G's Tactical Barbell / MT Log

June 29 - Muay Thai
Hard session. Started off at an intense pace with circuit training, burpees, sprints. All the warning signs of a hard-moderate sparring session to come. Yup. Lots of sparring. Intensity ramped up. Felt powerful and on my game for most of the class. Outdid a couple students that had been consistently more skillful then me in the past. Nothing more motivating then seeing tangible progress from a training program.

June 30 - Tactical Barbell
Squats......235
Bench........185
Deadlift......245

90% - heavy week

July 1st - Supposed to be MT tonight - but cancelled.

G

Hey meng how's the training going..? Don't know if you caught it....but there's a new article on the tac barbell site about optional modifications to templates...interesting option for Fighter Template...check it out if you haven't already.

Yup I saw that. I'm definitely going to try that modification out after I finish up another 3-4 weeks with this one as is. It would be great to add a 4th exercise like that, that's what I wanted to do originally. Awesome. There are some info gems on that site.

I'm confused about your weights listed, when you list the weight you use for the exercise is it a daily max that you reach or is it done for a set numbers of sets x reps?

Optional training or rest day today. Went with extra training because of MT being cancelled. Met up with a buddy today and did a little light sparring at our gym, then went for an easy pace jog outside - 2 miles.

I'm confused about your weights listed, when you list the weight you use for the exercise is it a daily max that you reach or is it done for a set numbers of sets x reps?

Preset sets x reps/ % of 1 rep max.

The only time you max out or go above 90%-95% on this program are during test days at the end of each phase. Then you repeat the template with your new numbers.

Strength today:

Squats......235
Bench........185
Deadlift......245

90% - Week 6 Day 5 TB

G

Was supposed to be Muay last night but of course classes were cancelled/gym was closed.
Ended up doing a little skipping and shadow boxing at home for 20 minutes.

Today - Week 6 Day 7/Rest!

G

Week 7/Day 1

Muay Thai tonight. Feeling a little bagged, partied a little too much over the weekend. Ah well. I'll sweat it out tonight.

Got a little behind on my posting due to a busy week, but training is still on track. Yesterday (Day 4 Optional rest or workout) I took the rest day. I had a hectic July 4th weekend and appreciated the extra recovery.

Finished up my TB session this morning:

5 x 5/ 75%

Squats.....195
Bench......150
Deadlifts.....200

I've decided to retest when I finish week 9. I am very certain all my lifts have gone up, but the program recommends longer periods of time between RM testing when starting out (9-15 weeks instead of every 3-6 weeks).

G

July 12 - Muay Thai
July 13 - Rest

Started week 8 today - just finished up MT.

G

Week 8 day 2/ July 15 - Strength:

squats....210
bench.....165
deadlift....215
80% RM

Week 8 day 3/ July 16 - MT
Easier pace for this class. Lots of stretching, kicking drills, kicking combos. Almost all class we focused on lower body knees and kicks. No sparring. Light partner drills with pads.

Week 8 day 4/ Today - Optional training or rest day:
Hit the track and did some 100 meter sprints.

G

July 18th - Day 5:

squats....210
bench.....165
deadlift....215
80%

July 19th - Day 6:
MT

Today:

REST

Did my last MT session yesterday. Tac barbell the day before:

Squats......235
Bench........185
Deadlift......245

90%

So I've finished up a 9 week phase. I'll be retesting my maximums on all my lifts, and assessing the last 9 weeks and seeing how it stacked up to my expectations and goals. Before this I used to fuck around with all kinds of complicated cardio routines, extra training and lots of barbell/strength work. That resulted in me losing focus on the entire reason for it in the first place - Muay Thai. As a result of all the complicated fucking around I would routinely skip MT classes, be too tired, or just go through the motions. So the goal of the last 9 weeks was to simplify and get back to basics. I kept it ultra simple. I used a 2 x week strength template, and kept my focus on doing muay thai at least 3 x week. I would get my conditioning from the muay thai. I also had an optional conditioning day once a week.

I'll do my final assessment in a couple days after I retest my weights - but this has been the most productive 9 weeks of my training life (for my goals).

Time to revamp my training and take things to the next level. A little more accountability never hurt, so I'm starting a log.

Goals:

Muay Thai 3 x week. I was doing it only 2 x week regularly.

Switching from SS to Tactical Barbell. TB has a two day periodized 'Fighter' template which looks perfect for what I want. SS was good, but heavy lifting three days a week cuts into muay for me. I get way more benefit from MT than hitting the weights to be honest, so have to readjust my priorities accordingly. From here on in MT's the priority.

Conditioning - majority will come from MT, but I may do an extra HIIT session or steady state long run once a week or so.

Intermittent Fasting - will continue as normal. Break fast at 1pm. Train at around 5. Stop eating at around 9.

