Ground and pound is pretty much a thing of the past

elcj

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Remember back in the day, when a fighter got a full-mount it was usually very bad news to for the fighter on bottom, with an incoming brutal G&P?

Most of these fighters train in the same way now and everyone knows how to defend on the ground or when being mounted.

Needless to say, fights are a lot more boring these days and seemingly most of the time, you're pretty much just watching a grappling match. Also grappling seems to get fighters the win the majority of the time, which just pushes them to do it more...

This is number one BS

002_Khabib_Nurmagomedov.0.jpg

I will never forget Jones destroying Vera's eye socket with an elbow from hell. Man young Jones was so destructive.

Fighters are generally much better at getting up now, probably because people realized what a bad strategy it was to hang out in guard.
Also good gnp fighters have always been pretty rare as it takes a lot of control to do effectively. Khabib is probably the best at it right now and even he couldn't finish his last two opponents. Jon Jones and GSP had some of the best gnp and even they abandoned that tactic in favour of being conservative stand-up fighters once they had to start fighting tougher competition.

1. You get so much points for staying on top, that Nobody wants to risk losing position. Better to just lay still And win the round.

2. Cardio suffered after USADA. Better to keep position.

“Most of the time you’re just watching a grappling match. Also grappling seems to get fighters the win the majority of the time, which just pushes them to do it more...”

I have to agree. For the judges, it seems to count more if one keeps a better position on the ground half the round (even if this position doesn’t allow him to cause any damage), than if he gets beaten standing up the other half if the round.

Come on, one was abble to defend the attacker while on the ground. The other one could not defend standing up. And the second wins?

Evolution of the sport but saying GnP is a thing of the past is just silly.You should have just said it's less effective but that would be like making a thread saying the sun is hot.

Weidman vs. Rockhold was won thanks to mount GNP.

This is number one BS

002_Khabib_Nurmagomedov.0.jpg
Lol at Khabib's gnp ....Lee showed how you do Brutal ground and pound Khabib could'nt finish Barboza in 5 rounds but Lee in 2 rounds made Barboza look like Megan Olivi's bed sheets when it's that time of the month

At TS's thread title

<{Joewithit}>

"I'm gonna take him down and ground and pound the fucken shit outta him"

I know what youre saying... it also has a lot to do with how big the fighters are. I feel in the lighter divions these guys are so fucking strong but weigh so little. Its like an ant trying to hold an ant down. Good luck holding a guy down who can lift 3 times his body weight. Makes it even more impressive that khabib is able to do it at 155.

Back