Ground and pound is pretty much a thing of the past

Effective GnP is getting harder to do but...
giphy.gif
GaseousEminentGreendarnerdragonfly-max-14mb.gif
4474018_o.gif
4ed78146013b3b4c40a6ec168d62f172.gif
giphy.gif

It's still around.
Meh. His grappling is smothering but his actual pound aspect of the ground and pound is not amazing. In my humble opinion.

Meh. His grappling is smothering but his actual pound aspect of the ground and pound is not amazing. In my humble opinion.
You're entitled to your opinion. Most pros and high level grappler disagree with you tho.

I have been watching fights for just as long as you if not longer. Why couldnt he finish johnson or barboza? Two standup only guys? His GnP is over rated. He throws no elbows or finishing blows, he just keeps position just like fitch. Its my opinion. If you dont like it, whatever. GSP has shitty GnP too but I loved him.

EDIT: Either that or he just doesnt have any power. Some people dont. Jake shields may have been a better comparison.
4474018_o.gif

2dtb.gif

GaseousEminentGreendarnerdragonfly-max-14mb.gif

He just doesn't have striking power. He throws everything he has into his shots though.
And again, he doesn't sit in full guard ever. He takes a dominant position to throw the hardest shots he can.

I think its semantics. He is smothering but he isn't some brutal gnp guy.

His GNP reminds me of Nick Diaz stand up.
I mean he kinda is. He has a very high output of ground strikes and leaves his opponent pretty fucking busted. He is position focused but is amazing at landing ground strikes from everywhere. He doesn't have devastating power like some others but he is brutal when he throws.

I mean he kinda is. He has a very high output of ground strikes and leaves his opponent pretty fucking busted. He is position focused but is amazing at landing ground strikes from everywhere. He doesn't have devastating power like some others but he is brutal when he throws.
I think the guy above me said it best. He just doesn't have that powerful of strikes. No knock on him, he does everything he can.

I think the guy above me said it best. He just doesn't have that powerful of strikes. No knock on him, he does everything he can.
He doesn't have raw power but I don't think that's the issue.

He doesn't chase the finish. He's ignores a lot of chances he has to go all in on a finish. I think that will change tho. Now that he's in 5 rounders, I think Khabib will be able to start landing late TKOs or subs. It's suits his style better imo.

Khabib style is exactly like Cain's but without the power of a HW. Always in a dominant position and throws relentless ground and pound from every angle.
Cain finishes fights because every HW has power.

Nah. Guys are better at defending but that doesn't mean it's dead. That's like saying the overhand right is dead because guys learned how to duck.

I agree with you as well. Hes a dominant blanket.
Blanket? For real? He out landed Edson 154 to 25 and MJ 140 to 20. That is not a blanket. He isn't chasing finishes but he is far from being a blanket.

Blanket? For real? He out landed Edson 154 to 25 and MJ 140 to 20. That is not a blanket. He isn't chasing finishes but he is far from being a blanket.
I compared him to jon fitch, these numbers seem to indicate im pretty close. He fought Erick Siva and out struck him 82 to 19. That shows a dominate win with big numbers can still be a blanket. The discussion was about how ground and pound isnt as effective as it used to be. My argument is the fighters arent taking the risk to finish the fights so they can remain in a dominate position or continue to advance position without going for big finishes.

I dont know why people are taking these comments so seriously though, GSP was a blanket too and very dominate. He also wasnt very well liked when he left due to this. A lot of fans dont even remember that.

If you really believe this, TS, I think you need to watch some more MMA.

Lol I'd hardly call what Khabib does, Ground & Pound. That pitter patter shit is more akin to just that new style grappling.
It's almost like it doesn't work anymore or somthing....
Maybe a lot of you guys are new to the sport, but back in the day, Ground & Pound was being mounted and having bombs from hell raining on you. Most of the time, you'd be pretty much screwed when that started.

You rarely see that anymore.

Its almost like it doesn't work anymore or somthing....

Back