GSP and Namajunas nominated for 2018 ESPY

Who cares? GSP and Rose have about the same chance as I have in actually winning that award lol

Crawford went 3-0 with 3 stoppages and won a title in his 3rd weightclass
Loma went 4-0 with 4 stoppages and won a title in his 3rd weightclass
So they won a title 2 lbs above the previous weightclass he held a title in?

My favourite part about boxing is how there are weightclass differences that equate to one guy just taking a poo and dropping a weightclass.

If you could cite articles detailing that GSP wanted to return at Middleweight prior to Bisping winning the title, that'd be great, because I haven't found any.

What I did find, however, was GSP saying back in October of 2014 that if he returned it would be at Welterweight:

He later reinforced this statement one year later in October of 2015:

And from what I've gathered, talks of Bisping/GSP were brought up in October of 2016 (odd how these three things occurred in October):

I have nothing against St-Pierre, but it's quite evident that he would've never fought at Middleweight had Bisping not won the title. Woodley winning the Welterweight title the same year also likely influenced his decision.

I can't cite any sources from prior to the Bisping fight, I'm not as invested as you. I'm not willing to spend the energy to make the case. Every time I do something like that, you guys just dismiss it. Danaher recently said on Rogan the plan to move to MW happened far before Bisping, but hey, he's probably lying, right?

You're comfortable assuming GSP never would have fought a different MW, and comically you think he worries even a little about Woodley.

I'm not and I don't.

So the fighter of the year fights once in 4 years against a cherry picked opponent ? Lmao

It's not about quantity of fights.
I think a lot of people still underrate what GSP has done. They try to make it as a personality contest. "He choose the easy fight in Bisping".
But it's not that simple. As weak as Bisping can be he was still an absolutely legitimate holder of the MW strap and GSP coming out of retirement and not just decision him, but drop him, choke him out, and capturing the title once held by Anderson Silva is a very impressive accomplishment, which I think has no analogue this year.
I think Bisping was at his best late in his career and deserves way more respect than he gets. Bisping knocked Rockhold out, the guy that many here were saying was the unquestioned best MW. I hate how someone can finish someone and people still talk like the loser is still unquestionably the better fighter. Then why have them fight?

So they won a title 2 lbs above the previous weightclass he held a title in?

My favourite part about boxing is how there are weightclass differences that equate to one guy just taking a poo and dropping a weightclass.

Pretty much.

If MMA had boxing weightclasses, different belts for different promotions and their history of feeding top ten fighters absolute 25W-34L-record-having-40-year-old cans then GSP would be a ten division simultaneous champ and retire undefeated at 70-0.

Best Fighter might be the most absurd category there is. It doesn't seem possible that the winners actually won any form of fan voting. It's supposed to be from July of the previous year to July of this year and yet Conor wins after getting choked out and DJ wins for beating Wilson Reis and a TUF winner. And now Terence Crawford wins for beating Jeff Horn. Heh.

Back