Greatest Hockey Players of All-Time

No Steve Yzerman or Sergei Federov

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

Or Lidstrom

Gretzky is a little ahead on PPG, but the gap between them and #3 is huuuge. As a Penguins fan I have always had to hold that Lemieux was the better player as a pure talent, physical and technically brilliant, but Gretzky was a mastermind. He understood hockey and other players like I doubt anyone ever will again. Gretzky-Lemieux-Orr is the Holy Trinity of hockey, then you have niche GOATs like goal-scorer Bossy, the legends like Maurice Richard or Beliveau, and I think the next generation is the "highlight GOATs" like Ovie, Crosby, Datsyuk, etc.

Man, I love hockey.
Having cancer and a screwed up back taking years away form his prime certainly didn't help. Gretzky is slightly above him in terms of PPG but Super Mario was a more physical threat. It's apples an oranges as far as I'm concerned. As good as the Pens teams in the late 80's to early 90's ere those Oilers teams were probably the GOAT teams in modern history. Would've been interesting if they switched teams. Both guys were winners so not much would change there but I could see a healthy Mario putting up the numbers Wayne did with those Oilers teams.

Wtf ?

Hes never won the cup.

He doesn't make those around him any better.

If you think Ovie is GOAT your either Russian or know absolutely nothing about hockey.

Hes a GREAT goal scorer. Thats it.
@Rawex is an idiot and a professional troll, don't listen to him.

<OKC16>

Hungover? Didnt think it takes this long for you to reply itt :p
If you are hungover why are you up? I just got off work an hour ago and barely saw this thread now.
<GrassoBless>

@Rawex is an idiot and a professional troll, don't listen to him.

<OKC16>

Based on what ive seen i agree on the idiot part but disagree on the professional part.

Thats worst than amateur night at the Apollo levels of trolling.

Based on what ive seen i agree on the idiot part but disagree on the professional part.

Thats worst than amateur night at the Apollo levels of trolling.
If you think i was serious with that post, then you are the idiot.

The game has changed so much over the years you have to make tiers of hockey GOATness

There is the Gretzky-Lemieux-Orr tier that stand alone as the holy trinity

There's the old school goats like Howe and Espo and the rocket

There's the new school goats like Lidstrom-Jagr-Sid etc.

There's the goalie goats like Hall-Sawchuck- Roy- Marty and Hasek

And waaaayyyyyy at the top there is the Auston Matthews tier

Bobby Orr...GOAT CELLY

Bobby_Orr_in_mid-air_%281970%29.jpg

Best fwd: Lemieux
D:Orr
G: Hasek

Having cancer and a screwed up back taking years away form his prime certainly didn't help. Gretzky is slightly above him in terms of PPG but Super Mario was a more physical threat. It's apples an oranges as far as I'm concerned. As good as the Pens teams in the late 80's to early 90's ere those Oilers teams were probably the GOAT teams in modern history. Would've been interesting if they switched teams. Both guys were winners so not much would change there but I could see a healthy Mario putting up the numbers Wayne did with those Oilers teams.
The "if healthy" and "if they switched teams" are both interesting hypotheses. Though being sick and coming back are part of the Lemieux legend, I think if he stays healthy and maybe gets a little more help he smashes 2k points and keeps going up into the 2500+s. I mean, Gretzky had Kurri and Messier his entire time in Edmonton, though of course they had him too. Mario deserved better, he was the guy who really got me into hockey as a kid and saved my favourite franchise a couple times over.

Gretzky is a little ahead on PPG, but the gap between them and #3 is huuuge. As a Penguins fan I have always had to hold that Lemieux was the better player as a pure talent, physical and technically brilliant, but Gretzky was a mastermind. He understood hockey and other players like I doubt anyone ever will again. Gretzky-Lemieux-Orr is the Holy Trinity of hockey, then you have niche GOATs like goal-scorer Bossy, the legends like Maurice Richard or Beliveau, and I think the next generation is the "highlight GOATs" like Ovie, Crosby, Datsyuk, etc.

Man, I love hockey.

In regards to Mike Bossy I would like to a create a thread in the near future for the Greatest Goal Scorers/Power Forwards of All-Time, because those players also hold important legacies. In this case it opens the door to Brett Hull, Marcel Dionne, Mike Bossy, Steve Yzerman, among others.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/history/leaders/_/stat/goals

No Steve Yzerman or Sergei Federov

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

The problem with Sergei Federov was he had multiple Hall of Fame teammates. He will not gain steam in a discussion like this since he was the third or fourth best star on those Stanley Cup teams. IMO Federov was like Grant Fuhr and Jari Kurri with the 1980’s Oilers.

Last edited:
A few that came to mind immediately

Ryan Carpenter
Cody Eakin
Mikhail Grabovski
William Karlsson
Oscar Lindberg
Jonathan Marchessault
Tomas Nosek
William Carrier
Erik Haula
Brendan Leipsic
James Neal
David Perron
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare
David Clarkson
Reilly Smith
Alex Tuch
Steve Yzerman
Deryk Engelland
Brad Hunt
Brayden McNabb
Jon Merrill
Colin Miller
Luca Sbisa
Nate Schmidt
Clayton Stoner
Shea Theodore
Oscar Dansk
Marc-Andre Fleury
Malcolm Subban

This is a thread I have been wanting to do for a long time. Compiling a list of hockey’s greatest legends.

Wayne Gretzky - Center

Mario Lemieux - Center

Gordie Howe - Forward / Right Wing

Maurice Richard - Forward / Right Wing

Bobby Orr - Defenseman

Patrick Roy - Goalie

Mark Messier - Center

Phil Esposito - Center

Jean Beliveau - Center

Glenn Hall - Goalie

Howie Morenz - Center

Stan Mikita - Forward / Center

Ray Bourque - Defenseman

Bobby Hull - Forward / Left Wing

Bobby Clarke - Center

In a list of "old-time" players there is not one Islander or Guy Lefleur? Seriously.

IIRC Patrick Roy was banned from coaching for sending out players to fight in the QMHL

Back