Thread Ever

792994470.gif

792999043.gif

792994949.gif

I'm new to this thread. I just wanted somebody's advice on what to do when caught in half guard pin, and unable to establish underhook. (My strategy, just don't get caught there?)
By underhook, I mean that the leg parallel to your outside leg is an underhook, and the other arm posts on the elbow. From there, you can take the back, and sweep the guy into top half guard, or side control, I know at least 3 escapes/sweeps from this position. How do you establish underhooks when the guy has you pinned?

I'm new to this thread. I just wanted somebody's advice on what to do when caught in half guard pin, and unable to establish underhook. (My strategy, just don't get caught there?)
By underhook, I mean that the leg parallel to your outside leg is an underhook, and the other arm posts on the elbow. From there, you can take the back, and sweep the guy into top half guard, or side control, I know at least 3 escapes/sweeps from this position. How do you establish underhooks when the guy has you pinned?

It's a really tricky position to be under so generally yes, you should pay attention to not get caught in the first place as somebody with a decent control can really make life hell from there..

By the way, when I can't put a butterfly hook in case of lack of space, to regain the uderhook I find myself comfortable with the technique here teached by Gerbil:

[YT]TTOmuovToRA[/YT]

Lately I'm working more on getting the deep half even if underhooked which could be a really good solution as well, even if it leaves you at risk of armbars.

I like half guard...sometimes. If i'm on bottom, I pretty good on attaining full guard or baiting my opponent in order to sweep.

Yes, I agree. When ur still in half guard, just continue to roll with the flow of ur partner. This will make it easier for you to pass and keep the grip.

Lloyd Irvin-> Ron Stallings-> Matt Vella-> Me (Blue Belt)

Does anyone still have a download they'd be willing to share of Indrek Reiland's free tutorial called "Functional Half Guard"?

I had just discovered that video two weeks ago for free on youtube. I started working on the drills and found them very helpful. This week I noticed that the video has been removed from youtube and google.

From looking it up, it looks like it had been online for free for years. Just my luck that it gets zapped a week after I found it ;)

Does anyone still have a download they'd be willing to share of Indrek Reiland's free tutorial called "Functional Half Guard"?

I had just discovered that video two weeks ago for free on youtube. I started working on the drills and found them very helpful. This week I noticed that the video has been removed from youtube and google.

From looking it up, it looks like it had been online for free for years. Just my luck that it gets zapped a week after I found it ;)

Aesopian did us all a favor and reposted it here:

What are some good half guard videos? I got Caio Terra's which helped my game a lot. I am looking for some more.

Especially maybe more focus on knee shield and deep half.

i love half guard. it my favorite position but everyone i spar with hate getting caught in it. :)

i haven't had anyone do that to me yet. I guess if you have good enough pressure they can't do anything.

I'm trying to improve my half guard for MMA.

On open sparring nights, we get fighters from other gyms with amateur records, including blue belts. Those nights are the best test of my BJJ for MMA I will get.

When I feel confident enough, I like to let people start on the ground with dominant position. I've gotten decent at it from guard, full mount, side mount, and back mount. Half guard is my weak area where I most often take an ass kicking.

I think I have my new style down and have been having some success threatening a deep half guard sweep or back take, usually to regain full guard but sometimes to get out otherwise.

I'm still nervous about attempting this with strangers and would like to watch some fighters successfully use half guard to escape or sweep and defend themselves. Unfortunately my google-fu isn't cutting it.

Can any of you post a couple mma fights where someone successfully uses half guard to protect themselves in an mma match?

Yeah, I'm just being too critical. I'm not struggling too much. It is just hard.

This is awesome.

I need a pointer.

When you have the underhook and you get to your side in bottom half guard and start to fight to get under them, and they start to go for the choke where they wrap their top overhook under your neck, how do you prevent it or conduct yourself?

What is the quality of the bottom guy's movement that keeps him safe?

I know these are broad questions.

I'm not sure exactly which choke you're talking about (darce or arm in guillotine, I guess), since you're very vague in describing it, but look at this gif from a page earlier.

792994949.gif

Tori is first using a high underhook, which creates a lot of space that uke would have to wrap his arm around, making it difficult for uke to set up a good arm in choke. Second, tori is getting his head low and close to the hip of uke when he switches to the low underhook, such that it would be hard to attack tori's neck without uke comprising their base. Even still, tori can trap the overhook by clamping down with his underhook and perform the roll under sweep shown, ending up in good position to defend arm in chokes from the uke.

I also like to roll under to deep half if I feel someone setting up a guillotine or darce, as makes it difficult to finish either unless they're already in deep on the choke and grips.

I'm not sure exactly which choke you're talking about (darce or arm in guillotine, I guess), since you're very vague in describing it, but look at this gif from a page earlier.

792994949.gif

Tori is first using a high underhook, which creates a lot of space that uke would have to wrap his arm around, making it difficult for uke to set up a good arm in choke. Second, tori is getting his head low and close to the hip of uke when he switches to the low underhook, such that it would be hard to attack tori's neck without uke comprising their base. Even still, tori can trap the overhook by clamping down with his underhook and perform the roll under sweep shown, ending up in good position to defend arm in chokes from the uke.

I also like to roll under to deep half if I feel someone setting up a guillotine or darce, as makes it difficult to finish either unless they're already in deep on the choke and grips.

Thanks.

Cool video.

I was worried about the Darce but found a counter for it that is working.

I wish I could see their feet better!

Back