Greatest Half Guard Thread Ever

Thanks.

Cool video.

I was worried about the Darce but found a counter for it that is working.

I wish I could see their feet better!

I like the one you posted from Gerbil. I use it all the time. Or I should say I TRY to use it all the time. If that over hook is TIGHT sometimes it can be hard to swim your hand back in and get that wrist. If the guy knows it's coming he can also pull it out as you swim back in. But when it works it feels niiiiiiiiiiice!

Does anyone have a page to check in this thread for working from the flat half? When your opponent has head and arm control? Also any good counters to the smash pass? When your opponent is down on his hip and applying a ton of shoulder pressure into your face in order to long step his foot out of your half.

So is this thread dead now?

I dont have a name but i have had alot succes with the sweep shogun hits from there.
He usually does some weird pendulum kick to get momentum and to rock the top guy.
If done correctly the top guy needs to release his underhook to rebase.
Thats when he usually goes for deep half or heelhooks.

Nobody has posted in here in a long time.

Here's my first round match at Master/Senior World's in the absolute division. Still playing that half guard. I made it to the semi-finals, but lost to another super heavy guy by an advantage.

Light feather (141.5) v.s. Super Heavy (222):

Here's my first round match at Master/Senior World's in the absolute division. Still playing that half guard. I made it to the semi-finals, but lost to another super heavy guy by an advantage.

Amazing stuff man. I love it.

Awesome stuff. I love playing half. I like to do a z-guard to deep half kind of stuff like Bernardo Faria. Only a blue now. Can't wait until I get to brown and can start hunting for kneebars.

Amazing stuff man. I love it.

Speaking of resurrection, how has your playing around with hg in an mma context panned out? I would think personally that its a lot more dangerous with strikes involved as compared to pure grappling, but I'd be interested in how your own viewpoint has developed.

Speaking of resurrection, how has your playing around with hg in an mma context panned out? I would think personally that its a lot more dangerous with strikes involved as compared to pure grappling, but I'd be interested in how your own viewpoint has developed.

I don't train with black belts MMA fighters, nor compete, so take this with a grain of salt.

Even against stronger people, I think that the stuff in this video:

Is basically all you need.

I just use lockdown and whip up to get on my side and pummel for the underhook. MMA guys when rolling with gloves almost always want to darce or to kneel on my bottom side arm, so I almost always get the darce killer sweep or plan b sweep. The actual worst case scenario for me is to retreat to open guard if they posture and I can't come up with them, and some people like open guard better.

I really think pummeling and handfighting to block the bicep and get on your side is key. If you can block the arm at the bicep and get your head in close, you don't take much damage.

I don't know anyone who does the tripod passing the Patron Saint of BJJ does, and I'm scared of it / want to learn it.

I don't know anyone who does the tripod passing the Patron Saint of BJJ does, and I'm scared of it / want to learn it.

Yeah, the few top guys I've seen who pass with the reverse sit, to them it seems like half guard isn't even something that exists as a position, just a short stop on the way to 3/4 mount.

Yeah, the few top guys I've seen who pass with the reverse sit, to them it seems like half guard isn't even something that exists as a position, just a short stop on the way to 3/4 mount.

Yeah, the reverse sit / knee cut is my go to and it basically always works.

But I feel like I counter it pretty well. I actually watched that video above, took notes with time stamps, and drilled almost everything in it. They are pretty detailed on how to beat the reverse sit and it seems perfectly avoidable. It is just that almost no one knows how to do it.

too busy eating tacos.

Last edited:
I agree with @SummerStriker in that basic underhook half-guard is a great place to work from. We add the low clamp or G-Roll grip a lot, too; it creates a really effective frame that opens up standing in base, arm attacks, or big space to dive for underhooks.
Long story short, it's good to have an all the way in option, and an all the way out option.

Also, tripod passing is the truth. Our team has always liked to smash and Penn pass, but adding the Maia stuff has made our guard battles a whole different beast. It's worth investing serious time in.

Back