Green Bay Packers 2024: The Power of Love

Soccer takes field conditions actually seriously, so I expect the ground to be far better than the vast majority of NFL grass fields, let alone the artificial turf bullshit.

(unless they do something weird for that one NFL game, for whatever reason)

GettyImages-2148059476-e1712762659327.jpg

According to Flavio from Sao Paulo, "The playing field is a mixture of natural grass with interwoven synthetic fibers, very similar to many NFL fields."

link

So soccer uses the same type of turf so it might stand up to large men pushing each other around. I assume it will be fairly soft or soccer players would be injured when they dive if they get touched.

According to Flavio from Sao Paulo, "The playing field is a mixture of natural grass with interwoven synthetic fibers, very similar to many NFL fields."

link

So soccer uses the same type of turf so it might stand up to large men pushing each other around. I assume it will be fairly soft or soccer players would be injured when they dive if they get touched.
It should definitely be softer unless they modify it for this game, and yes usually hybrid grass is being used these days. Wonder how it holds up if they don't modify it, but it's just one game so it should be fine. If players can play at Soldier Field then nothing will shock them lol.

So, my annual draft post @ralphc1 @Partlow @JackWhite @Fuglee @volodya @INeedARemedy

I will try to keep it short, because I'm already exhausted from all the draft stuff and glad it's finally here. This year the focus in Packers media was more on their tendencies and thresholds more than ever, especially for R1.

- Packers do like highly, highly athletic players in R1, so anyone under 9.00 RAS (except for QB) is not very likely
- they do like to take premium positions like OT, CB, QB, Edge
- they like their R1 picks to be on the younger side
- they rarely pick someone in R1 with a Top 30 visit
- Gutekunst has never picked a player in R1 who didn't have a full testing profile

In general they try to swing for the fences in R1 and try to get someone with a really high ceiling, even if that means the player is a little bit of a project and has a lower floor, especially in the first few years. Packers also have certain specific thresholds for almost every position, but I won't steal other peoples work too much here lol. Often times I feel that R1 strategy leads to straying away from the consensus board, which is a risky move, as it is historically proven (I think PFF did a study on this) that "reaching" based on the consensus board often doesn't work out. Stokes, Quay Walker, Christian Watson (not R1, but pick 34), Darnell Savage were around 50 on the consensus board. But Gute does sometimes do things a little differently, Devonte Wyatt was an old prospect (24), Quay wasn't a premium position, he traded up for Savage and S isn't a premium position.

Most popular mock draft picks this year are Cooper DeJean, Amarius Mims, Graham Barton and Tyler Guyton. DeJean projects more as a slot/safety and doesn't have a full testing profile, but maybe Hafley loves him and would find a nice role. Mims is a rather big OT, but with very good movement skills, but also no full testing profile, more of a project and should be only RT. Barton projects as an IOL, has tested off the charts but skipped explosiveness drills, he's not a project and should be able to start as G or C right away. Guyton has a full testing profile, is on the bigger side, projects as a RT, also probably not a year one factor, he was Andy Hermans ultimate pick if they stay at 25.

My prediction and hope is that they trade down and collect more picks between 40-100, or even for next year. Now to close I will list some players who I know and I think might have a shot to become Packers (more middle to low R1, R2-R5 guys, don't think I need to list high R1 prospects too much), as well as links to consensus big boards. :)

CB (first two are trade up scenarios): Terrion Arnold, Quinyon Mitchell, Kool-Aid McKinstry, Max Melton, Jarrian Jones, Khyree Jackson, Nate Wiggins (maybe too light), Ennis Rakestraw if they have other testing data than the public one
S: Jaden Hicks, Cole Bishop, Javon Bullard, Dadrion-Taylor Demerson, Cooper DeJean
ILB: Edgerrin Cooper (maybe even 25, would not like...), Payton Wilson, Trevin Wallace, Junior Colson
OL (long list): Tyler Guyton, Amarius Mims, Graham Barton, Roger Rosengarten, Patrick Paul, Dom Puni, Blake Fisher, Jordan Morgan, Kingsley Suamataia, Brandon Coleman, Tanor Bortolini, Jackson Powers-Johnson (unlikely, but Myers sucks), Zak Zinter
RB (haven't done a ton of research there): Jonathan Brooks, Jaylen Wright, Will Shipley, Trey Benson, Isaac Guerendo (hopefully if, then late)
TE (unlikely): Ben Sinnott maybe
Edge: Marshawn Kneeland is a good possibility, otherwise no idea
DL: Byron Murphy if he falls, Johnny Newton but unlikely imo, Kris Jenkins, Michael Hall Jr., Maason Smith
WR (unlikely): Johnny Wilson, Malachi Corley, Keon Coleman, Ladd McConkey (but they already have a slot...), Xavier Legette, Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell; I view WR as unlikely, but an option because the 2nd contracts explode and the class is pretty good