My Week:

Day 1: MT

Day 2: Tactical Barbell

Day 3: MT

Day 4: Extra HITT/Conditioning/Kettlebells/calisthenics OR Extra Rest Day

Day 5: Tactical Barbell

Day 6: MT

Day 7: Rest

I'll be using the 'Fighter' template from TB, with a 'Heavy cluster'. I was torn between a 'standard cluster' (only three lifts) vs the heavy which consists of four. Decided to go with the heavy since I'm only doing a two day template, and not a three. The one I chose has me doing:

Bench/ Squats/Weighted pull ups/Deads

Tomorrow, will be Test Day. I'll do all my 1rm's for the above lifts, so I have the numbers for the template I'm using.

G

So after 9 weeks of following the above fairly regularly I'm going to assess my progress and move forward, tweak as necessary.

My overall goal as stated above was to focus on MT. In the past I was averaging two days a week in part due to extra strength and conditioning, life's obligations, and general tiredness/laziness kicking in. I had stopped enjoying MT classes and found I was going through the motions more than anything and my progress was sorta stalled.

My specific goals to achieve the above were to drop my strength training from the 3 x week Starting Strength I'd been doing to a 2 x week strength template. And to increase my Muay Thai to a minimum of 3 training sessions a week come rain or shine. I would have one optional extra conditioning day a week, depending on my energy levels.

For my strength program I was debating between doing a 531 2 x week variation or the Tactical Barbell Fighter template. I ended up going with TB at the suggestion of my brother in law who spent 6 years in special forces and who more importantly also trains MMA hard, and used to do a little boxing in the past. This guy is one of those guys that's always ahead of the curve, played with intermittent fasting back when it was unheard of for example.

So 9 weeks later. My MT skills have increased substantially. Adding in that extra day a week has really taken my game up a notch. Whereas in the past I was in the middle of the pack, now I'm definitely in the top third of my class. My stamina and fluidity has increased. I was concerned that not doing extra cardio would have a negative impact. Turns out I was getting all the conditioning I needed from MT. In hindsight it makes sense. 3 days of sport specific/MT training vs a couple days of sprints and interval training, duh - to get better at MT do more MT! Before this I was getting that lead-leg heavy feeling during training. Zombie mode I call it. Now I feel far lighter, fresher, and I have my head in the game and 'present'. I push now instead of just going through the motions.

Strength portion. Before and after one repetition maximums (9 weeks/twice a week):

Squat 260 / 295
Bench 205 / 225
Deadlift 270 / 310 (PR)

Set a new PR for deadlift. Past PR was 300. Keep in mind this was done while training MT three times a week. So I'll be sticking with Tactical Barbell. Starting Strength was good, but lifting 3 x week was not working out for me. And SS focuses a lot on being well fed, well rested, and gaining weight. As a fighter who also works full time that ain't happening. Plus I see tons of examples in real life of athletes and regular joes getting much stronger without drinking gallons of milk or turning into fatties. Obviously there are other avenues of gaining strength for weight class category athletes. Enter TB. I really liked TB's approach to the weights, slower incremental increases, lots of eastern bloc based periodization, more of staying with the same weight for a while before increases - but bigger jumps. PRs are done only during testing days at the beginning and end of your strength phase.

Another thing I noticed in the whole 'doing less is more' approach was I performed even better when I used my optional rest day instead of doing more cardio or conditioning. Two days of rest seemed ideal.

Looks for the vain: I haven't changed drastically physique wise - I'm a lot leaner/ripped with the extra MT, and my muscles are slightly denser. But nothing drastic.

Negatives? I'm reaching here, but I occasionally miss fooling around in the gym with new workouts, conditioning stuff, kettlebells etc. But again I do have that optional day if I get really bored, or a bad case of fuck-around-itis.

So in conclusion I'll be sticking with my program. I might experiment with a different TB template down the road, but for now I don't want to fix what ain't broken. Three days of MT with only two days of weights is the ticket for me.

The next 12 weeks will be identical to the set up of the last 9.

3 days of Muay Thai, 2 days of weight training, one rest day and one optional rest/conditioning day. For the weights I'll continue using TB's Fighter template - with my new maximums plugged in for the next 12 weeks. Retest after week 12. I was tempted to try a different template but I'm going to resist the urge to tamper with something that's going well for me. All the other templates are 3 x week anyway.

For my optional conditioning day I'll do whatever strikes my fancy - kettlebells, sprints, heavy bag, etc.

I'll start up the log proper tomorrow.

G

Did a little muay thai this morning. Finishing up a transition/deload/rest week so my log proper will start on Monday.

G

Reading about all the burpee challenges going on got me in the mood. Did a 100 burpee workout today:

10 x 10 burpees / rest 1 - 1 1/2 mins between sets

Tomorrow my log officially starts up again.

Next phase (12 weeks) started today. I'll have new/heavier lifting max's from my last run that will provide me with new numbers for the weights this time around. Retest after 12 weeks. No weekly or daily PRs for me.

Today:

Muay Thai - started off with some cals: push-ups, burpees, shadow boxing. Moved on to pad drills (partners). Drilled pretty intensely and then finished off the class with heavy bag work. Lots of emphasis on knees, elbows and clinch this class.

Muay Thai - sparring drills all class. Kicks/knees only - then hands/elbows/clinch - then progressed to full body. Good class. Lots of technique tweaking.

Back