Grip it and riiiip it

BJJ # 3
warm ups same as before, got a killer cramp on the leg raise sit up thing and had to stretch it out.
worked on breaking grips
worked the pass from spider guard to side control
once at side control, arm bar if they turn with that arm, triangle if its the other arm. I needed to work on being closer/tight for the armbar.

same pass to side control, feed top collar left hand that came around head (just like last time), grab other collar with other hand, place knee in back and roll back to put hooks in and take their back, from there, turn to left side and rotate shoulder back as far as possible to apply the choke. I learned to make sure and keep wrist edge in throat and make a tight fist and even put the fist down to apply the pressure. I was making the mistake of having my flat wrist against the throat.

skipped the 1st roll, then rolled 3 rounds. Rounds were 7 mins each. 90 secs rest in between. I guess on tuesdays we start from the standing position. I don't like when people pull guard but thats what everyone did instantly. I learned a guard pass online and it worked a couple times for me today which was sweet. I even got to mount but didnt really know what to do other then armbar which i didnt get. I took someones back for a split second while trying to get the collar choke learned today but he managed to turn and do something magical. I had a hard time keeping people in my guard and half guard was useless.

BJJ # 4
jogging, pushups, jogging, squats
kimura sit ups, leg raise sit ups
breaking grips, moving hips to avoid arm bar/triangle

breaking spider guard overhook with knee to side control, knee on belly, Ezekiel choke. pretty much did this a bunch of times on both sides

rolling, 1st round, skipped 2nd round, rolled 3rd, 4th, and 5th round
got mount twice in my 1st roll and got my first sub with the ezekiel choke from mount. 3rd round the guy took it easy on me and showed me a few moves but none that i would really remember except for a transition from side mount to mount. you basically just slap their knees to the side and at the same time jump over quickly for mount. He also told me at the start to only grip the sleeves if you are going to pull guard, grip the knees against open guard and then belt/waist band in closed guard. 5th round got dominated and the guy kept taking my back but he could never get the sub and i kept rotating into his closed guard.

BJJ # 5
same warm ups as before

spider guard pass to side control, knee on belly to ezekiel choke.

spider guard pass to side control, knee on belly but partner pushes knee back to side and throws an overhand grip around your back. for me, as my knee is pushed to the side, i have to come back in tight and put arm over his his so my elbow is on the side of his head and then put hand on hip near my knee and start walking over to north south position. this walking will break his grips and free up an arm, figure four lock on arm.

rolling, 1st, 3rd, 4th I was gassed today
got the ezekial choke from mount again. almost got the triangle but he got out. I'm sick of people pulling guard all the time but I was looking at some statistics from the pan ams (i think) and its a high percentage move. I learned some super easy collar chokes and then a cool roll over when someone has an arm bar on you with both legs over. I got worked today though and had a hard time with keeping guard/getting out of side mount. This dude with long legs kept sweeping me like nothing. I think I need to review some videos on keeping guard and side mount escapes.

Don't know if pulling guard is actually a high percentage move so much as nearly all BJJ schools start their rolling from their knees despite the fact that competition starts on their feet.

Little training in takedowns + grappling competition = a race to pull guard.

BJJ # 6
same warm ups as before

same pass as before
same submissions as before
new sub, if we cant get the figure four from the n/s position, go for the other arm. with it tight against you, put one leg up over their face and grab inside collar, arm bar

rolled only 1st and 3rd round, felt gassed from the beginning warm ups
got a collar choke from the back and got a side mount escape to work. learned an armbar escape, guard pass, and some grip tips.

Don't know if pulling guard is actually a high percentage move so much as nearly all BJJ schools start their rolling from their knees despite the fact that competition starts on their feet.

Little training in takedowns + grappling competition = a race to pull guard.

There is a specific takedown class that is offered 3 times a week but I can't make it. We start from the feet twice a week in sparring but it barely counts because once you tap in a round, you start from the knees.

Here is the link to the article I read:

Money-Jiu Jitsu (Part 2): Strategies To Win The Pan Ams, The Worlds, and more…

BJJ # 7
same warm ups as usual

Leg drag to side control forever. I'm sure there a bunch of leg drag variations so here is the one we worked. Get grips on knee/pants and grab ankle with other hand and cross it over to your other leg. Make sure its over enough so his knee crease is over your leg. Let go of ankle and grab same side collar while crushing/crossing over with your knee. Everything is tight and the collar grip hand/arm should be tight to your body so your elbow is in front of your knee. his leg will be trapped and his hip. let go of knee grip and go to belt. turn him a bit so he moves and you get side control.

3 straight rounds of rolling, skipped the 4th.
Felt good today since I was concentrating on breathing and not being so tense.

BJJ # 8
same warm ups as usual

same leg drag as last time. Worked to side mount. Same leg drag and worked to back mount. choke from back mount. Arm bar if they are pushing against you when you are on the side of them. Arm triangle in the same position. I'm not the best at arm bars but i like the chokes.

rolled 4 straight rounds
Had no business rolling in the 4th round as I was gasssssssed. 1st round was pretty much me holding half guard and getting back to full guard and then losing it back to half guard. Leaning on the side was key like you guys said. 2nd round I was able to pass a few times and got a shitty bow and arrow choke and then the ezekial choke from mount. 3rd round i just got completely pwned by a blue belt. He was making me gas even when I was in his closed guard. humbling. 4th round was retarded and I tapped a bunch but got a sweet stack and took the back.

Back