If they don't trade out of the first round, all I want is a guy that can legit contribute in year 1. Please Gute, no project players this time, lol.
Would be a really bad time to pick a project guy. The payoff is rarely worth it and by the time they’re productive it requires a new big deal.

If they don't trade out of the first round, all I want is a guy that can legit contribute in year 1. Please Gute, no project players this time, lol.
Would be a really bad time to pick a project guy. The payoff is rarely worth it and by the time they’re productive it requires a new big deal.
I wouldn't have picked Jordan Morgan that early, but he is not a project by any means. He has a ton of experience and should compete to start at Guard or at T if they move Zach Tom. At worst he is a nice 6th guy on the O-Line that will play because almost no starting O-Line stays healthy the entire season lol.

Gute said he had offers to trade down, I'd have taken one of them, but he wanted to have Morgan.

I wouldn't have picked Jordan Morgan that early, but he is not a project by any means. He has a ton of experience and should compete to start at Guard or at T if they move Zach Tom. At worst he is a nice 6th guy on the O-Line that will play because almost no starting O-Line stays healthy the entire season lol.

Gute said he had offers to trade down, I'd have taken one of them, but he wanted to have Morgan.
And we still have three more picks in the top 100? What to use them on?

Btw, I think we will have the best wr room I the league next year, no matter what any of these dorks say/do

And we still have three more picks in the top 100? What to use them on?

Btw, I think we will have the best wr room I the league next year, no matter what any of these dorks say/do
Four more picks in the Top 100! 41, 58, 88 and 91, but knowing Gute he likes to move around on day two, so that should be exciting. :) They need to fill needs at ILB (Junior Colson, Edgerrin Cooper, Payton Wilson are possible), Safety (Jaden Hicks, Javon Bullard, maybe Tyler Nubin as there was a rumor yesterday, Cole Bishop), CB/DB in general (Cooper DeJean still on the board, Kool-Aid McKinstry could be a fit), they can also use one for a RB (Jonathan Brooks, Trey Benson, Jaylen Wright), O-Line still has tons of prospects out there, won't be surprised if they double dip there. They did some work on D-Liners as well. Also look out for Marshawn Kneeland at Edge.

Agreed on the WR room, I think one would have to wow them for them to consider that position early.

No excuses to not have a top 10 scoring defense this year. Gute looks to be putting together another masterclass. Hopefully the team has a good bill of health this year and takes back the North.

My body is ready.

I have mixed feelings about day two to be honest, personally I don't think Gute did a great job moving around for the best possible outcome and instead opted to keep a bunch of Day 3 ammunition, which especially this year isn't worth much. Of course I don't know their exact board and have to assume here, but I feel like he was too passive staying at 41, result was that the Eagles moved to 40 and got DeJean. Gute traded back right away after that, so it's not hard to add 1 and 1. I do like Cooper and Bullard so adding both and some draft capital was still a nice outcome.

But what happened in R3 is not good process in my opinion. Instead of using the some of the plethora of Day 3 picks, he watched valuable O-Liners like Dom Puni, Christian Haynes and Zak Zinter go right before 88 and 91. They still need O-Line depth! They could have done a slight trade up and go get one of the three mentioned O-Liners, or package the two thirds and go way up. I'm fine with Lloyd at RB, Hopper isn't a great pick IMO but we will see.

The board is very thin now, but knowing Gute he will keep all his picks again and not trade up in R4 either lol.

Back